Son was tripped at school, broken collarbone

gindie, sounds like the principal is taking this seriously. Up to you if you want to reach out to the other parents, but if it were me I would probably eat the costs and get on with life.

You know, if it had been two dogs - and the other dog bit your dog, the other owner would be liable for the costs of the health care...

But guess it gets more heated with kids involved!

gindie, sounds like the principal is taking this seriously. Up to you if you want to reach out to the other parents, but if it were me I would probably eat the costs and get on with life.

Agreed. Of course, if it were my kid that had injured a classmate like this, I'd pro-actively offer to cover the medical expenses of the other child (and would make my child work off that debt). The fact that his parents haven't done that is probably partly indicative of the type of people you're dealing with.

Get on with life... until next time when your kid is hurt worse because nothing was done the first time. I'd let the money issue go (probably) but there has to be some disipline for the kid or he'll do it again and probably worse. All he got was an early start to summer vacation. Maybe next year he'll do it a week earlier.

Hopefully, the school administration will deal fairly and effectively with it. Also, hopefully, the parents of the other child will deal with their son. If you have the chance to discuss it with them perhaps you can mention the results of their kid's behavior and they will step up to make it somewhat right with you. Sorry for you and your child. Unfortunately, working in schools, I see this is not uncommon.

Perhaps the best way to sort this out is to remove the juvenile and school elements that create a lot of distraction.

If you had a disagreement with someone at work, and they stuck a leg out in the hallway and tripped you and you broke your collarbone, what do you think would happen?

The other guy would probably get fired and you'd probably sue him for a fair chunk of change.

I remember being 13. I knew what would and wouldnt hurt someone. I did stupid and impulsive things. When I got in serious trouble for doing those things, I quit doing them.

Ehhh...eventually.

If I were you, I'd go with what the principal has proposed... and leave it at that. Asking for a couple hundred $$ would just make me look and feel petty. I would ask to participate in the meeting next fall, and ask that the other parents' also be there in order to try to see that they are taking it seriously. I would also have the other kid feel the lump where the bones have healed so that he understands what it is that his petty act accomplished.

Please tell me you're joking!?

Milton,

Unfortunately, they aren't. I was shocked when I took a tour of my newly expanded high school during my 25th reunion and saw an office for the resident police officer.

A lot of people will say that things are no worse now than when they were kids, but I sure didn't have a cop at my school when I was going there!

It's pretty much the norm these days.

a lot of schools have cops because of the numerous incidents of violence - i've seen them at elementary schools.

and some have them because now if something happens, they are mandated to file an official police report.

school safety is a huge issue in many areas and obviously controversial in terms of solutions...

Ditto, in college I was a high school security guard working for the "police department" on campus - two on foot with a patrolling car. This was L.A., though.

I also would go through the school for appropriate disciplinary action, and not contact the other parents directly. Most parents of "bad" kids are not reasonable mediators.

I think you hit the nail on the head....after seeing this exact same case over and over on Judge Judy...it always ends up with the other parent thinking they dont owe anything and a power struggle with the other kid's parent...;) Then the parent with the hurt kid complains about pain and suffering and Judge calls her kid dumb...:D

The other case is the the couple living together and splitting up and wanting every thing that they ever spent as a couple back :p

You don't mention if the police were notified by the school. If nothing else, I would want a written report of what happened just in case this is not the last time something like this occurs.

Please tell me you're joking!?

....Unfortunately, they aren't. I was shocked when I took a tour of my newly expanded high school during my 25th reunion and saw an office for the resident police officer.

A lot of people will say that things are no worse now than when they were kids, but I sure didn't have a cop at my school when I was going there!

It's pretty much the norm these days.

a lot of schools have cops because of the numerous incidents of violence - i've seen them at elementary schools.

and some have them because now if something happens, they are mandated to file an official police report.

school safety is a huge issue in many areas and obviously controversial in terms of solutions...

Nope, not kidding at all! They have reserved parking spaces for their squad cars, and their own offices in the schools. They roam the halls, occasionally drop into the classrooms to remind the kids of their presence, and they wander the grounds and parking lots......everyday that school is in session.....even during summer school. A few years ago our HS got the wonderful nickname of "Heroin High", due to the high rate of drug use there. They've even busted kids in 4th and 5th grade peddling dope to their classmates. Very sad, but sadly true. Many of the young offenders are 2nd and 3rd generation dope users/peddlers......like a chip off the old block.

A guy that I went to school with was convicted last week of dealing heroin and cocaine. When we were growing up, his parents were users and dealers. His daughter was sent to prison last year, for the 3rd time, for dealing. She spent the second semester of her senior year of HS in state prison. It's become a family affair. This same guy, who has not had a legitimate job in several years, posted over $100K bail for 4 drug dealers in the past 6 months. Two, a mother and daughter, violated terms of their release, were re-arrested, eventually convicted, and are now being supplied with 3 hots & a cot by our state. Two of the mother's sons are in prison for dealing, and 2 more in custody awaiting trial for dealing......ages 17 through mid-20's. Of the $100K bail money, $70K has been forfeited so far. For a normal working stiff, that would be a tough loss.....but for a family of dope dealers, it's just the cost of running the family business and not a big deal.

Fortunately, our judges are taking a hard line against the problem, and are handing down stiff sentences. First offenders are normally getting about 50% of max sentence, and repeat offenders are being blessed with the max! The HS has finally overcome the "Heroin High" moniker, and the police and administration are making a huge difference with the kids.

That's why we have cops in the classrooms, and occasional drug dog visits to sniff lockers in the halls and cars in the school parking lot. Most of the kids are actually starting to appreciate the presence of the officers and the security they offer.

When I was in HS a guy that sat next to me that weighed maybe 100 pounds got punched in the face and his jaw was broken by a huge muscular guy. He had to have his jaw wired shut and at least two of his teeth pulled out so he could drink his meals through a straw.

Another kid got punched in the face and I don't know what happened to him injury wise for sure but he had a 4x4 inch bandage on his nose for what seemed like 6 months. My guess is his nose was VERY badly broken.

Both of these kids probably had injuries that will affect them for life.

There was fights like everyday and rarely anything was done about them. One kid brought in a knife to kill a few of the kids that picked on him every day while the teacher just stood there and let them. He got suspended.

Another kid threw a girl on the ground and punched her in the face like 10 times...he got in trouble.

HS was very violent. It looks like maybe not much has changed.

Look at how in love people are with violence. Everything is so violent on tv. Kids growing up seeing this stuff day after day can't be good.

I agree with a point that CFB made. The few examples I posted are serious criminal acts and it shouldn't matter if you are 13 or whatever.

Also one of the things that would have made your situation totally different is if your kid was a girl.

Look at that Florida beating with those girls that beat up that one girl.

If it was a guy there would be virtually no amount of injury that would raise an eyebrow. Those guys that got injured when I was in HS I doubt ANYTHING was done by the school. The kids that injured them were still there every day.

If a girl got injured it would be different. And if it was anything sexual they would be serving 50 years in jail!

I hope your son makes a full recovery psychicaly and mentally and has no long term effects from this.

Violence like this in schools should not be seen as ok. I'm long gone out of HS but memories of some of the violence still bothers me.

Jim

It sounds like things are working out OK- glad tro hear that the injuries weren't all that serious. I thought about this a bit more and agree with some of the other posts- if the rest of the kids got wind of the fact that you were pursuing legal remedies for a simple schoolyard altercation, your child would be ostracized beyond belief... and If their parents found out you were successful, they probably would forbid their kids from hanging out with your litigation liabilty. I know I would think twice..

Probably best to let the kids sort it out themselves. Having Mom and Dad fight their battles for them sends the wrong message and doesn't help them out a bit socially- might as well send him back to school in the fall in a cardigan with a big "L" tattooed on his forehead... and a briefcase.

I just don't think the kid who stuck his foot out and tripped OP's son had the intent to break his collarbone or otherwise harm him physically. It was a stupid thing to do but no punches were thrown, it was probably meant as a stupid joke (ha, ha, Johnny tripped). So imho no need to overreact as if it were a truly malicious act.

A close friend (hs valedictorian, now 60) was beat up with another defenseless smart guy in high school by a couple of tough guys, in a truly malicous act (not really a fight since it was one-sided--more a mauling). Thugs got suspended, both died young. Friend and the other smart guy went on to success in life. Karma's a bitch.

From having sat on the jury of an assault w/deadly weapon case, intent is not an element of the crime. When a child is battered, school personnel are mandated by law (at least in CA) to report it to the police.

Totally agree suspicion of a battered child must be reported to police--doesn't sound like this case was reported to police, however.

My son's feet are big and smelly but even I wouldn't call them a deadly weapon--and it doesn't sound like the kid in question was using his feet as a deadly weapon.

I feel bad for OP and his son--hope the collarbone heals up without much pain. OP could send the medical bills to the school, I guess, and let them deal with them--argument could be made I guess that school should keep children at least physically safe.

Last edited:
...argument could be made I guess that school should keep children at least physically safe.

I'm not sure a school can foresee and prevent every case of one kid tripping another. In my opinion this is just one of those learning experiences of youth...for both sides. If the parents of the tripper don't come forward to voluntarily pay medical bills, then trying to force them to will end up creating more of a problem than the bills represent themselves. Chalk this one up to experience and let it go.

Back
Top Bottom