Selling on Kijiji.

My Dream

Full time employment: Posting here.
Over my lifetime I've accumulated many new items that I sort of knew I would never use. Yes I realize that now but I always had the intentions that it would come in handy one day. And in some cases it did. Everything I bought was purchased at a great deal so I didn't want to return it since I also knew I would never get that same deal again.

Onto the next page. I sold my first item on Kijiji yesterday and have to say, it was a great experience. There was no haggling on the price, the buyer agreed to meet me anywhere I wanted and paid cash. I know it's probably one in a million but I'm listing other stuff today. I don't use ebay since I'm in Canada and shipping is a bitch to the States so it's not worth it.

I also never sold anything in the past since I've helped friends with garage sales and there were times I wanted to kick some of these people to the curb for the insulting offers they made. Ya I know............chill!

I'm a happy camper but I know the first item was probably a fluke sale.

:LOL:

Onto the next page. I sold my first item on Kijiji yesterday and have to say, it was a great experience. There was no haggling on the price, the buyer agreed to meet me anywhere I wanted and paid cash. I know it's probably one in a million but I'm listing other stuff today. I don't use ebay since I'm in Canada and shipping is a bitch to the States so it's not worth it.

:LOL:

What is Kijiji ? I have never heard of it . I do sell on ebay and occasionally amazon .

Yes it's Kijiji Toronto (GTA) Classifieds: Free Local Classified Ads for Toronto (GTA), Ontario for all of Canada, not sure if it's available in the States and it's owned by Ebay. They work on the same principal as Craigslist which is free advertising (Free Local Classifieds ). The difference is it's not an auction and you can advertise more locally so it's easier for pick up, hence no need to pay for shipping.

Now I know why you're the only one that responded, and to think I thought it was me!

Haven't sold anything on Kijiji, but we've bought a few items.......good deals on all of them.

We've sold tons of stuff on kijiji - well, my husband more than me. He's better at taking care of that kind of thing. Mostly technology - computers, video games, etc, but some household stuff too - tools, a ladder.

We've never had major issues and most things sell eventually. Usual things like people no-showing and trying to haggle or get you to deliver, but that's common with any personal selling.

We've bought occasionally as well, and found an apartment but mostly selling. Definitely recommend it in Canada.

I've never heard of kijiji before now, so thanks for the insight. I do use craigslist and it's much like that. In fact, I've about abandoned eBay for craigslist. I'll check kijiji to see if it's as robust with items as my local craigslist is.

You folks know, of course, that Kijiji is owned by eBay, and operates under the name of "eBay Classifieds" on the eBay website?

I do the majority of my buys & sells through Craigslist. The rest via Amazon and eBay.

Have not had much success with Kijiji, for whatever reason that escapes me.

Well it's been about three weeks and I've sold 3 items totaling around $350.00. Since all the items are new there isn't a problem when people come to pick them up, but I do have problems with no replies to emails, lowballers, but everyone has showed up on time so far.

I'm basing my price off of list price and am averaging around 40% of list and that's fine with me.

One thing I'm not doing is taking and posting a picture of the box. Does anyone really want to see the item boxe up if it's new? Ya maybe.....but I'm not very pc savy and that takes a lot more time. I wonder how much of a difference that would make?

Let's see how this month goes.....

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing. And where do you buy from? Never mind, I went back and read your original post again. You said items you've accumulated over the years.

Update:

I've sold around 5 items so far totalling around $700.00 and I have to say it's not as enjoyable as I thought. I get emails on a regular basis but now find most are spam. Once I weed through the spam I find the lowballer, once they're out of the way, I get the "I'll take it for $*** and when I agree I never hear back.

I don't understand how people do this on a regular basis and I have to say I'll be really glad when it's over. Based on how much more I want to advertise and the rate I'm going, it should take over a year.

Back
Top Bottom