Social Situation: What Would You Do?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Two years ago, one of DW's best friends tells us: "We got a new treadmill. The old one doesn't work, but you can have it -- maybe you can fix it."

We take it home (Weslo Cadence 340), and I futz around with it, and find a cable that is loose. I plug it back in, and the treadmill works fine. I've used it regularly since then, when it's too wet to run outside.

Recently, the friend tells DW that she'd like the treadmill back to give to her daughter.

I don't plan to say anything, although I'm not going help them take it down the stairs (very heavy). I can find one that's just as good on Craigslist for about $50. But I'm curious as to what others would do.

If I were to say something, it would go something like this: "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I'm only charging you $58 for the repair. The bad news is that the $1/day storage charge comes to $912."

Wow, what nerve. I would probably do the same thing that you are doing though. I would try to keep in mind that she is your wife's friend and people are definitely not perfect.

dh2b sez "what the **** ! I'm glad I'm not this woman's [original owner of broken treadmill] husband." :nonono:

I say nay to the Indian giver. She discarded it as a broken treadmill.
Key here is "...broken, but you can HAVE it". She gave it to you. It was not loaned, nor was a repair and return requested.

You moved it, you fixed it, possession is 9/10. :cool:
<gavel raps>

I would take a couple of acting lessons and cheerfully give it back to her. And forever wonder why she WAS one of your wife's best friends.

Remembering that you have gotten two years of treadmill time for free, and that she is your wife's friend, I'd graciously let her have it and even smile pleasantly if possible.

Mentally I'd keep track of this sort of thing, though hopefully she won't make this a habit.

I'd then buy an equivalent treadmill from Craigslist for $50. I'd try not to say much about that in front of her, though it would be so tempting to say "No problem that you wanted that treadmill back, since I got a MUCH better one for only $50 - - had my choice of three at that price - - and didn't even have to repair it!"

While I think she is totally out of order in asking for it back, it is your wife's friend so if your wife wants to give it back, I wouldn't want to upset my wife so I would comply. But I would not do anything to help in the move.

Honestly, I think I'd call her and say that you're confused because you thought she gave you the treadmill. And then see what she says. Hopefully she would be graceful and tell you she forgot....Oops...nd that you can keep it. After all, it's been multiple years.

I would let her take the treadmill, but I would never lend her anything again, nor would I accept any "gifts".

I say bite your lip this time, what goes around comes around.

Is the daughter a 'hottie'?

I think the daughter is a fattie, and that's why her mom is desperate to get her the treadmill.

Had an analogous situation about 15 years ago. A pleasant couple, friends, gave me a nice old mantle clock. Same story, ie. it does not work.
So I spent a good bit of time and effort finding rare parts, fixed it. It had a very nice chime.

Some years passed, whenever they visited, commented how nice it sounds. Then one day the lady decided it was a really nice clock, and that they only "loaned" it.

I returned the clock, now in a functioning condition to these charming folks.

Somehow, I can't remember the last time I've seen or talked to them, or even if they are alive.

Chew on it a while, consider what free sometimes costs, consider two years of use for plugging in a cable, do my best to give it back with grace and maybe a custom magazine rack you made for reading while jogging. Giving back more than you got - and not asking for what you gave back - is evil revenge dressed as guileless good spirit. Costs you very little extra effort and will give you something nice to keep in your mind - makes you really obviously the better person.

Ditto on similar sitation...I cleaned houses for extra cash when I was fresh out of college. My (now ex) MIL decided she wanted me to clean her house, too. She totally underpaid me, $20 for 8 hours work. But she did give me 2 unframed watercolor paintings she had done. They were laying around her basement art room floor with a bunch of other unframed works she had done.
I had both professionally matted and framed. They looked fabulous. When visiting, she remarked that she wanted them back now so she could enter them in an art show. Her attitude was they were loaned. I knew they were given.
I would not let her use my marriage to her son as an excuse to bully me.
I still have those paintings. :cool:

Unplug the cable before they pick it up.

Definitely, the way to go - if you give it back.
I wouldn't and along the way I would make it as awkward for them as possible.
Two years, and she want it back? Instead of acting gracious it might be more fun to act like - "I don't remember getting it from you - two years ago? I don't remember that."
It is tacky to give you something and then ask for it back.
This could be a good time to keep the machine and move the "friends" out of your life.

To me part of living a good life is to have good people around you. Bad people sap your positive life energy.

Definitely, the way to go - if you give it back.
I wouldn't and along the way I would make it as awkward for them as possible.
Two years, and she want it back? Instead of acting gracious it might be more fun to act like - "I don't remember getting it from you - two years ago? I don't remember that."
It is tacky to give you something and then ask for it back.
This could be a good time to keep the machine and move the "friends" out of your life.

To me part of living a good life is to have good people around you. Bad people sap your positive life energy.

Problem is, it is not one of Al's friends but a very good friend of his wife. If refusing to return it is going to upset his wife, then give it back. (could loosen a few screws - ideally it will break shortly after it is returned).

I'd probably give it back. no help moving though...agreed.

Knowing you are a better person for fixing it and giving it back, no arguments, should be reward enough.

Give it to them. Don't say anything to them. Relate the story to a friend i.e. town gossip. Something like 'You know I heard the Johnson's gave the Smithers their old lawn mower. The one that was broken. Jack rebuilt it, painted it, and got it in a1 condition. The johnson's then ask for it back to give to their son!!'

Close enough story that it would most likely get back to your wife's friend, but not have your name attached to it!

Option #1-- Pull the cable. When she asks, tell her, yeah that happened to me all the time, you really need to get a pro to fix it.

Option #2--Pull the cable. Tell her you had sort of jury rigged the fix and you don't feel comfortable with the kid using it that way. Suggest they spend the bucks to fix it right.:angel:

I'd give it back, and I like the idea of sprucing it up. Maybe put a bow on it for her. Some improvements:
- You don't want that belt to rot, so be sure to spray lots of Armor All on it
- Dials and settings can be confusing. If there's a speed control, bypass it. Now the machine is either off or it is going 15 MPH. There's a workout for you.
- Fish. 2 of them. Near the motor, where they will get warm (if anyone ever uses the thing). "The gift that keeps on giving."

Seriously, I'd give t back and just wave goodbye as they left. It really didn't cost you much time, you got good use out of it, and there's no point in ruffling feathers and spreading discontent over this. Anyway, are you 100% sure there's been no miscommunication between you, wife, and her? "I'm going to buy a treadmill for Jeannie." "Why, we've got the one you gave us. Frankly, T-Al's sweat stinks up my sewing room when he uses it, and I'd like to be rid of it. Would you take it? " "Well, I, uh, guess." In the translation, you get a slightly modified version of events. Not that this kind of thing ever happens in MY house.:)

Back
Top Bottom