Self sufficient in Thailand

97guns

Full time employment: Posting here.
Not sure how this thread will be recepted.... as a brag or gloat but I’d like to share anyways. I’m in Thailand visiting in laws for 3 months and am getting a first hand look at their lifestyle. Their household is 3 people, the mother and father in law and brother in law with a monthly income of no more than $200 usd. They have a big farm and grow their own rice, fish, frogs, shrimp, crab, snails, chickens, eggs, mango, bananas, papaya, ginger, garlic, onions and a slew of other vegetables and herbs. They sell bananas and rice as part of their income trade/barter other things, they live very simple and comfortably, my wife’s father bets on muai Thai boxing every weekend and chicken fights during the week and does really well, bringing home $10 on a good day.

couple of shots of my brother in law and step son fishing the rice patties, a banana harvest that yielded $8 USD, some baby snakehead fish and snails they are for dinner and a load of honey from a beehive my father in law found.

majm36.jpg

24v09zk.jpg

6yo3mv.jpg

2ijhzld.jpg

15ag0h.jpg

We built this house for them that’s a 3/2 main house with a 1 bedroom in laws quarters that has its own bathroom and kitchen and a huge open air kitchen/living room for $80k usd, it got appraised for $125k, labor is really cheap here only $8k total

2a9ckg6.jpg

Id like to live here some day

I’d like to see more house pics. Is this in the country or near the city?

People can live very well in the developing world on little and often quite happy. Most of them are really hard working and bring that value when they come to this country. How is the healthcare situation for the average poorer person in Thailand?

I spent two years in Thialand in the late 60s and early 70s in the latter portion of the Vietnam War. The people were very friendly. As much as I hate flying, I could see myself going over there just to see how it is now.

People can live very well in the developing world on little and often quite happy. Most of them are really hard working and bring that value when they come to this country. How is the healthcare situation for the average poorer person in Thailand?

insurance is free for my wife’s family from the govt, they pay $1 for a doctors visit but it takes the mother 6-8 hours to go and get a blood draw.

Most people in the world would run away from that kind of life. They want to work and live in cities where money and opportunities are.
Simple life is very easy to maintain, but many people need more than that.

I thought life in Hawaii was slow paced but it’s much slower here, makes me stop to wonder what I would be doing if I was born and raised here, probably selling some kind of food at a hawker stand or farming like they do. it also makes me stop to think do they have the good life or do we?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I actually think the farming/foraging/rural life sounds pretty good. I could definitely eat that kind of food. I have a big garden here in the USA Midwest, and I do some foraging for wild foods, but not to the extent that they do. I'm sure their lifestyle is not for everyone, but I can see where it would be quite appealing in many ways.

I thought life in Hawaii was slow paced but it’s much slower here, makes me stop to wonder what I would be doing if I was born and raised here, probably selling some kind of food at a hawker stand or farming like they do. it also makes me stop to think do they have the good life or do we?

People like that stay well entertained with village gossip and the men drinking liquor with their buddies (partially kidding but there’s quite a bit of truth in this). Seriously though, people enjoy the company of their friends and neighbors with a lot of unplanned encounters.

‘it also makes me stop to think do they have the good life or do we?’

I spent a short time in the poorer areas of Mexico (border town) and was amazed at how happy the kids who had nothing as far as we were concerned seemed. An old soccer ball to kick in their yard was sufficient.

Yes, my son in law rarely asks for anything like a toy, their wants are usually clothing and food. their lifestyle seems to be centered around food, it’s what they enjoy and look forward to, if there is any splurging it’s on food. We’re eating breakfast and they’re thinking about lunch and dinner, they are always 1 meal ahead, it’s everything to them including their entertainment.

And yes friends and family are a big part of their lifestyle, sitting around talking(gossiping) and drinking

There’s also 1 similarity of their lifestyle to our American and I was very surprised by it, they all use credit and most are in debt, some pretty deep

I have been in Thailand many times and stayed with local rural families in Vietnam twice this year.

People in those areas may have food and very little other things. What they need most is money or cash, if none of their family members works for a job. People on welfare in the U.S. are in a better shape than those in rural areas in SE Asia (or Mexico).

I have been in Thailand many times and stayed with local rural families in Vietnam twice this year.

People in those areas may have food and very little other things. What they need most is money or cash, if none of their family members works for a job. People on welfare in the U.S. are in a better shape than those in rural areas in SE Asia (or Mexico).

I have to disagree. I have had a lot of low income tenants over the years and the suffering and degradation and lack of joy I’ve seen are beyond sad. They may have more material comforts but the mental anguish and lack of connection to community and family support don’t make up for it. I’ve see the opposite with poor immigrant tenants. Despite poverty, they find joy in each other and cooperate for survival to an extent you never see among other groups of poor people in the US despite all the sneakers, televisions, food and government provided housing.

Yes, my son in law rarely asks for anything like a toy, their wants are usually clothing and food. their lifestyle seems to be centered around food, it’s what they enjoy and look forward to, if there is any splurging it’s on food. We’re eating breakfast and they’re thinking about lunch and dinner, they are always 1 meal ahead, it’s everything to them including their entertainment.

Their entire life is based around gathering food. This is a form of work whether anyone wants to view it like that or not. Thailand is really poor...people have to fend for themselves in this way. You said they enjoy it...which isnt any different than someone in the states enjoying work (where they get paid.) Again...just a different perspective.

Here in the states people work for money...which they exchange for food. Most of us would rather someone else prep the food for us.

The amish for the most part live off the land. Their entire day consists of doing stuff on a farm setting. They dont want for much...tend to livestock, plow fields, etc etc. I dont see much difference.

Son and daughter in law live in N Thailand. If I'm remembering correctly they said daily wage for unskilled labor is about 100 baht = 3 bucks USD. Not uncommon for employer to provide lunch. We've visited a few times and I would agree that the food/ meal planning is a big part of the Thai culture. I'm always amazed at how quickly they whip up a meal on a single burner stove top. It's a beautiful country, but I have a hard time with the heat. I think that leads to a slower pace of life.

Son and daughter in law live in N Thailand. If I'm remembering correctly they said daily wage for unskilled labor is about 100 baht = 3 bucks USD. Not uncommon for employer to provide lunch.

The minimum wage in Thailand varies from 308-330baht/day depending on the province. It is expected in Thailand, as in other SE Asian countries, that the children will take care of the parents financially as they get older (retirement). If you marry a Thai women that obligation will likely fall on your shoulders.

Their entire life is based around gathering food. This is a form of work whether anyone wants to view it like that or not. Thailand is really poor...people have to fend for themselves in this way. You said they enjoy it...which isnt any different than someone in the states enjoying work (where they get paid.) Again...just a different perspective.

Here in the states people work for money...which they exchange for food. Most of us would rather someone else prep the food for us.

Well, I may be in the minority, but I enjoy growing, prepping, and cooking my own food. Sure, I sometimes pay for others to do that for me, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of doing that stuff myself also. I do think there is a difference between working in an office setting (for example), and living/working close to the land. There's a big difference for me, anyway. I'm not saying you can't find some satisfaction in office-type jobs, and of course the money helps buy food and other necessities, but you do not have the same connection to the land as when you are actually growing and consuming your own food. I hope to never lose that connection completely.

Well, I may be in the minority, but I enjoy growing, prepping, and cooking my own food. Sure, I sometimes pay for others to do that for me, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of doing that stuff myself also. I do think there is a difference between working in an office setting (for example), and living/working close to the land. There's a big difference for me, anyway. I'm not saying you can't find some satisfaction in office-type jobs, and of course the money helps buy food and other necessities, but you do not have the same connection to the land as when you are actually growing and consuming your own food. I hope to never lose that connection completely.

There’s no commute to the farm, no boss to answer to, no specific time to punch in, it’s not a grind like work here in the states, I do not see the similarities. I saw my wife’s cousin at dinner time, I asked him if he went to the farm today, he said nope, I slept, try telling that to a boss at a job and you won’t have one.

We rarely eat out too. We love to cook...but im not growing every single spice I use. Im not raising livestock or fishing for my meats...although I do harvest white tailed deer when the season comes around. Im not growing fields of grain and then making my own flour, etc etc.

We have a garden and its cute...but we do not grow nearly enough to supply us with veggies all year. We buy most of our fruits from other people who grow them.

I personally do not know a single person who is remotely close to being self sustaining...we (americans) purchase most of our goods from someone else who grows them...then we combine them to form a meal.

There are a lot of alaska shows on tv now...people who live off the grid. It looks sexy...but once you peel the layers back...those people are working more than anyone who holds a corporate job. Half the year they chop wood and gather food im preparation for winter.

Last edited:
It is a different story for people who have money to spend in Thailand and people in Thailand who have to make money for a living. A guest in a beach resort in Cancun will have a different feeling than a cleaning worker in the same resort.
I can tell you that life is a struggle for many people in developing countries. I wonder why many people are risking their lives to cross the border into the U.S. Sometimes people living in a good life do not know that millions of other people would do whatever to have their lives.

The minimum wage in Thailand varies from 308-330baht/day depending on the province. It is expected in Thailand, as in other SE Asian countries, that the children will take care of the parents financially as they get older (retirement). If you marry a Thai women that obligation will likely fall on your shoulders.
Good to know, I'm glad to know I was thinking too low. Although 10 bucks a day USD isn't much either.

Back
Top Bottom