Should She Have Been Disciplined??

Outtahere said:
If you meant single as in unmarried I think you're wrong, I'll wager a bet that every guy, married or not, thought about it.

No I meant every single man, using 'every single' as an indication of "all" rather than marital status.

Reading the Uniform Code of Military Justice, it appears she violated article 134 sec. 88 (indecent exposure), and can receive a punitive discharge for her actions, even if it does not affect her performance.

Gumby--I agree with the last portion of your statement. I think you are forgetting about to part in 134 that states, "all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces" . The UCMJ is very restrictive and the military has a habit of interpreting it in the manner most restrictive of a member's actions.

Typically the powers don't enforce certain portions of the UCMJ unless it is pushed. An example I can recall is adultery. It is almost never enforced unless ones spouse is pushing for enforcement. When it is enforced, the most I've seen anybody receive is a letter of counseling.

Nords said:
When I was on active duty, or 20 years ago, I would've been harrumphing in dismay with the other leadership.

Now I think it's pretty funny and a good bit hypocritical.

Nords: Coming from a recently retired Naval Officer, your statement above makes me feel like an "old fogey".

Of course I have pretty much the same feeling watching NFL coaches trying to control Terrell Owens. ;)

Vince Lombardi and "Chesty" must be spinning in their graves.

Hope you guys can hold it together for the next 20 years or so. ;)

Jarhead* said:
Hope you guys can hold it together for the next 20 years or so. ;)
Remember how the Marine Corps went to hell the day you left it? You just don't want to know what kinds of videos & photos the Kaneohe Marines (the men, not the women) have been involved in over the last few years.

The Navy also went to hell the day I retired. And the U.S. Naval Academy hasn't been able to put together a real plebe year since 1978-9, either.

Levity aside, Senior Airman Manhart has now crossed the line and officially qualified for Dilbert's "Weasel of the Year" award. She coulda just said that she submitted her resignation without getting into all the discharge-characterization stuff.

Now that she's pissed somebody off they'll probably try to recall her to active duty for the administrative discharge board. Their choices are honorable, general, or OTHD. I'm betting general with an RE-4 "never let her join the military ever again" re-enlistment code. Heck, the Army probably wouldn't even want her for their Blue To Green program.

Discharge characterization used to be considered important for subsequent employment... about 25 years ago. Now that few employers are veterans, no one pays any attention to the quality of the DD-214. (A couple years ago a Pearl Harbor court-martial separated a guy with a bad conduct discharge & brig time who showed up a year later as a contract security guard at the Navy Exchange.) So Manhart's discharge verbiage is just another desperate plea for publicity. No doubt in a few months she'll be doing a promotional tour with Omarosa.

I wasn't going to drag up old news, but what the heck-- one of COMSUBPAC's Sailors of the Year would also like to see the military figure out their "posing policy":
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,123390,00.html

Back
Top Bottom