Join Early Retirement Today

Six Year POTUS Term?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Six Year POTUS Term?

After doing some research I'm thinking that a single six year term may be a better way to provide the President with enough leeway to get the job done. It's one of the few things that we can learn from the Mexicans.

Many second terms are often a waste of time and energy, oh yea, and money.

Jefferson did that Louisiana purchase thing in term one. In term two he was just bizarre, even tried to dispose of the Navy. Andy Jackson's 2nd go round was error prone and economic disaster prevailed with the banks. Polk ran only to acquire Texas, then he split. Lincoln sorta lucked out when he had that mishap at Fords Theater that night. He would have had to deal with the reconstruction mess and that may have ruined his legacy.

Wilson did all of his reforming in term #1 and in #2 he repudiated his pledge to stay out of WWI and post war disaster. FDR did all of his New Dealing in his first term, but in his second go-round he fought often with the Supreme Court and got the recession to drag on. Lucky for him WWII came along during #3 and he was able to bail himself out.

Ike didn't do much but cruise along the first time and continued that course during tour #2. Nixon? First time out ended VN war, cranked up relations W/China, etc but Watergate ended it for him during #2. Reagan's first years were definitely the best as #two and all of that Iran/Contra mess broke it up. Clinton reved it up during #1, but Monica, cigars, and trouble with the truth did him in for #2. GWB probably would have had a better legacy if he were not around for round number two, what with those wars and that big financial problem.

If these guys would have avoided a second term and just had a single burst of six, things may have ended up better. That's all I'm saying.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I've thought this myself quite often. I'm sure there are pitfalls (lame duck from day 1), but it seems better than spending the first four years campaigning for a second term.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It could be a good idea, if it is combined with other reforms e.g. campaign and primary system - somehow it needs to be no more than 6 months from beginning of candidate's campaign to swearing in day. If not, then as Harley mentions the POTUS will be a lame duck from day one or at least the last year - so make it a 7 year term - get 6 good years out of the guy?

I like your points and the idea.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it might be a good idea too, but I also think there ain't an ice cube's
chance in hell of amending the Constitution to make it so, due to partisanship
and concern with the immediate effect. For example, suppose there was a
move to do it now. Does Obama get six years and he can't run in 2014 ? Does
he get a chance to repeat and that for a 6-year term ? Does he only get 4 years
if he's re-elected in 2012 but his Republican opponent would get 6 years ? You
can see the problem, I think; any solution would meet furious opposition from
one party or the other.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Is there any possible way that this thread has enough relevance to ER to avoid being Soapbox fodder?

I'm an amateur student of history at best, but I think all the presidential behaviors described in support of a six-year term are far too simplified and lacking in context to be able to afford a clear causation of the apparent correlation.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Is there any possible way that this thread has enough relevance to ER to avoid being Soapbox fodder?

I'm an amateur student of history at best, but I think all the presidential behaviors described in support of a six-year term are far too simplified and lacking in context to be able to afford a clear causation of the apparent correlation.
There weren't that many that fulfilled two full terms only 13
WikiAnswers - How many US Presidents served two terms

It appears it was proposed before.
Limit presidents to one six-year term - Roanoke.com

http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/11/2...ger-6year.html
Old 03-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You can already vote for term limits--never vote for an incumbent, ever, no matter what. That's what I'm doing.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Interesting that as soon as Obama became President the talk of "longer terms" and even "unlimited terms" has resurfaced...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

As far as the soapbox argument goes, I tried that one on the War on Drugs thread. It appears that as long as the thread is in the Other forum and is not partisan and confrontational it is allowed for general discussion. Since this one is a exercise in theory I think it will be allowed. Unless we start calling each other names, you hoser!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think Im heading to that not vote at all camp

edit

oh and hoser. I love it!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Interesting that as soon as Obama became President the talk of "longer terms" and even "unlimited terms" has resurfaced...........
Actually, I think a single 6 year term is a (potentially) shorter term.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Would it let POTUS ER after 6 instead of 8? Or would he have to get a job?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #13

It would take a Constitutional Amendment - today's chances of one of those happening are ZERO (on this subject). If they made effective in about 50 years from enactment, maybe they could get a positive vote (takes a lot more than a simple majority (as I remember).
Old 03-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It appears that as long as the thread is in the Other forum and is not partisan and confrontational it is allowed for general discussion. Since this one is a exercise in theory I think it will be allowed. Unless we start calling each other names, you hoser!
The moderator team gives this post "Two Thumbs Up".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Aww come on Nords, we're talking about the ER of the POTUS here.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote