Japan has 1 in 10 people 80 or more in age

1 in 10 is older than 80.

Is this scarier, almost 1 in 3 is 65 or older?

Yes, as of 2023, 29% of the Japanese population are over 65, the highest share of elderly population in any country, followed by Italy with 24.1% and Finland with 23.3%.

People are now worrying about 70-year-olds having to take care of their 90-year-old parents. Bleak!

PS. Oh wait! My wife is taking care of her mother the same way. My wife is not yet 70, but getting there soon in a few years.

Last edited:
Earlier, I talked about elderly care in Germany, and of German elders living in nursing homes in Poland.

I just find out that German elders who can afford it hire 24-hour live-at-home aides from Poland, Romania, or Bulgaria. These aides all speak German, and are paid about US$1900/month which is good money for these foreign workers, but way below Germany pay scale.

It is estimated that there may be up to 600,000 of these home aides employed in Germany now.

Japan has been dealing with a decline in the working age population for years. The same think is starting to happen to China.

OTOH, there is a movement among climate advocates for population reduction. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/population-decline-will-change-the-world-for-the-better/

Lived in Japan. Japan has a fairly generous child policy encouraging more children, with cash payments and other benefits. Not sure how well it's working.

Much of the youth suicide in Japan-- which does not have the same stigma as in the West-- is due to fairly rigid cultural expectations. They say " the nail that sticks up will get hammered down". Young adults can be outrageous up to a certain age and then are expected to conform to the collective "kata". Get a job, wear a suit, work 50 hours a week, etc. Many kids today just won't have it and opt out in a sad way.

Japan's issues are quite different from those of China.

Last edited:
The world resources are less stressed with population decline. Eventually the world population will reach an equilibrium point, where the status quo can be sustained.

However, during the transition there will be pain. Lack of growth will cause diminishing opportunity leading to youth discontent, like we see in China. Low childbirth means a baby bust, leading to the baby boomer generation not getting the human resource to care for them.

Speaking of the baby boomers, I just learned that the German baby boom occurred after the American one. Germany's baby boomers at the peak are not yet 60 year old. This means the worst in elderly care is yet to come.

54393604_7.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom