Sponsoring children in other countries

Dash man

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We just got a letter from a young girl we've been sponsoring in Honduras through Child Fund International. She included a picture as she does every year, since I assume it's required by the organization. The letter was a thank you for a recent birthday gift we had sent (money that the organization uses to help her buy things she needs). Every year the picture shows her sad face, never a smile. It did display a lot of the work she has done in her vocational training to become a seamstress. She's now a young lady and will probably be aging out of the program soon and we'll pick another child. It's been a rewarding experience for us, but after all these years I'd sure like to see a smile on that pretty girl's face.
Does anyone else sponsor children through this or another organization and have a story or opinion to share?

........ It's been a rewarding experience for us, but after all these years I'd sure like to see a smile on that pretty girl's face.
When she ages out, send her a check for $1000 and ask her for a selfie.

We are sponsoring two children now and have done several before through WOrld Vision. We get letters, cards & pictures. Most seem pretty happy, what they did with our gift money. I think its a good idea and there are several organizations that use the system. I remember in the movie "About Schmidt' it was a contact that transformed his lonely life.
Lots of ways to give, we also work with Heifer International and Habitat for Humanity but nothinng comes as close as the years I was a Big Brother, so getting connected to a particular child, I think, is a good thing.

Our family sponsors several children through Compassion International. I've seen huge positive transformation in the kids we sponsor and have seen it spill over to their entire families.

Our sponsored kids do smile in their pictures!

I have regularly supported 1-2 kids through CFI for more than 30 years now. Started as student with the idea that, if I can find/earn enough money to study I could pull someone else and born in a more in a more troubled part of the world through, too.
Contact has been regular and not so tight but I have never had regrets. Letters and pictures are often rather standardised but that is not unusual in such countries where pictures are only made for 'official 'purpose anl letters hatdly written.
Never had regrets.

Back
Top Bottom