Songs about freedom

Sends chills up my spine every time. There is an "in-concert" version I couldn't find this morning that is even better with the crowd reaction, ends with the refrain repeating about 6 times and the audience going nuts.

Old, Quaint Shaker Hymn

As a major theme in Aaron Copeland's "Appalachian Spring " - 'Tis a gift to be simple, tis a gift to be free, tis a gift to come down where you want to be...':)

Ahhhh, 1969, the year that I learned the freedom to question things. Here's that feeling in one song. And some awesome jazz musicians to boot.

Thank you for posting this video! I wore this LP out! Les McCann was my favorite pianist for years until I got turned on to Oscar Peterson. But Les still is wedged permanently in my musical heart.:cool:

Thank you for posting this video! I wore this LP out! Les McCann was my favorite pianist for years until I got turned on to Oscar Peterson. But Les still is wedged permanently in my musical heart.:cool:
When I saw that video it really made me smile because for years I listened to that song and I'd move my head just like Les does in the video. It was nice to see Eddie Harriss and Benny Bailey because my own vision when listening to the music from album was much different.

Here is another jazz tune worth the listen. Not exactly about freedom but it give me a feeling of freedom.

YouTube - jimmy mcgriff - the bird 7''

steelyman, nice one, so I'll see that, and raise ya...

Never saw that, although I know the tune! It's great, thanks for sharing. You may be interested in a recording of that done in the 80's by Dave Grusin that appears on a CD called "Homage to Duke". They rip it up, but of course it's not the original guys...

And with that, I will step away from this thread. Might be better to start a new one called "FIRE and Bop" :cool:

The Minstrel Boy - Scottish Ballad

The minstrel boy to the war is gone,
In the ranks of death you'll find him;
His father's sword he hath girded on,
And his wild harp slung behind him;
"Land of Song!" cried the warrior bard,
"Tho' all the world betrays thee,
One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
One faithful harp shall praise thee!"

The Minstrel fell! But the foeman's chain
Could not bring that proud soul under;
The harp he lov'd ne'er spoke again,