Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #21

I was very active with R/C airplanes and the local club for ~12 years, then slowly tapered off as I got more involved with computers and finally stopped the R/C entirely. I may pick it up again in the future, I maintain my AMA membership and the electrics look very interesting. Electric R/C used to be pretty much limited to powered gliders but the power-to-weight ratios are approaching fuel powered systems. And I was getting tired of the mess of glow engines.

Now I have an interest in photography but don't spend as much time at it as I probably should. Hopefully that will change when I finish the cardiac rehab class this week and I'm not in the gym six days a week.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I make simple ham radio gear and shortwave receivers, and blog about my endeavors. Being able to take halfway decent pictures helps in putting my projects on a blog and hopefully informing and inspiring a few others to try their hand at building something from scratch.

This is my latest project - a regenerative general coverage shortwave receiver with plug-in coils. It currently covers from 2.1MHz - 16MHz and is capable of going higher in frequency, but I ran out of tube bases for the plug-in coils.

I modified a cigar box to hold the plug-in coils -

Some people get very heavily into regen receivers, building many of them. A few even work on developing the technology (yes, there is cutting-edge work being done on regens). I think building this one has at least temporarily satiated my curiosity about these simple receivers, freeing me up to follow my interests in other directions.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #23

That is some very neat work, Major Tom. Much cleaner looking than the Grundig I'm working on. What do the plug in coils do? Allow different frequency ranges, I'm guessing?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #24

Yes - the plug-in coils simplify the circuitry. It's a bit more work to change bands by changing the coil than simply rotating a switch, but the trade-off is worth it to me.

I was just thinking how nice the woodwork looks on that radio you're restoring, Keim.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #25

To be clear, Major Tom-That isn't a picture of mine. But, mine is in just as good a shape. It looks almost brand new. If you like big console radios, it is a great piece.

And, the electronics worked ok (not great) when I pulled it out of the cabinet last week for restoration.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Could be my progressive bifocals messing things up a bit. But you could be right about the new-fangled components too. If you are a bench rest shooter, and been around this stuff for a while, then you probably remember the old Hodgdon 4831 powder (WWII surplus, I think). It was much better then the new 4831 variants.

I still have some 7mm mags loaded with the old stuff.
Aye, I've still got a pound and a quarter left of the old 4831. Good stuff, indeed! I still have a dozen-odd .270 hunting rounds left from the batch I cooked up one afternoon (just the loading, actually developing the load took many hours of testing, measurement, loading, and shooting) in the mid-eighties. At one round a year, that batch of 40 rounds has lasted awhile!

Nice to see some other shooters on the forum.

Nice to see the other interesting hobbies, too. RC model airplanes and amateur radio are two things I'd like to try.

So many wonderful ways to spend one's time. So little time!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #27

I have "normal" hobbies of photography, hiking, biking, woodworking, kayaking, boating, with brewing beer maybe being a little less than normal. I want to get into drones to use with my go pro, build my own DIY CNC router, and build my own cedar strip kayak.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #28

Collecting lost golf balls became a minor hobby of mine. As a beginner golfer 5 years ago, I was losing balls faster than I can buy. Finding lost golf balls were necessary and became a habit, then a hobby over time. It's like collecting stamp which I used to do when I was a kid. Balls come in all brands, condition, age, logos, ball marks, sizes (yes, a few balls are smaller and a few are larger).
Old 09-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Aye, I've still got a pound and a quarter left of the old 4831. Good stuff, indeed! I still have a dozen-odd .270 hunting rounds left from the batch I cooked up one afternoon (just the loading, actually developing the load took many hours of testing, measurement, loading, and shooting) in the mid-eighties. At one round a year, that batch of 40 rounds has lasted awhile!

Nice to see some other shooters on the forum.

Nice to see the other interesting hobbies, too. RC model airplanes and amateur radio are two things I'd like to try.

So many wonderful ways to spend one's time. So little time!
Amazing, ~70 year old powder and it's still good. I wish I had some for my 300 Weatherby. Hum, this got me thinking. Since I sold my 7 mag (burned the barrel out) maybe I'll pull the bullets from my old 7mm ammo loaded with the old 4831, recover the powder and reuse it for 300 reloads. Should have enough for 35 to 40 rounds. Unfortunately, I'll probably need to use 10 to 12 rounds working up a good load but I've got a good starting point. I hate to use up the last of it but then again, I can't take it with me and it's not doing me any good in 7mm cases anymore.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #30

I guess I have activities more than hobbies.

I coach a team of 11 year old boys on a FIRST Lego League robotics team. This is their 3rd year at this level (vs Jr.), plus another 2 years for my older son's old team. It's less about robotics than it is about trying to keep pre-teen kids on task, managing their time, and staying focused on the end goals. But it is kind of fun to see them figure out engineering problems. That is a big time hit for 4 months a year.

I'm taking a 5 unit Italian class. I've learned that I have a terrible ear, and my italian accent is terrible - but I'm doing well in the class through brute force. I'm spending a tremendious amount of time on this because I really want to learn to speak passably when we go to Europe next summer and visit DH's second cousins.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #31

Hypertufa! It's a cement mix that's suppose to mimic the old stone water troughs. Gardeners started using the stone troughs for planters when wood or metal troughs replaced the stone. The stone planters became scarce and hypertufa was born. There are many different recipes but all use Portland Cement. These are small pieces in the picture. I've made up to 2 1/2' X 4' trough. I also make cement jewelry.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
cement jewelry.

Now there is a phrase I never thought I would see/hear.

The pieces in the pic are really pretty.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Amazing, ~70 year old powder and it's still good. I wish I had some for my 300 Weatherby. Hum, this got me thinking. Since I sold my 7 mag (burned the barrel out) maybe I'll pull the bullets from my old 7mm ammo loaded with the old 4831, recover the powder and reuse it for 300 reloads. Should have enough for 35 to 40 rounds. Unfortunately, I'll probably need to use 10 to 12 rounds working up a good load but I've got a good starting point. I hate to use up the last of it but then again, I can't take it with me and it's not doing me any good in 7mm cases anymore.
I think that's a great plan!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Another off-the-beaten-path pleasure of mine is fountain pens. I love the slightly more measured process of writing with one, the tactile feel as it bleeds its essence onto the paper, and the beautiful, multi-dimensional line shapes it leaves behind.

The incredible variety of inks, in all kinds of colors and compositions, is the desert. My latest to try is a beautiful, pale blue named 'kon-peki,' made by Iroshizuku in Japan. How can you not love that name?!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #35

Jäger, what would be a good choice for someone who has never tried the fountain pen before? Something inexpensive to try it out?

My weirdest hobbies have included being part of a hula hooping troupe, pole dancing (for exercise, mind you, not $), and driving a school bus around the world.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:45 AM   #36

I also do metal working. These are my two stumps with forming stakes and vise mounted on top. Some of my frequently used hammers are hanging from the sides of the stump. Don't know how I ended up with 2 of the same photos in my post.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hammershangingfromleatherstrapsonstump[1].jpg (87.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #37

Quote:
I also do metal working. These are my two stumps with forming stakes and vise mounted on top. Some of my frequently used hammers are hanging from the sides of the stump. Don't know how I ended up with 2 of the same photos in my post.

Interesting. Half stump will travel?
Old 09-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Hypertufa! It's a cement mix that's suppose to mimic the old stone water troughs. Gardeners started using the stone troughs for planters when wood or metal troughs replaced the stone. The stone planters became scarce and hypertufa was born. There are many different recipes but all use Portland Cement. These are small pieces in the picture. I've made up to 2 1/2' X 4' trough. I also make cement jewelry.

This sounds like something I would like to try.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
My weirdest hobbies have included being part of a hula hooping troupe, pole dancing (for exercise, mind you, not $), and driving a school bus around the world.
….seems this is just another post that is useless without pictures!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
….seems this is just another post that is useless without pictures!
C'mon, you know I've posted pics of my school bus around here before...
...but some of the girls in my pole classes could have def turned pro...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote