Self censorship!

Lsbcal,

Mixed-sex groups tend to get along best, in my experience (real life as well as on-line interest forums).
I went to an all male university, after attending a normal co-ed high school. I saw very little bad behavior in the university, although there was plenty drinking. I don't remember ever seeing a fight between students is the 4 years of my attendance.

OTOH, I saw plenty fights in high school, usually because of a dispute over some girl which one of the students thought was "his girl", while she apparently took a more outgoing view and easily recruited a male partner to be her counterpart. In fact, depending on the social class of the students, I have noticed plenty girls plotting to instigate fights over some aspect of a hapless guy differently interpreting the meaning of her possibly misleading signals.

It may be different today, because among other things, men know that they are in the line of fire if ever our behavior can possibly be seen as "sexist". Count me absent, unless I have very clear reason to think a particular woman wants me, and unless I think I can well understand the boundaries of this desire.

Remember Chuck Berry? He required a signed and witnessed statement of intentions before he would even talk to a woman.

Ha

I went to an all male university, after attending a normal co-ed high school. I saw very little bad behavior in the university, although there was plenty drinking. I don't remember ever seeing a fight between students is the 4 years of my attendance. OTOH, I saw plenty fights in high school, usually because of a dispute over some girl which one of the students thought was "his girl", while she apparently took a more outgoing view and easily recruited a male partner to be her counterpart. In fact, depending on the social class of the students, I have noticed plenty girls plotting to instigate fights over some aspect of a hapless guy differently interpreting the meaning of her possibly misleading signals. It may be different today, because among other things, men know that they are in the line of fire if ever our behavior can possibly be seen as "sexist". Count me absent, unless I have very clear reason to think a particular woman wants me, and unless I think I can well understand the boundaries of this desire. Remember Chuck Berry? He required a signed and witnessed statement of intentions before he would even talk to a woman. Ha

Ha, was there a nearby all female university at the university you attended? No girls would have made it difficult for me to attend college as that was half the reason I went! :).... Based on my observations in more rural schools, fighting has shifted from a male occurrence to a female one. Though not rampant in either side, I would say the ratio was 5-1 female. Of course it was 95% of the time over a male, though and exacerbated through social media comments. When a fight was brewing with males back in my earlier career you simply told them to wait and do it after school, which they would, and the problem was solved. Of course now that is not acceptable... But with junior high boys, we would just paddle them before it got going and that always took the starch and out their fight britches!

Ha, was there a nearby all female university at the university you attended? No girls would have made it difficult for me to attend college as that was half the reason I went! :).... Based on my observations in more rural schools, fighting has shifted from a male occurrence to a female one. Though not rampant in either side, I would say the ratio was 5-1 female. Of course it was 95% of the time over a male, though and exacerbated through social media comments. When a fight was brewing with males back in my earlier career you simply told them to wait and do it after school, which they would, and the problem was solved. Of course now that is not acceptable... But with junior high boys, we would just paddle them before it got going and that always took the starch and out their fight britches!
Wow, as the world turns. I have never seen girls or women in a physical fight, or hair pulling contest. Must be ugly.

There was no "sister school", though this was a medium size city, and the university had a hospital with nurses and nursing students, and of course graduate students. Plenty of young working women in the city too. Though the 4 year rhythm of school graduations offers a convenient sell by date on comfortable but not necessarily the best relationships. With working women, this is not available unless one is ok with being misleading. Also, there was a steady stream of camel coated blond girls getting off trains on Friday afternoons, and leaving again on Sunday evenings. I found nurses pretty easy to like, as they seemed better grounded than many of Daddy's little darlings from off. I guess most students today are getting very regular weekday as well as weekend sex, so life would have to be more relaxed physically, if perhaps more treacherous socially.

Ha

Last edited:
Wow, as the world turns. I have never seen girls or women in a physical fight, or hair pulling contest. Must be ugly.

It is, back in 73, witnessed 2 girls in a fistfight. One ended up with a broken nose. Don't think the winner had a very good home life. Sbe instigated the fight with a girl that was in the popular crowd.

MRG

This is gonna end up off topic... :(

+1 on the all male school.
I cannot recall a fight... ever. It was an old school college in the 50's with deep traditions, and the main goal of turning out "the well rounded man"..."gentleman".

Learned early on as the school at the time was 90+ % Greek Letter Fraternity, and freshmen all learned gentility... or else!

Girls came from all over... Bryn Mawr, Skidmore, Westbrook Junior College, Wellesley, Mount Holyoke, Smith... etc... Party weekends were chaperoned... with the guys moving out, and the girls moving in to the fraternity houses. Bars in the basement of every Fraternity house, but closed down @ 1:30 AM, guys out. The Fraternity house mother oversaw the morality... a truly different era. The party weekends were awesome... Brubeck, Les Brown, the Glenn Miller Band, Ellington... Imagine... coming to a little school with just 800 students? Lobster feasts at Popham Beach, and Winter Weekend, with the giant snow sculptures... and Homecoming!... incredible parties... Started at 7AM with Bloody Marys...

Except for party weekends... study, study, study... no give away grades. So to tie it back to the subject... :) ... a time and place to learn respect for others... to be sensitive and mature... and when a slapdown happens, a conscience tweak that really hurts.

Well, I went to an all woman's college. At least it was until the year before I got there. My freshman year the female/male ratio was 16:1. We didn't have any fights either. There was no pressure, if one woman didn't want to go out with you one of the other 15 did. Personally I consider attending that college to be one of the very best decisions I ever made. When I'm (hopefully) really really old and lying on my deathbed I'll be smiling as long as I still have some of those memories.

Very off topic, but I was observing to Mr. A., that if we had a son (which we don't) I would advise him to be very, very careful about being alone (let alone intimate) with any woman until he knew her well and could be sure of her intentions. Same as what was drummed into me from age 13 about male human beings. The recent case of the football star, accused of rape a year after a casual sex encounter, has made it evident that it's not just girls and women who "shouldn't have been there, at that time, with that man, wearing/not wearing those clothes, you were asking for it." Nowadays, we see that men "ask for it," too.

Amethyst

It may be different today, because among other things, men know that they are in the line of fire if ever our behavior can possibly be seen as "sexist". Count me absent, unless I have very clear reason to think a particular woman wants me, and unless I think I can well understand the boundaries of this desire.

Remember Chuck Berry? He required a signed and witnessed statement of intentions before he would even talk to a woman.

Ha

Well, I went to an all woman's college. At least it was until the year before I got there. My freshman year the female/male ratio was 16:1.

That was one of the two big reasons I took a typing class in high school. I was one of two guys in a classroom of girls.

The other reason I took the class was that I knew they couldn't make you buy a typewriter and therefore there would be no homework for that class.

In spite of my reasons for taking it that class proved to be one of the most practical and most-used skills I picked up in HS.

Well, I went to an all woman's college. At least it was until the year before I got there. My freshman year the female/male ratio was 16:1. We didn't have any fights either. There was no pressure, if one woman didn't want to go out with you one of the other 15 did. Personally I consider attending that college to be one of the very best decisions I ever made. When I'm (hopefully) really really old and lying on my deathbed I'll be smiling as long as I still have some of those memories.
Great story Harley!

But I have to say that is NOT one of the reasons I went to engineering school.

Although I have to say they were very nice men and very welcoming and I have great memories of the camaraderie. What a change from high school!

Harley made a much wiser college choice than you other two old guys! No brainer! Good job, Harley!! You get a gold star for that one. :)

I personally hate big groups of women. Never could imagine working in a female dominated profession for that reason, like teaching or nursing. Ugh! Co-Ed life for me, all the way.

Heh, I went to all-male, all-scholarship Jesuit high school. College at one of the more infamously liberal colleges in the US was an experience that required more than a little adjustment.

I met DW when we were both living in the same dorm (which was a co-op dorm with co-ed cattle showers), so I must have figured it out.

Well, I went to an all woman's college. At least it was until the year before I got there. My freshman year the female/male ratio was 16:1. We didn't have any fights either. There was no pressure, if one woman didn't want to go out with you one of the other 15 did. ....

How many years did it take you to graduate? Anything less than about 15 just doesn't sound right! ;)

-ERD50

I personally hate big groups of women.

However, in small groups they can be wonderful!

How many years did it take you to graduate? Anything less than about 15 just doesn't sound right! ;)

Well, I met the future DW junior year, and she decided I should get out of there pretty much on schedule.

Back
Top Bottom