Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
America is different; in particular Massachusetts is different.
America? Umm... Carter, whom I believe to be an indisputably moral man no matter what one may think of his ability, soundly defeated Kennedy in the primary.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It's sad to see the Kennedy clan slowly disappear .
as opposed to all at once?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Accomplishments:

Senator for all of those years. With all of his problems (being a liberal and all) I wonder how he continued to get reelected? Maybe this will provide a clue. This is a list of some of the dead man's accomplishments. He sponsored over 2500 bills.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
•The Mental Health Parity Act of 1996
•State Children's Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP)
•Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act of 2009 (Americorps)
•The Civil Rights Act of 1964
•The Voting Rights Act of 1965
•Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993
•Fair Housing Act of 1968
•Handicapped Children's Protection Act of 1986 (overturning a SCOTUS decision)
•Ryan White Care Act of 1990 (AIDS care)
•Americans with Disability Act of '90
•Civil Rights Act of 1991
•Minority Health & Health Disparities Research & Education Act of 2000
•National & Community Service Trust Act of 1993 (Americorps)
•Mammography Quality Standards Act of 1990
•Military Child Care Act of 1989
•The WARN Act of 1988 (60 days notice prior to plant closings)
•Employment Opportunities for Disabled Americans Act of 1986
•Anti-Apartheid Act of 1986 (vetoed by Reagan)
•Job Training Partnership Act of 1980
•Refugee Act of 1980
•Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act of 1980
•Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act - 1975
•Title IX of Education Amendments of '72 (bans sex discrimination by schools getting Fed $)
•Establishment of Women, Infants & Childrens ("WIC") Nutrition Program at USDA
•Low Income Heating Energy Assistance Act of 1970
•Older American Community Service Employment Act of 1970
•Occupational Safety & Health Administration Act of 1970
•The Voting Rights Act amendments of 1970
•The Bilingual Education Act of 1968
•The Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 (War on Poverty: Head Start, Job Corps)
•The Mental Health Parity Act of 1996

Free to Canoe
Old 08-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ted Kennedy

I always held a negative feeling towards Ted Kennedy because of the Chapaquitic (don't know spelling) Not because of the accident, but because of the what I felt was a lie and cover up. I tended to think of him as a spoiled rich kid, womanizer, who drank too much.

It was not until I started watching CSPAN on TV (what fun) and became a political junkie, that I changed my mind about him (though I didn't agree always with his stance on immagration issues) What I couldn't help seeing was his passion to his causes and how envolved he was on these issues. I might add, I also developed a fondness for John Kerry this way, as I found him very intillectual and also very hard working and involved in many issues.

I can't help wondering if his early life had something to do with his dedication in his later years. He lived in fear himself of being killed, but never quit. That takes guts, considering he didn't need the job.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Heaven must be an awesome place to be tonight--besides Senator Kennedy, I see that the writer Dominick Dunne, 'who told stories of shocking crimes among the rich and famous through his magazine articles and best-selling novels such as "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles," died Wednesday in his home at age 83.'

And Ellie Greenwich, 'who co-wrote some of pop music's most enduring songs, including "Chapel of Love," "Be My Baby" and "Leader of the Pack," died Wednesday, according to her niece. She was 68.'

Thanks for mentioning Dominick Dunne. I loved his articles in Vanity Fair and also admired his victim's rights advocacy. I was so sorry to learn that he had lost his battle with cancer. I also liked him because he was something of a Firebird...a person who resurrected himself with a purpose after his daughter's murder and his personal troubles. He will be missed.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

( A general comment follows, not specifically related to the recent passing of the esteemed Senator from Massachusetts)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
He sponsored over 2500 bills.
And what fantastic and wonderful names all those bills have! It is heartwarming. Look at all those gifts provided through that legislation. Those Senators are miracle workers--they propose an idea, put it in a bill, and it happens! Apparently, the resources to do these things, the wonderful things promised by the bills, come from the personal wealth of the senators. No wonder we elect rich people! Who else could afford to provide these things for us?

All bills sound great. It's too bad we can't have truth in labeling, or at least neutral names for our proposed legislation. Nobody ever sponsors or votes for the "Big Giveaway to Corporate Interests Act of 2009" or the "Take Money from People Who Earned It and Give it to Others Act" -- and yet somehow this legislation gets on the books. It's amazing, since all they voted for, to look at the titles, were puppies and circuses and motherhood and apple pie.

I say it is time we honored the senators who sponsored the smallest number of bills over the course of their careers, or who most consistently voted against new legislation, or who were the most ardent participants in filibusters. Sometimes them who gum up the works of the infernal machine deserve our praise more than those who push the levers and grease the wheels that grind our bones.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Sail on Teddy. Soon you will rest beside your brothers.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #28

Free to Canoe, I read through the list of his accomplishments and no where did I see any reference to Medicare. DW swears it was Teddy who sponsored the Medicare bill and was responsible for getting it passed. I had never heard this about Teddy.
Do you know anything about this?
Old 08-29-2009, 01:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Free to Canoe, I read through the list of his accomplishments and no where did I see any reference to Medicare. DW swears it was Teddy who sponsored the Medicare bill and was responsible for getting it passed. I had never heard this about Teddy.
The real force behind the legislation was Wilbur Cohen, Secy. of Health Education and Welfare. He presuaded President Johson to get on board, and Johson gave a it a high priority place in his great society programs.

Democrats had large majorities both in the House and Senate. House and Senate bills were introduced in Jan 1965, and in spring Ways and means Chairman Wilbur Mills (later well known for the Fanne Foxe incident.) took it in hand and President Johnson had a bill to sign by July 30, 1965. It created both Medicare and Medicaid. It was called the Social Security Act of 1965.

Ha
Old 08-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I suspect Haha covered it well. I said "some" of his accomplishments. It seemed that no one mentioned any accomplishments so I thought I might take a stab at it.

Samclem,

Your post really made me laugh!
You capture well the irony of spin and marketing in the naming of bills and everything else these days. Maybe there should be a post of the most humorous examples in real life.
You may be surprised to learn that there is a part of me that agrees with your angst with respect to the careless use of tax dollars.
Another part of me says: "count your blessings".

Free to canoe