Senator Edward Kennedy dies aged 77

( A general comment follows, not specifically related to the recent passing of the esteemed Senator from Massachusetts)
He sponsored over 2500 bills.
And what fantastic and wonderful names all those bills have! It is heartwarming. Look at all those gifts provided through that legislation. Those Senators are miracle workers--they propose an idea, put it in a bill, and it happens! Apparently, the resources to do these things, the wonderful things promised by the bills, come from the personal wealth of the senators. No wonder we elect rich people! Who else could afford to provide these things for us?

All bills sound great. It's too bad we can't have truth in labeling, or at least neutral names for our proposed legislation. Nobody ever sponsors or votes for the "Big Giveaway to Corporate Interests Act of 2009" or the "Take Money from People Who Earned It and Give it to Others Act" -- and yet somehow this legislation gets on the books. It's amazing, since all they voted for, to look at the titles, were puppies and circuses and motherhood and apple pie.

I say it is time we honored the senators who sponsored the smallest number of bills over the course of their careers, or who most consistently voted against new legislation, or who were the most ardent participants in filibusters. Sometimes them who gum up the works of the infernal machine deserve our praise more than those who push the levers and grease the wheels that grind our bones.

Sail on Teddy. Soon you will rest beside your brothers.

Free to Canoe, I read through the list of his accomplishments and no where did I see any reference to Medicare. DW swears it was Teddy who sponsored the Medicare bill and was responsible for getting it passed. I had never heard this about Teddy.
Do you know anything about this?

Free to Canoe, I read through the list of his accomplishments and no where did I see any reference to Medicare. DW swears it was Teddy who sponsored the Medicare bill and was responsible for getting it passed. I had never heard this about Teddy.

The real force behind the legislation was Wilbur Cohen, Secy. of Health Education and Welfare. He presuaded President Johson to get on board, and Johson gave a it a high priority place in his great society programs.

Democrats had large majorities both in the House and Senate. House and Senate bills were introduced in Jan 1965, and in spring Ways and means Chairman Wilbur Mills (later well known for the Fanne Foxe incident.) took it in hand and President Johnson had a bill to sign by July 30, 1965. It created both Medicare and Medicaid. It was called the Social Security Act of 1965.

Ha

I suspect Haha covered it well. I said "some" of his accomplishments. It seemed that no one mentioned any accomplishments so I thought I might take a stab at it.

Samclem,

Your post really made me laugh!
You capture well the irony of spin and marketing in the naming of bills and everything else these days. Maybe there should be a post of the most humorous examples in real life.
You may be surprised to learn that there is a part of me that agrees with your angst with respect to the careless use of tax dollars.
Another part of me says: "count your blessings".

Free to canoe

Back
Top Bottom