Newly Retired - 4 month update

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My wife's last day of work was April 28, 2023. While I am technically still self employed, I haven't done any real work since then other than answering a few emails and taking care of some finances. Despite that, I still have a few hundred dollars trickle in each month, which helps provide a little play money for dinners or activities.

Today marks 4 months since we retired, and so far it has gone very well. With no alarm to jolt us out of bed each day, we go to bed whenever we want (usually 9:30pm) and get up whenever we want (usually 7am). I have been working from home for several years, so I already have a basic morning routine that really hasn't changed much now that we're retired. My wife is still struggling a bit to try and develop a daily routine. Our afternoons are generally open to take care of errands or do whatever we want.

I think our biggest surprise has been how busy we are. It seems we need to do something almost every day, whether that's grocery shopping, tending to our mother's, helping family, or doing projects around the house. We often say to each other "how did we ever have time to work". :) I'm hoping things will settle down a big once the weather turns cold and wet again. I have a long back log of photos to label, home videos to edit, and other miscellaneous projects.

I thought finances would be our biggest concern once we retired, but we really haven't given it much thought. We are still living off our personal savings account until my wife starts receiving her pension at the end of September. We have spent a bit more than usual over the last four months, but most of the extra was for one time home projects or vacations. I had planned for extra spending the first five years anyway, so we're still well within that allowance. We still have about 2-3 years of expenses in our savings account, then another 3-4 years in 5% CD's in my Roth IRA. That basically gives us guaranteed income until we start taking social security, at which point SS and my wife's pension will more than cover our expenses. The remainder of our retirement accounts are in S&P 500 that can continue to grow until we need it for something.

We had a few hurdles setting up health insurance initially. Because we basically have no income for five months, we are currently on medicaid, but we'll have to go through the health insurance thing again in October after my wife's pension starts, and will probably go on an ACA (Obamacare) plan at that time.

We took one week long road trip through Idaho last month, and are planning another week long trip through northern California in November. We also did a few overnight getaways locally in May. We really enjoyed them all, but I don't see us doing many other getaways until next summer.

I wasn't sure how our relationship would change once we retired and were spending every day together. Overall it has been great, no issues. One unfortunate change has been a decline in intimacy. This really surprised me, as I expected things to get better without the stresses and distractions of work life. Even something as simple as the 15-20 minute cuddling we used to do each morning before starting our days has diminished. My wife tends to sleep later than me, and she gets annoyed if I wake her up to cuddle. I don't want to lay there awake for another 30-60 minutes, so I usually just get up and let her rest. Once we're both up, there just never seems to be a good time during the day to be intimate. I often feel like I gained a room mate but lost a lover. So that's probably the biggest relationship area to work through in our new normal.

My wife has also been much more involved with friends and family than I expected. She's not the type to say no to anything, so she agrees to most things anyone asks her to do. I wouldn't mind except many of those agreements mean I am obligated to help out with family projects. And I have a difficult time saying no to my wife.

She had big plans to work on crafts after she retired, but so far has struggled to find direction and motivation to keep working on individual projects. I'm sure these are just growing pains and she'll eventually figure out a system that works for her.

She has taken on more home duties like dishes and cooking than I expected. I was usually always the one to take care of these things so it was a surprising, though not unwelcome, change.

Anyway, four months in and we're doing well. Most of the things I worried about have been non-issues, and the things we are struggling with most are things I didn't really think about. In any case, neither of us have any regrets and are loving retirement.

My wife's last day of work was April 28, 2023. While I am technically still self employed, I haven't done any real work since then other than answering a few emails and taking care of some finances. Despite that, I still have a few hundred dollars trickle in each month, which helps provide a little play money for dinners or activities.

Today marks 4 months since we retired, and so far it has gone very well. With no alarm to jolt us out of bed each day, we go to bed whenever we want (usually 9:30pm) and get up whenever we want (usually 7am). I have been working from home for several years, so I already have a basic morning routine that really hasn't changed much now that we're retired. My wife is still struggling a bit to try and develop a daily routine. Our afternoons are generally open to take care of errands or do whatever we want.

I think our biggest surprise has been how busy we are. It seems we need to do something almost every day, whether that's grocery shopping, tending to our mother's, helping family, or doing projects around the house. We often say to each other "how did we ever have time to work". :) I'm hoping things will settle down a big once the weather turns cold and wet again. I have a long back log of photos to label, home videos to edit, and other miscellaneous projects.

I thought finances would be our biggest concern once we retired, but we really haven't given it much thought. We are still living off our personal savings account until my wife starts receiving her pension at the end of September. We have spent a bit more than usual over the last four months, but most of the extra was for one time home projects or vacations. I had planned for extra spending the first five years anyway, so we're still well within that allowance. We still have about 2-3 years of expenses in our savings account, then another 3-4 years in 5% CD's in my Roth IRA. That basically gives us guaranteed income until we start taking social security, at which point SS and my wife's pension will more than cover our expenses. The remainder of our retirement accounts are in S&P 500 that can continue to grow until we need it for something.

We had a few hurdles setting up health insurance initially. Because we basically have no income for five months, we are currently on medicaid, but we'll have to go through the health insurance thing again in October after my wife's pension starts, and will probably go on an ACA (Obamacare) plan at that time.

We took one week long road trip through Idaho last month, and are planning another week long trip through northern California in November. We also did a few overnight getaways locally in May. We really enjoyed them all, but I don't see us doing many other getaways until next summer.

I wasn't sure how our relationship would change once we retired and were spending every day together. Overall it has been great, no issues. One unfortunate change has been a decline in intimacy. This really surprised me, as I expected things to get better without the stresses and distractions of work life. Even something as simple as the 15-20 minute cuddling we used to do each morning before starting our days has diminished. My wife tends to sleep later than me, and she gets annoyed if I wake her up to cuddle. I don't want to lay there awake for another 30-60 minutes, so I usually just get up and let her rest. Once we're both up, there just never seems to be a good time during the day to be intimate. I often feel like I gained a room mate but lost a lover. So that's probably the biggest relationship area to work through in our new normal.

My wife has also been much more involved with friends and family than I expected. She's not the type to say no to anything, so she agrees to most things anyone asks her to do. I wouldn't mind except many of those agreements mean I am obligated to help out with family projects. And I have a difficult time saying no to my wife.

She had big plans to work on crafts after she retired, but so far has struggled to find direction and motivation to keep working on individual projects. I'm sure these are just growing pains and she'll eventually figure out a system that works for her.

She has taken on more home duties like dishes and cooking than I expected. I was usually always the one to take care of these things so it was a surprising, though not unwelcome, change.

Anyway, four months in and we're doing well. Most of the things I worried about have been non-issues, and the things we are struggling with most are things I didn't really think about. In any case, neither of us have any regrets and are loving retirement.

Gosh I didn't want to reply to this BUT we seem to keep the same hours. The intimacy issue IS something that needs to be handled. My DW and I both take testosterone treatments and that has worked wonderful. She is 7 years younger and we both have the same MD and similar issues. Now we both are on the same page in that department. For both of us that has never been better. And it is nice that we have time for that important activity. Need I say more. Lastly that issue should trump the financial analysis!!

Give it a try and enjoy your next chapter.

FWIW it took me
  • 2 weeks to stop waking up at 4:45am (no alarm clock) and jumping out of bed to get ready for work. I had to stop and remind myself I didn’t have to go to work!
  • 2 months to begin to get a new routine underway, but I still dreamed about (fictional) problems at work too often
  • 2 years to settle in, get into a new network of friends & activities (all my pre-retirement friends were still working for many years after I retired) and forget about my former career

Interestingly the routine and activities we enjoy now, are mostly not what we expected. e.g. I thought we’d spend a lot of our free time boating (we owned and raced sailboats for 25 years while working). We slowly lost interest, partly due to the high expense, and I raced OPB for about 5 years. Since then we have been boatless for 4 years now - with no regrets.

We planned to retire in Mystic CT, we chose NC instead.

I assume it’s a gradual transition for all of us? And an ever changing journey (I hope).

We are now about 3 months into retirement and we did move to MYSTIC, CT!

We boated here for ten seasons before buying and ultimately moving here. Not as much boating this year as we moved, had home renovations, new (used) boat to work on/modify/upgrade.

All in all things are going well. Travel will start this winter and next year we hope to seriously use the boat. I figure we have maybe ten good years on the water ahead of us before it gets to be too much.

Still working one the social /friends side of the equation. That is definitely lacking at the moment. Our close boating friends moved away - so need to make new ones. I am still trying to adjust to the reality of not being on call/stressed etc..

The money thing that I thought would completely stress me out has turned out to not be an issue. Spent some on home renovations/boat but I think we are going to be just fine.

I even have caught myself smiling once or twice...:)

we seem to keep the same hours.

I honestly expected to wake up at the same time we did while working (5:30am), but that only lasted a few days before 7am became the new natural norm.

The intimacy issue IS something that needs to be handled.

I agree. I have the drive and try to make the effort, but my wife always seems to be focused on something else. Sucks, but we'll figure it out. I'm trying to be patient and give her time to adjust to her new life at home. She's still struggling to find where to focus her time and energy.

Thanks for sharing your updates! Also newly retired and loving it! I thought I’d be a bit blue and miss working as I left a demanding yet rewarding position, worked many hours and enjoyed my career. Not the case! I jumped right into daily pickleball, lifting weights at the gym; errands and just general things that I haven’t got to around the house take up the day! Planned a couple trips this spring and seeing more family and friends than I had before.

Last edited:
mountainsoft--sounds like you are both settling into retirement, each in your own time.
It took me a bit longer than my DH, and at almost 7 years in, still don't have a set schedule, but that is part of the joy of retirement for me--each day is opportunity for something new.
Perhaps some walks together to talk may help with the intimacy area. Dh and I often go for walks or short drives in the evening to discuss issues that creep up. Retirement did change our relationship, something I was not expecting. But with open conversation, it is much better.

Thanks for the complete report. I think it may be very instructive to those anticipating pulling the plug.

By the way, I recall more than one fellow retiree suggesting they are so busy now they didn't know how they had time to w*rk.

Could the Op have not done some Roth conversions to show as income to count towards qualifying for ACA health care insurance?

Could the Op have not done some Roth conversions to show as income to count towards qualifying for ACA health care insurance?

All of our retirement savings are already in Roth accounts. I converted our traditional IRA's to Roth over the last several years (while we were still working) to keep our taxable income as low as possible in retirement.

We've had no problem with Medicaid coverage. Our medications are free, doctor visits are free (same doctors we had when my wife was working), and there are no premiums to pay. Heck we even get $30 off our internet bill by being on Medicaid (Affordable connectivity program). There were some hiccups with the mid-year application, but otherwise it has been fine.

Of course, once my wife's pension starts next month, we will earn too much for Medicaid and have to switch to an ACA plan (and go back to paying full price for internet).

We started early retirement with seven months of independent international travel.

After spending four months in Europe and Africa we snagged a last minute transatlantic cruise from Rome to Florida in November.

We rented a car and Florida/ New Orleans for three weeks. We had a one month condo in Costa Rica organized for the following month.

We stopped in Melbourne beach for a few days. Got a great deal at the Hilton right on beach. Very nice.

There was a meeting room business function just letting out for a break. Suits and business casual. My spouse saw them coming out for a break and said to me....do you miss that? She told me later she expected a yes or at the very least a neutral comment.

She got the opposite response to what she expected. It made me realize how fortunate I was to have retired at the right time for me. Another business meeting was the last thing in the world that I wanted.

She knew I was serious about never looking back by my response! We continued on our way to swim and to walk the beach.

Eleven years later this workaholic has never looked back. Did not miss my working life/career for a moment.

Life is ahead of us, not behind.

Last edited:
We've had no problem with Medicaid coverage. Our medications are free, doctor visits are free (same doctors we had when my wife was working), and there are no premiums to pay.
Would you mind to share which part of Washington State do you live in?
In my area, none of the doctors affiliated with Sutter Health/PAMF accept Medicaid. On paper, they accept ACA but I have yet to see if it is true or nor.

Would you mind to share which part of Washington State do you live in?
In my area, none of the doctors affiliated with Sutter Health/PAMF accept Medicaid. On paper, they accept ACA but I have yet to see if it is true or nor.

Clark County, Washington State.

We had Kaiser during my wife's working years, and Kaiser accepts Medicaid too (I think it's a fairly new addition). Other than the billing change, we have the same doctors and coverage we've had for years. So far, I haven't seen any difference in care, other than medications are free.

That said, we haven't needed to see a doctor since we retired, so our experience is limited. All we have done is refill prescriptions and sent a couple emails to doctors. There may be other restrictions we haven't run into yet.

In any case, we will make too much to qualify for Medicaid in October, so we'll have to switch to an ACA plan (most likely staying with Kaiser to keep things simple).

I would be careful about letting your relationship evolve in a roommate situation unless you have both talked about it and are satisfied with it. I retired and my wife continued working and it developed into a roommate relationship and, without going into details, it led to our divorce.

We are both OK 6 years later. We continue to be friends but we have gone our separate ways.

I would be careful about letting your relationship evolve in a roommate situation unless you have both talked about it and are satisfied with it. I retired and my wife continued working and it developed into a roommate relationship and, without going into details, it led to our divorce.

We are both OK 6 years later. We continue to be friends but we have gone our separate ways.

How long did the roommate situation go on?

2-3 years and I finally had enough. We had a similar circumstance 15 years earlier and we went to marriage counseling. This time, at a much different stage in our lives, I didn’t want to go that route again. As I mentioned, we are both doing well. Retirement, as we all know, involves some big changes and adjustments. Everyone has their own circumstances. When I read about lack of intimacy and “roommate” I felt that it was worth advising that this can be serious for some people.

I'm sorry to hear that. I made our situation sound worse than it is. We're still being intimate at least once a week, usually 2-3 times a week. It just feels like a bigger issue when you have more desire than your partner does. :)

Over the last 40 years my wife and I have both gone through periods where our libido has dropped to almost nothing. It's not fun for either partner when that happens, but I think it's to be expected in a long term relationship. Especially when there is a big life change like retirement.

In any case, things have already started improving. My wife is settling into her hobbies more and seems happier now. She is finding purpose and direction and that is translating into better intimacy as well.

Retirement is a big change from her day job. Once we got past the excitement of vacations and activities, we're having to learn new day to day routines. You can't just flip a switch and become a different person. It takes time but we're enjoying the journey...

One thing that has impacted our retirement and given us the stimulus to move forward and do things rather that sit home is the number of former colleagues and relatives in their late 50's to mid 70's who have passed away since we retired. Or those who are combatting serious health issues that negatively impact their quality of life and activities.

It impressed on us to be thankful for our good health and the absolute need to make the best of our lives given our shrinking horizon while we have the health and the desire to do so.

It has been 49 years for us. We come from very different liberal and conservative backgrounds, large cosmopolitan city upbringing vs closed small town life, have very different faith beliefs and to some extent different political beliefs. We attribute part of this longevity to the understanding and learnings that come from moving to various disparate parts of the country for our careers and many years of international business and leisure travel.

These differences have made us both change to a certain extent but neither of us started marriage with the mistaken intent of changing the other. If anything I believe these differences strengthened our bond. We are both very much our own person. We seldom focus on the why, most always on the why not.

Last edited:
DW and I are very similar in the basics of politics and faith, etc. We do have a lot of differences in how we approach things (I'm "logical" and she is "instinctive.")

But what has helped us as we've approached and then begun living our retirement: We each have our roles and we honor those roles. For instance, she does the day to day finances (check book, bank depositis, etc.) I do the long term planning and execution. It's w*rked pretty well for 18 years.

Last edited:
I know the exact time that DW decided it was past time to leave Dodge as it were and move on. She had just graduated for nursing. We were off to see her Pastor about doing the marriage ceremony.

The Pastor was one of those fire and brimstone, wives obey your husbands types. Small town, here family primarily only associated with people in the same faith. Very closed. On my side I had close family members who were Protestant (various), Catholic, Jewish, Greek Orthodox. Alphabet soup.

The Pastor seemed to focus on three things. Would I follow his denomination (no, I would not). Were we going to have children. All of her siblings, friends got married early and had children. We were not certain that we wanted children and if we did that decision would be several years away at the very least. The ask was then the if we did have children would they be raised in his faith/denomination question (we had already discussed and decided NO). I could see her reaction to his questions and his attitude/approach. She was giving him the 'look'.

It was all over two minutes later when I asked for a yes or a no because if it was a no we needed to go across the street as it were. She was starting a new job in another city, I was continuing on at university in that city. He said yes but neither of us were impressed. We went with him for her family, not for us. We agreed then that from that day forward neither of us would put up with nonsense like that from anyone or pretend that we would.

That very early experience brought us together in more ways than simply accepting and adopting to each other's differences. Despite those differences we were on the exact same page as each other.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that. I made our situation sound worse than it is. We're still being intimate at least once a week, usually 2-3 times a week. It just feels like a bigger issue when you have more desire than your partner does. :)

Well well....now that you said this I think you are OK!!

Well well....now that you said this I think you are OK!!

Yeah, 2 - 3? I'm impressed (as is DW!) Carry on.:cool:

When the weather is good and we are not away from home, we do a 5.5KM hike together most every day. For health and for enjoyment reasons.

And often than not we drive into the mountains together for the afternoon...other than on weekends or vacations.

DW loves Italy. So I know that if I want to visit a country she is not sure of, it is best to combine it with even a few days in Italy at one or both ends of the trip

Our trip next week is an exception. Straight to Morocco for a month-one stop/change in Montreal. She said why not, let's do it.' So we are.

Last edited:
It was all over two minutes later when I asked for a yes or a no because if it was a no we needed to go across the street as it were. She was starting a new job in another city, I was continuing on at university in that city. He said yes but neither of us were impressed.

My wife and I married fairly young, me 23, her 18. Her oldest brother had agreed to officiate our wedding, but wanted to "counsel" us. So we drove three hours north to meet him at his home, staying overnight so he could "counsel" us independently. After the three hour drive and two days of interrogation, her brother stated he was no longer going to marry us. Said we had too many arguments, were immature (yeah, we were young), and would never last (our 37th anniversary is in November). We left immediately and my wife was fuming the whole three hour drive back home. :)

Thankfully, the pastor of her church agreed to marry us at the last minute, albeit with more (less invasive) counseling. For reasons I'll never know, he was never fond of me, but the wedding went well.

Her best friend was supposed to be her maid of honor, but had to back out at the last minute when her mother-in-law passed away. They held the funeral service in the same sanctuary a couple hours before we got married there. :) Thankfully, her oldest sister agreed to step in and luckily the brides maid dress fit her well.

So, it was a rocky start, but we're coming up on 37 years. :)

My wife has five siblings.

The three that married in their own faith/denomination all had children immediately. The usual for them.

All were divorced within 15 years. Those were the ones who were in the 'wives obey your husbands' and 'never divorce' nonsense crowd.

Similarly, all three did not think our marriage would work. Different faiths, backgrounds, outlooks, politics etc. Happily married for 49 years!

We were fortunate. We moved 2000 miles and stayed away....best thing we ever did.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom