Shoes off when you enter the house? YES or NO?

Wow. I am amazed at how many of you take off your shoes when entering. We don't here (Washington, DC)s. We have hardwood floors so that may make a difference but and I can't think of anyone who routinely does. My family and friends didn't take off shoes in Chicago either.

Same here. I will put on a pair of slippers at night when I'm settled in, but normally just keep on my tennis shoes. I've got a mutt so I'm not worried about getting the house dirty, it's already that way.;)

For my neighbor, it is sort of a privacy issue. Maybe she doesn't care that everyone in the building knows how many people she is entertaining by counting the shoes outside her door (and dividing by two). She keeps her own shoes in the apt.

Attachments

• IMG_7258.jpg
    IMG_7258.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 0
I always kick my shoes off when I come in the house...just feels better. As for guests, I never mention their shoes to them and would feel silly doing so. There are mats outside our doors and throw rugs inside, which keeps dirt under control. We have oak floors.

In Hawaii, where I grew up, it is customary/mandatory to remove shoes at the door when entering someone's home (as Koolau said).

I have not lived there for over 35 years, and I have tried to adapt to mainland ways. But I still take my shoes off in the house. :LOL: When anyone is visiting, I don't take my shoes off, though, because it might make them feel uncomfortable.

In the winter, my feet are too cold if I am barefoot so if necessary I wear clean socks in the house. No shoes, though.

We live in Japan, shoes come off in the genkan (entryway). Our home in California was designed with a front and backdoor genkan-like area, and there are signs at both doors (bought in Hawaii) instructing guests on this policy. Reason for 2 signs: non-relative guests show up at the front door, relatives always come to the back door as they know we use it more often.

R

Shoes off here too.

donnheff said:
Wow. I am amazed at how many of you take off your shoes when entering.

Me three. I know very few people here in California who remove their shoes at home. (Okay, so maybe that's a few hundred out of 30 million!) We don't remove them until bedtime, or maybe when we curl up on the couch to watch a late movie.

I try to switch from my shoes to my "indoor only" lined Crocs. But if I'm going right back outside I don't. I have an old dog and cat so floors don't stay too clean but it helps. I don't say anything to visitors. I live in mountain area of So Cal.

Me three. I know very few people here in California who remove their shoes at home. (Okay, so maybe that's a few hundred out of 30 million!) We don't remove them until bedtime, or maybe when we curl up on the couch to watch a late movie.
That tallies with my experience. I grew up in the SF Bay Area. I never even heard of people taking off their shoes indoors until after I moved away from there.

Shoes off. It sure keeps the house cleaner. It is universal among my Minnesota friends who live in urban areas. Not necessarily the rural ones.

I grew up on a small farm. We would scrap the manure or mud off our boots or shoes and we were good to go. I never saw adults go shoeless in the house.

images

I was in my 20's before I even heard of taking shoes off before entering the house. But maybe that's a Washington, DC area thing.

If they're caked with mud, sure. But in the normal course of things, no.

We usually take our shoes off... but we are not fanatical about it. I have a pair of comfortable slip on shoes I wear indoors. We do not expect guests to de-shoe.

I live in So Cal, and since retiring I'm shoeless 99 percent of the time. Besides saving money on shoes and socks some interesting things have happened. My feet no longer get cold, they have toughened up and I can easily walk on almost any type of surface comfortably, they've gotten wider and my balance has improved, they've become useful as a third hand-opening and closing doors-turning lights on and off-picking things up-putting on bike tires-more control driving....

YouTube - Amazing Feet

Hardwood floors and area rugs in main area of the house, carpet in all bedrooms and downstairs room. Upstate NY has 6 seasons including mud season in the spring. ;)
If there's mud, everyone takes their shoes off, no exceptions. Snow season is variable...I ask people to stomp their feet really well at the door. Most remove their shoes.
No high heels with narrow bases are allowed on the hardwood floors. :nonono:
Anything else is fine.

Back
Top Bottom