Social Security number

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With all the problems today with ID theft there sure are a lot of places that want to know your SS number. I would think there are very few valid reasons that this would be necessary? Not much choice when filing tax returns but if you froze your credit and don't need or want any more loans or CC cards why would anyone want to reveal their SS number?

Cheers!

With all the problems today with ID theft there sure are a lot of places that want to know your SS number. I would think there are very few valid reasons that this would be necessary? Not much choice when filing tax returns but if you froze your credit and don't need or want any more loans or CC cards why would anyone want to reveal their SS number?

Cheers!

I never reveal other than tax forms and SS/Medicare. All others, including Doctors have no need for the number.

VW

I just leave it blank when filling out forms requesting this info. No issues so far.

My SS# used to be my Federal ID# and my DC driver;s license# and yet SS says (or used used to say) it should not be used as ID. With it required for all things financial, I think we should have adopted it as a uniform ID for the whole country decades ago. Screw the black helicopter worries.

Being in the military, I have gotten quite used to freely telling my SS#, as anyone who is/was in the military will attest, everybody asks you for it all the time, and you don't have the option to just not tell it. However, in the civilian world, I've become more and more reluctant to give it out, as identity theft is a real thing. What I'll often do is either leave it blank or provide my last four. So far, no issues.

The city I retired from used SSN as your employee ID up until around 2000. Drove me nuts that to sign in for a training session there was everyone's SSN. But, back to the subject, I never reveal mine. At least not that I recall in last 10 years or so. There may have been some legitimate need somewhere but I don't recall it.

I have a 457 plan that requires you to provide your SSN when you access the account online through a browser (but not their mobile app). It’s at T. Rowe Price.

I really dislike this requirement and have spoken with their reps about it but that’s the way it is right now. It’s my only access to a stable value fund and I rarely transact so I’m putting up with it.

The older I get, the less my social security number is used.

Only reason I see for giving it out is if it's for identification purposes for a credit bureau report or Lexus/Nexus report being pulled. That would be for changing insurance companies, getting a different credit card or applying for a car loan.

I remember when (1975-1979) my SS # was also my student ID at University.
Same here. They had us etching our SSN onto our valuables (calculators, stereos, etc). If your credit is frozen, and it should be, it's less of an issue.

Our school district was publishing the Social Security numbers of all new hires in the minutes of the board session where the hires were formally approved. I suggested (in the late '90s) that this was a very bad idea, and was told, "We've always done it that way."

They finally stopped.

I never reveal other than tax forms and SS/Medicare. All others, including Doctors have no need for the number.

VW

These days, All of my medical places go by date of birth. They do have the SS on file, but when one calls in for an appt or a prescription, they find me in the system using DOB.

Our school district was publishing the Social Security numbers of all new hires in the minutes of the board session where the hires were formally approved. I suggested (in the late '90s) that this was a very bad idea, and was told, "We've always done it that way."

They finally stopped.

Where I was working back in the 90's my employer distributed a list to all employees which included the employees' names, spouses' names, address, phone number, birth date and SSN. Annually. And this was a state agency. I still have them.

Where I was working back in the 90's my employer distributed a list to all employees which included the employees' names, spouses' names, address, phone number, birth date and SSN. Annually. And this was a state agency. I still have them.

Yes, back then all organizations were using SSN as a form of national identification. We used to have training classes where people would sign in and be asked to put their SSN in one of the fields...for all to see.

Still the top box on our driver's license form I see. Though not on the license itself.

I always got a kick out of using mother's maiden name as well. As if nobody knows it after I've given it out to tons of places for "security". It's better now with more questions and especially when answered with random responses.

When I taught at a state university, all my student rosters had the students’ complete SSNs. I shredded those long ago.

For the pilots out there, the FAA Airmen Certification Branch used to assign your Social Security Number ( SSN) as your certificate number. And this information was available to the public. How secure is that!
Fortunately now they assign a different number for your pilot certificate.

there are probably hundreds of people out there that have your SSN

I just leave it blank when filling out forms requesting this info. No issues so far.
Doesn't that depend on who is making the request? I don't think a bank or broker would open an account if you refused to provide your SSN. Or a credit card issuer. Or a mortgage or auto lender. And probably not an insurance company either.

Last edited:
Social Security number.

Oh, I thought this was one of those polls and everyone was giving their SS#.

But really, I had to go to the SS office to get a SS Card to present to the Liquor commission for our golf course liquor license. I had a card about 50 years ago, have no idea what happened to it. This was the first time I'd ever been required to produce it.

I thought of resigning from the Board as the application says they basically can do whatever they want with your info. But, hey, what is anyone going to do with my SS#? Lol.

Back
Top Bottom