Smart watch

Apple Watch sounds great, but since I don’t have an iPhone I have to wonder how well it would work with my Android phone. Also, while I am trying to learn to Blow that Dough, I just can’t see myself springing for a new watch and a new phone. [emoji3]. Installed a new update to the Fitbit app today, so I keep hoping for progress.

Apple Watch sounds great, but since I don’t have an iPhone I have to wonder how well it would work with my Android phone. Also, while I am trying to learn to Blow that Dough, I just can’t see myself springing for a new watch and a new phone. [emoji3]. Installed a new update to the Fitbit app today, so I keep hoping for progress.

Only works with iPhone.

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/602068). Actually, the earlier version without the music... which I wouldn't have used anyway.

I use a smart watch primarily to monitor my heart rate (a consequence of having Afib) and my sleep pattern. I started with a Fitbit but found the "Sleep Pattern" function not a comprehensive as I preferred.

I am very pleased with the Garmin and use most of the functions.

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/602068). Actually, the earlier version without the music... which I wouldn't have used anyway.

I use a smart watch primarily to monitor my heart rate (a consequence of having Afib) and my sleep pattern. I started with a Fitbit but found the "Sleep Pattern" function not a comprehensive as I preferred.

I am very pleased with the Garmin and use most of the functions.

I just bought a Vivoactive 3 on eBay that was listed as 'New Other' but it was DOA. The seller refunded my purchase and told me to keep the watch, not to send it back. Contacted Garmin support to find out what it would take to repair it and they said I can trade it in for a refurbished unit for $99 so I'm going that route. Should get it in a week or so. Ended up working out in the end since it will cost me only about half of what I originally paid.

I’m waiting for the new one. I’m hoping that as time goes on, more medical type functions will be made available, as I age. If and when my town goes to 100% digital emergency 911 service, I’m hoping I can ditch my landline phone and depend on my watch for 911 emergency situations.
Note there are stand alone watches with their own sim card that don't need a smart phone at all. In many respects these make the I've fallen and can't get up services obsolete. The phone can call out or receive calls. So you could do it today but not with a watch that is paired with a smart phone.

The Apple Watch does monitor your heart rate all day, just not nearly as often as during exercise. Yet enough to give you a heart rate graph for the day, determine your resting heart rate, notify you of sudden high heart rate when your activity is low, etc.

The Apple Watch probably can go two days between charges now, and short charge time anyway - could probably charge up most while in shower. But I don’t wear it overnight, so no big deal but I could if I really wanted to. I would just charge it while getting ready for bed.

Yes, I understand that but it is inferior to what a Fitbit or more dedictated Fitness smart watch can do. The Fitbit monitors you heart rate all the time whether during exercise or not. I like that. I don't like having gaps. Of course, that isn't important to everybody. But for me not having that is a dealbreaker.

One thing the Fitbit does that I don't know if the Apple Watch does is if you do start exercising (or what it perceives as exercising) it will record it as exercise and give you the same data you would get if you had manually told it you were exercising. For example, we went to Ikea today where we briskly walked throughout the store and to and from the store and Fitbit monitored 15 minutes of it as exercise.

As far as night time, I have gotten very used to getting my sleep graph which tells me how much I time I spent in various stages of sleep and when. I find it useful information.

I don't wear my Versa in the shower though. I could as I can swim in it but I prefer to take it off while showering.

Note there are stand alone watches with their own sim card that don't need a smart phone at all. In many respects these make the I've fallen and can't get up services obsolete. The phone can call out or receive calls. So you could do it today but not with a watch that is paired with a smart phone.

Hmmm good to know. But, think I’ll stick with my Apple family.

Hmmm good to know. But, think I’ll stick with my Apple family.

I’m pretty sure my Apple Watch can make emergency calls without the phone paired. I have the one with cell capability, although I don’t have a plan enabled for it. Still not having a plan does not prevent emergency calls.

What about the cheap $30 clones? Some get very good reviews in comparison to the Fitbits, Apple watches etc. My biggest reason would be for the HR monitor and jogging but with these wrist watches/sensors the problem is the HRM is very inaccurate and even the steps are based on hand movement which again can be a hit or a miss.

For HRM I used to have a Polar chest strap which was very accuarate but the watch was goofy looking.

My biggest reason would be for the HR monitor and jogging but with these wrist watches/sensors the problem is the HRM is very inaccurate and even the steps are based on hand movement which again can be a hit or a miss.

For HRM I used to have a Polar chest strap which was very accuarate but the watch was goofy looking.

Yes, that's the big problem with the built in heart rate monitors, they are usually OK if stationary but very hit/miss when doing vigorous exercises. I had a Samsung Gear S3 for a short time and got rid of it for that reason, the built in heart rate monitor was useless during exercise. Some smartwatches that have a built in heart rate monitor also allow you to pair it with a chest strap that is a lot more accurate IMO. Garmin has that option on some of their watches and I believe the Apple watch does also.

What about the cheap $30 clones? Some get very good reviews in comparison to the Fitbits, Apple watches etc. My biggest reason would be for the HR monitor and jogging but with these wrist watches/sensors the problem is the HRM is very inaccurate and even the steps are based on hand movement which again can be a hit or a miss.

For walking either during exercise or just around the house, the Fitbit watches are very accurate. I know this because I have simultaneously worn both a Polar chest strap.

On the other hand, the Fitbits are useless during weight lifting. When I do that, I wear a Polar heart rate monitor. I use an app on my phone which records that data. Then that app syncs with Fitbit so the actual true data based upon accurate heart rate is imported into Fitbit. (The software app I use is called iCardio - used to be called digifit). This works great.

The steps data for the Fitbit is very accurate when I have checked it. It is inaccurate in 2 situations. It undercounts steps on a treadmill. I use the treadmills step count instead of that from the Fitbit in that situation. Also, it is inaccurate at the grocery store if I use my left arm to push the cart as my arm stays stationary. Other than those situations it has been very accurate for me.

^ Which Polar HRM do you have? does just the strap work with an app because those are cheap but the whole set (strap+watch) is expensive. I never should've given mine away.

How's the Fitbit with bicycling? Does it show HR and thus expended kcal with decent accuracy?

For something relatively continuous like jogging the HRM in a fitbit is fine, for the average runner. If you are a serious training high performance person, and 2 bpm off is a huge deal, then no, but for most ppl, it's fine.

It might be off a little here and there but for the most part, pretty accurate and enough to know if you are on the high end of your range, or recovering as quickly as you'd like, etc. Plus you can look at the data after your workout and see averages, highs, lows, etc.

I have a Garmin watch, and use the heart rate function a lot while running and biking. Its weird, but it appears to be more consistent while running. The attached graph upper is running, lower is biking.

The running seems right because I do intervals of run/walk and the heart rate changes accordingly. But the biking graph seems to have a lot more inconsistency.

That said, the watch heart rate monitor is accurate enough for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 8.45.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 8.45.35 PM.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 17
I’m pretty sure my Apple Watch can make emergency calls without the phone paired. I have the one with cell capability, although I don’t have a plan enabled for it. Still not having a plan does not prevent emergency calls.

My problem is I can’t use voice phones...I’m pretty much deaf over voice phones. My town is slowly switching over to digital 911 services and text. I think they’re making progress.

For walking either during exercise or just around the house, the Fitbit watches are very accurate. I know this because I have simultaneously worn both a Polar chest strap.

On the other hand, the Fitbits are useless during weight lifting. When I do that, I wear a Polar heart rate monitor. I use an app on my phone which records that data. Then that app syncs with Fitbit so the actual true data based upon accurate heart rate is imported into Fitbit. (The software app I use is called iCardio - used to be called digifit). This works great.

The steps data for the Fitbit is very accurate when I have checked it. It is inaccurate in 2 situations. It undercounts steps on a treadmill. I use the treadmills step count instead of that from the Fitbit in that situation. Also, it is inaccurate at the grocery store if I use my left arm to push the cart as my arm stays stationary. Other than those situations it has been very accurate for me.

Sounds like you can make your Fitbit do exactly what you want (and FB is always coming up with new and improved smart watches)—no reason to switch to an Apple watch. It wouldn’t monitor and record the same way and would probably be frustrating. DH switched when his FB Charge’s strap kept breaking and ironically had charging issues but there was a learning curve. He did find the AW matched the stats on the health club’s machines better. He doesn’t need the 24/7 heart rate data that you do, though, so doesn’t mind the every other day 20 minute recharge time.

One thing the Fitbit does that I don't know if the Apple Watch does is if you do start exercising (or what it perceives as exercising) it will record it as exercise and give you the same data you would get if you had manually told it you were exercising. For example, we went to Ikea today where we briskly walked throughout the store and to and from the store and Fitbit monitored 15 minutes of it as exercise.

This is one thing that frustrates me about my current Apple Watch. Some days I will be huffing and puffing with what I would call EXERCISE and the darn green circle just sits there laughing at me. Other days there’s a few minutes of the green exercise circle. I try to look at the time the green was active to remember what I was doing...very strange.

If I’m on my elliptical machine, it can be a challenge to turn on the exercise function when I’m moving.

This is one thing that frustrates me about my current Apple Watch. Some days I will be huffing and puffing with what I would call EXERCISE and the darn green circle just sits there laughing at me. Other days there’s a few minutes of the green exercise circle. I try to look at the time the green was active to remember what I was doing...very strange.

If I’m on my elliptical machine, it can be a challenge to turn on the exercise function when I’m moving.

Just start it before you step on.

I’m old...I don’t remember. Besides, gotta blow that dough I really want a newer model.[emoji23]

“Hey Siri - start elliptical workout”

This works well for me when I’m already cycling down the road on my bike.

Although I also have the workout at the center of my watch, so it’s easy to get to.

“Hey Siri - start elliptical workout”

This works well for me when I’m already cycling down the road on my bike.

Although I also have the workout at the center of my watch, so it’s easy to get to.

Now that I might be able to do, if I remember.[emoji1] I like that idea of centering the exercise icon too. I very seldom use Siri, she didn’t used to like me at all but she is getting better now. When I do talk to Siri it startles my dog and she goes into her barking routine. She’s not used to me talking to an invisible person.

Well, looking through this thread, it seems that the Apple Watch is the most liked. Unfortunately, since I have an Android phone that is not going to work for me. If I could get notifications to work with my Fitbit I would be happy with it.
Any thoughts on a watch that works well with Android? I want both the fitness tracking and notifications.

^ Which Polar HRM do you have? does just the strap work with an app because those are cheap but the whole set (strap+watch) is expensive. I never should've given mine away.

How's the Fitbit with bicycling? Does it show HR and thus expended kcal with decent accuracy?

I have the Polar H7. Yes, just the strap, no watch. There are several apps you can have it work with. I use iCardio but there are others. Basically the Polar talks to iCardio then iCardio syncs with Fitbit. Works great.

I have the Polar H7. Yes, just the strap, no watch. There are several apps you can have it work with. I use iCardio but there are others. Basically the Polar talks to iCardio then iCardio syncs with Fitbit. Works great.

Awesome, thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom