Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
DS lives in Tanzania; saw a Green Mamba by his house. Has two Rhodesian Ridgebacks that hopefully will keep snakes at bay as his 2 year old son loves to play outside. I'm sure DS has engaged in some "snake aversion" training of his son. The joys of adventure
Yikes!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
Yikes!
I'll give a +2 on that yikes!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #123

Worst snake I ever encountered was my last boss ...
Old 05-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Worst snake I ever encountered was my last boss ...
I am familiar with that species, bites you in the back from extended distances and totally unprovoked.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am familiar with that species, bites you in the back from extended distances and totally unprovoked.

They're sneaky little bas*ards too. They sometimes camouflage themselves to blend in as regular non threatening species. Almost normal. But then they strike with lethal venom. No warning. No rattle.

And then your left standing there wondering how you never saw the snake and why you didn't wear boots or somehow protect yourself. As the life slowly sucks out of you.....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
They're sneaky little bas*ards too. They sometimes camouflage themselves to blend in as regular non threatening species. Almost normal. But then they strike with lethal venom. No warning. No rattle.

And then your left standing there wondering how you never saw the snake and why you didn't wear boots or somehow protect yourself. As the life slowly sucks out of you.....

Well said.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Attachment 23789
Saw this lazy black rat snake this morning while walking with my dogs.

Nice! They sure can get long!

Around here if you see a snake like that it's an Indigo snake. They like to eat rattlers.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post

Damn spooky that we all had the same boss.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:47 AM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Damn spooky that we all had the same boss.
Ah, now I understand where the detested and devilish business phrase "low hanging fruit" came from!

-BB
Old 05-10-2016, 07:08 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Nice! They sure can get long!

Around here if you see a snake like that it's an Indigo snake. They like to eat rattlers.

Oh my! 🐍🐍

Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #131

And here I thought this thread was going to be about excessive FA fees !
Old 05-10-2016, 07:20 AM   #132

Quote:
Around here if you see a snake like that it's an Indigo snake.
Back when I was fulltime RV'ing we spent a few winters near Kingsville.......there was an indigo lived in the reeds near one of the small lakes......oftentimes I'd try to sneak up on it to view it in its entirety...but the birds would tip it off and all I ever got to see was the tail disappearing into the water.

Judging from what I did see it was a fair size.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Back when I was fulltime RV'ing we spent a few winters near Kingsville.......there was an indigo lived in the reeds near one of the small lakes......oftentimes I'd try to sneak up on it to view it in its entirety...but the birds would tip it off and all I ever got to see was the tail disappearing into the water.

Judging from what I did see it was a fair size.
Yes they do get quite big and are very shy. We stood still once and watched on working the edge of the river. Usually any hint of a human and they are out of there!

Related to king snakes, hence the rattler eating. The state park next door has plenty of them plus numerous roadrunners. You'd think with all those rattlesnake predators they'd have none left, yet there are still plenty around.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Glad to hear the young lady survived and sorry to hear about the dog's fate.

After 30 years in the oilfield on producing well sites, new drilling locations, field offices, pipe yards, compressor stations, etc, in states like Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, California, Colorado, etc, I have seen my share of rattlers in various situations.

I have never been bitten, but have killed several. The shovel was my main death instrument! Killing them on a lease road (on caliche) was fun to video (haha).

Some situations and what oilfield workers have to deal with daily:

1. Around pumping units and tank farm tanks, these little menaces like to hide out under equipment in sandy soil. You have to watch where you walk.

2. Gas meter house - typically a small porto-potty sized metal building housing a gas meter and plumbing going in and out sitting in the sun. Before opening the metal door, it's best to whack it with a stick and listen for the peeved off rattler you just woke up. Tie a rope on the door and open it from 10 feet away.

3.Compressor stations. Lots of noise from the large heat exchanger fan. Must be very careful going in buildings and opening doors. Around 55-gallon drums is a great place for a snake to hide waiting for a field mouse to strut by.

4. Pipe yards and equipment storage areas are loaded with places for snakes to lay low or nest. I have seen a snake come out the end of a 6" diameter pipe on a rack with other pipe.

5. Scruffy areas around well sites. Many time I have almost stepped on a rattler just walking from the truck to the pumping unit.

Leather boots are a must, and heavy coveralls over denims. I always carried a stick. The major oil companies do not allow any firearms on their sites. Many independent oil companies follow that rule, but it is bent from time to time.
This post made me think of some photos I saw on a construction site... didn't find the one I was looking for, but did find this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snakebite2.jpg (9.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #135

Quote:
Yes they do get quite big and are very shy. We stood still once and watched on working the edge of the river. Usually any hint of a human and they are out of there!

Related to king snakes, hence the rattler eating. The state park next door has plenty of them plus numerous roadrunners. You'd think with all those rattlesnake predators they'd have none left, yet there are still plenty around.
Here we have bull snakes that make a hiss sound that mimics the rattle, and without the triangle shaped head. People say the bull snakes eat the rattlers, but this is not true. What happens is the bull snake are better hunters and the rattlesnakes go away to find food elsewhere. Bull snakes do not kill or eat rattlesnakes.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Here we have bull snakes that make a hiss sound that mimics the rattle, and without the triangle shaped head. People say the bull snakes eat the rattlers, but this is not true. What happens is the bull snake are better hunters and the rattlesnakes go away to find food elsewhere. Bull snakes do not kill or eat rattlesnakes.

A bunch of bull, then...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote