Social Security number

Doesn't that depend on who is making the request? I don't think a bank or broker would open an account if you refused to provide your SSN. Or a credit card issuer. Or a mortgage or auto lender. And probably not an insurance company either.

The nice thing about being well prepared financially for retirement is that you have no debt, already have a mortgage or it is paid up, you can pay cash for a car, you don't need more CCs, you can pay in cash, and other than home and car insurance which you may already have there is not much that would require a SS#.

Cheers!

The nice thing about being well prepared financially for retirement is that you have no debt, already have a mortgage or it is paid up, you can pay cash for a car, you don't need more CCs, you can pay in cash, and other than home and car insurance which you may already have there is not much that would require a SS#.

Cheers!

+10, it is awesome not to have to go to the man for $$ !!

there are probably hundreds of people out there that have your SSN

Bingo. I assume my SSN is on the Dark Web. Never have a Tax Refund, always owe a bit, that way the hackers don't get your refund.

A year after my mother passed someone filed a tax return for her (other than me). The IRS actually caught it.

Bingo. I assume my SSN is on the Dark Web. Never have a Tax Refund, always owe a bit, that way the hackers don't get your refund.

Does this really make any difference? I've always thought the identity thief made up a fraudulent return showing you (they) were due a big refund no matter the real numbers.

Does this really make any difference? I've always thought the identity thief made up a fraudulent return showing you (they) were due a big refund no matter the real numbers.

Good point. I guess I always just felt better not keeping "my money" with Uncle Sam for safe keeping. I would surmise that ID Thieves try to hit lots of people for smaller amounts. Filling a form asking for a large amount would probably trigger something. I'm just guessing here. Luckily never been hit.

Doesn't that depend on who is making the request? I don't think a bank or broker would open an account if you refused to provide your SSN. Or a credit card issuer. Or a mortgage or auto lender. And probably not an insurance company either.

True. I guess I'm stuck in my little world where I no longer have a need to open any kind of new account

It was common practice to have your paper checks printed to include SSN and driver's license number. Back in the days before the interconnected digital world, it was no big deal.

A few weeks ago, I found a cell phone laying on the sidewalk. The battery was almost dead, so I couldn't access any information out of the phone. So, I took it to the local police precinct to give it to them. The desk officer wanted my name, address, driver's license number and social security number--just to leave the phone with them! I have no idea why that information was necessary, but I figured it was safe with the police.

The ridiculous thing is that a SSAN has any value to bad guys at all. It should be of no more use to a thief than a person's name. Entities that use it as some sort of identity verification/quasi-password are practically inviting theft.

Many jobs have to be applied for online. Employers with a help wanted sign posted won't even give out paper applications to someone inquiring in person. Even at a job fair, some representatives are there to explain the job and direct applicants to their website to apply. The online applications ask for the SS number. It's a mandatory field. The claim is that it prevents the hiring of illegals.

The ridiculous thing is that a SSAN has any value to bad guys at all. It should be of no more use to a thief than a person's name. Entities that use it as some sort of identity verification/quasi-password are practically inviting theft.

+1

It can go the opposite way, as well. When exercising my trading authority in my husband's VBO, the security questions I've been asked are: the account number, the name and address on the account, sometimes-but-not-always, my husband's date of birth. Because Vanguard sends trade confirmations (no paperless option allowed), and VBO and 401k statements (even though we can access them online :confused:), via snail mail, anyone who could get their hands on them would have all the answers to the "security" questions. :facepalm:

True. I guess I'm stuck in my little world where I no longer have a need to open any kind of new account

We aren't, either -- but we got a pretty significant discount ($1500?) when we bought a car because we financed it through the auto company at some low interest rate. Paid it off 3 months later. :dance:

I am fairly annoyed that I need to bring my SS card into Comcast, of all places. Somehow they seem to have an incorrect last four digits of my SS# and they use that as a key security test when you call to make changes. They won't accept a change without seeing the actual card. I guess they're better at sharing my info with fraudsters than they are at finding something more appropriate as an ID verification. :rolleyes:

These days, All of my medical places go by date of birth. They do have the SS on file, but when one calls in for an appt or a prescription, they find me in the system using DOB.

They just want your SS# on file so they can go after you for unpaid bills.

It certainly avoids the hassle of having your refund held up while you wait for the fraud issues to be resolved.

It certainly avoids the hassle of having your refund held up while you wait for the fraud issues to be resolved.

Exactly. I had a fraudulent return filed in 2014 using my SSN. The IRS flagged it so no money was sent to the identity thief. But it held up my refund for about 18 months. When they finally paid, it included 4% interest. And of course, they sent me a 1099-INT for that year.

No one can steal your refund due to fraud or identity theft. The IRS is on the hook, not the taxpayer. But it can certainly hold up a legitimate refund while the IRS fraud people take their time figuring out what happened.

Many jobs have to be applied for online. Employers with a help wanted sign posted won't even give out paper applications to someone inquiring in person. Even at a job fair, some representatives are there to explain the job and direct applicants to their website to apply. The online applications ask for the SS number. It's a mandatory field. The claim is that it prevents the hiring of illegals.

A friend from megacorp found just the opposite. After she was laid off she went to the state to file for unemployment. They had some computer terminal interface you use for applying. When she entered her info/ SSN, it asked which job she had left, the one with megacorp or the one cleaning hotel rooms in Atlantic City, NJ. An illegal was using her number for employment with a cleaning company based out of Illinois, I think. That was the start of a multi-month ordeal to get things straightened out.

Back
Top Bottom