Sorry - cheesy history

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Andrew Jackson and the big block of cheese:

mental_floss Blog » Andrew Jackson’s Big Block of Cheese

"The White House has been put in order by its present occupant, and is vastly improved – (Van Buren) says he had a hard task to get rid of the smell of cheese, and in the room where it was cut, he had to air the carpet for many days; to take away the curtains and to paint and white-wash before he could get the victory over it. He has another cheese like that which General Jackson had cut, and says he knows not what to do with it. What a foolish thing for a man to have made such a present to him or anyone else".

Sandy Creek NY, where the cheese was made, is right in one of the heaviest lake effect snowfall areas of NY state.

This is a prime example of the strange things people do to kill time during the long winters around these here parts. :LOL:

I love this board! I'd never stumble across this type of trivia on my own!

It's not polite to talk about the President cutting the cheese in the Oval Office. :ROFLMAO:

Andrew Jackson and the big block of cheese:

mental_floss Blog » Andrew Jackson’s Big Block of Cheese

"The White House has been put in order by its present occupant, and is vastly improved – (Van Buren) says he had a hard task to get rid of the smell of cheese, and in the room where it was cut, he had to air the carpet for many days; to take away the curtains and to paint and white-wash before he could get the victory over it. He has another cheese like that which General Jackson had cut, and says he knows not what to do with it. What a foolish thing for a man to have made such a present to him or anyone else".

I thought this thread was going to be about the history of the labor movement in Wisconsin.

Back
Top Bottom