Newly Retired - 4 month update

My wife and I married fairly young, me 23, her 18. Her oldest brother had agreed to officiate our wedding, but wanted to "counsel" us. So we drove three hours north to meet him at his home, staying overnight so he could "counsel" us independently. After the three hour drive and two days of interrogation, her brother stated he was no longer going to marry us. Said we had too many arguments, were immature (yeah, we were young), and would never last (our 37th anniversary is in November). We left immediately and my wife was fuming the whole three hour drive back home. [emoji4]

Thankfully, the pastor of her church agreed to marry us at the last minute, albeit with more (less invasive) counseling. For reasons I'll never know, he was never fond of me, but the wedding went well.

Her best friend was supposed to be her maid of honor, but had to back out at the last minute when her mother-in-law passed away. They held the funeral service in the same sanctuary a couple hours before we got married there. [emoji4] Thankfully, her oldest sister agreed to step in and luckily the brides maid dress fit her well.

So, it was a rocky start, but we're coming up on 37 years. :)

Hopefully 37 good years. Not implying anything about your marriage but I think when people talk about the length of their marriage, it helps to understand whether they were or are happily married (like Brett did). People stay married for all kinds of reasons not having anything to do with a good marriage - the church, children, money, community, friends, tradition, pride, etc, etc all the while being deeply unsatisfied. Sad indeed given the one life we have to live.

Last edited:
Hopefully 37 good years.

Absolutely! She's my best friend and we love to spend time together. Sure, we've had our hard times, but we loved each other enough to work through them all. I can't imagine being with anyone else. Hopefully we'll get another 20-30 years together.

My husband and I have worked from home together for 18 years. We have had problems with intimacy, too.

Recently, we started kissing each other goodbye before we leave the house, even for when one of us walks the dog. It might be just a kiss on the head if one of us is on the phone. I think it is helping us stay in touch.

My husband and I have worked from home together for 18 years. We have had problems with intimacy, too.

Recently, we started kissing each other goodbye before we leave the house, even for when one of us walks the dog. It might be just a kiss on the head if one of us is on the phone. I think it is helping us stay in touch.

Touch is incredibly important for partners. Just passing in the hall we often just reach out and touch one another.

Back
Top Bottom