Sports viewing habits/motivations

I was thinking recently about this whole issue of watching sports on TV. My college football team this year did quite poorly (far worse than preseason expectations), so this led me to start wondering if I was essentially wasting my time by watching their games every Saturday, hoping for the wins but almost always suffering through the losses.

It dawned on me that there seems to be a noticeable difference in the degree to which a loss affects your mood more than a win. This is especially true if your team was expected to win, but even if that's not the case, a loss seems to darken the entire day. With a win, it's like a momentary spike of happiness and satisfaction, but then you kind of forget about it and move on with the rest of your day. The loss, though, seems to hang around in the back of your mind and you keep thinking about "what could have been" or "what should have been".

So with that in mind, yeah I have been questioning my continued devotion to watching things like college and pro football, and pretty much any other sport where I have an emotional stake in the outcome. What is it really doing for my life? Is it overall a net positive or negative? I'll probably keep watching since it's become such a habit over the years, but I can easily see myself spending less and less time tuning in on a regular basis.

I typically just watch "my" teams: Univ of Houston (Peach bowl baby!), Texans, Astros and my adopted team Boise State.

I have season football tickets.

I also watch a crap ton of golf.

I dont' gamble.

Love watching sports on TV and live. Baseball I use as background while I am surfing. Football I will watch. Basketball/hockey I will have on if nothing else going on.

Certainly does not interfere with getting out and doing things. For the Bears (most seasons) if we have something to do I will DVR it watch it later.

Could never cut cable/DTV because of sports.

Everyone has something that they enjoy and that entertains them. I love watching football and cant for the life of me figure out why people enjoy reading fictional books. Reading something about history or a biography about someone who interests you I get, but why read a fictional book when I can watch the movie? The book wastes way too much of my time just like some people think watching sports wastes their time. To each his own.

Everyone has something that they enjoy and that entertains them. I love watching football and cant for the life of me figure out why people enjoy reading fictional books. Reading something about history or a biography about someone who interests you I get, but why read a fictional book when I can watch the movie? The book wastes way too much of my time just like some people think watching sports wastes their time. To each his own.

Works of fiction are art. The use of words, imagery, setting up the plot, suspense, depth of character development, etc. I suppose you could describe football, the players, and the teams in much the same way depending on your sense of aesthetics. I certainly enjoy reading a good work of fiction for a couple hours more than watching a football game!

I've been a season ticket holder for the NY Giants for many years, and religiously watch their away games. I still whoop and holler when they do well, and swear and scream epithets when they (seemingly every week lately) screw up.
When the Nets played in New Jersey, I also had mini season-ticket package.

I view this as just another form of entertainment. I am also physically active, attend plays, lectures, movies etc etc. Enjoying sports as a spectator is not exclusive to enjoying other pursuits. I think I have a good balance. Now, if only the Giants could win out so I could attend at least one playoff game........

This would be an incredibly exciting, frustrating, and yet hopeful year to be a real Giants fan. If football was what a 55 minute game, the G-Men would have already punched their playoff ticket!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Works of fiction are art. The use of words, imagery, setting up the plot, suspense, depth of character development, etc. I suppose you could describe football, the players, and the teams in much the same way depending on your sense of aesthetics. I certainly enjoy reading a good work of fiction for a couple hours more than watching a football game!

My wife loves reading also. Everyone enjoys spending their time different ways. What one person likes to do with their time, another person thinks is a waste of life. I enjoy the plot, suspense and imagery (visual imagery) of movies and TV. To me reading a book takes way too long. If we were all the same life would be very boring.

My wife loves reading also. Everyone enjoys spending their time different ways. What one person likes to do with their time, another person thinks is a waste of life. I enjoy the plot, suspense and imagery (visual imagery) of movies and TV. To me reading a book takes way too long. If we were all the same life would be very boring.

Agreed! I like movies too. I couldn't make it through the Hunger Games books (for example) because the writing just wasn't that compelling. The movies were much easier to (mostly) watch.

Last edited:
It's easy to NOT WATCH sports any longer when your college team loses to South Dakota on Saturday and then to South Dakota State on Tuesday night. Way to go Gophers!

In short, why are some people avid sports fans, others sports bettors, while others lost interest somewhere along the way.

How often and why do you watch sports? Are you one of those people screaming for your team while I calmly turn to my wife and say, "Did you see how the umpires rotated to cover the play in the outfield while still making sure that any potential play at 3rd base would still be covered?" Or, as Mulligan suggested elsewhere, do you have a big chunk of change riding on the game and that's what gets your juices flowing?

I had sports in my blood. My grandpa was a minor leaguer for the Chicago White Sox. He taught me early on. I played some basketball and football, and I was huge into bowling. I was extremely competitive, and had to learn to control that some. After several injuries, I just golf now.

Spectator sports were always a complimentary hobby. After playing all day, I would often listen to games on my big-dial radio, pickup up Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chi. Cubs, Chi. White Sox, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis. I hawked autographs when I could.

And I have never lost the thrill of spectator sports. I have been to Final Fours, MLB playoffs, PGA tournaments, NBA playoffs, and NFL games. I watch a lot on TV, but would probably watch more if my wife would tolerate it more. She's good about it, just not over-the-top fan.

I scream for my team AND I watch the umpires. It's all interesting to me.

Most of my gambling was in Middle School! I don't gamble on sports now.

I had sports in my blood. My grandpa was a minor leaguer for the Chicago White Sox. He taught me early on. I played some basketball and football, and I was huge into bowling. I was extremely competitive, and had to learn to control that some. After several injuries, I just golf now.

Spectator sports were always a complimentary hobby. After playing all day, I would often listen to games on my big-dial radio, pickup up Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chi. Cubs, Chi. White Sox, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis. I hawked autographs when I could.

And I have never lost the thrill of spectator sports. I have been to Final Fours, MLB playoffs, PGA tournaments, NBA playoffs, and NFL games. I watch a lot on TV, but would probably watch more if my wife would tolerate it more. She's good about it, just not over-the-top fan.

I scream for my team AND I watch the umpires. It's all interesting to me.

Most of my gambling was in Middle School! I don't gamble on sports now.

I almost got spanked by middle school principal back in the day when a teacher busted my gambling ring by noticing the paying line in front of my desk before school started. I talked my way out of it by showing him the newspaper lines I used and said I didn't know it was wrong because it was in the newspaper. He left the paddle on the desk and told me not to do it anymore. Being one who didn't care for pain much, I followed the directive.

As I kid I played a few sports and watched a little sports. Stuff you are expected to do and I enjoyed it OK.

Never really got into watching sports. Just seemed boring.

Was recently talking to my brother who is very big on sports and goes to lots of professional games - though mostly for work - and I realized how much money I have saved over the years ignoring sports!

I almost got spanked by middle school principal back in the day when a teacher busted my gambling ring by noticing the paying line in front of my desk before school started. I talked my way out of it by showing him the newspaper lines I used and said I didn't know it was wrong because it was in the newspaper. He left the paddle on the desk and told me not to do it anymore. Being one who didn't care for pain much, I followed the directive.

Haha, I used to bet on both teams, and get spreads that would assure that I would never lose, and possibly win both bets if I hit in the middle. I think I was the inventor of the over/under bet :cool: After that, I set my sights on inventing the internet :LOL:

Was recently talking to my brother who is very big on sports and goes to lots of professional games - though mostly for work - and I realized how much money I have saved over the years ignoring sports!

Bleacher seats were 50 cents when I was a kid. The last game we went to, they were $38. My wife declared that was her last game. She said she can do a lot of shopping for $38. :)

There are cheaper alternative for sports fans to watch without breaking the bank. I periodically go see the minor league teams of Bruins and Red Sox at a fraction of the cost of the pro teams. I'm just fortunate to live within a 30 minutes commute to the pro and minor league venues.

But if you're not a sports fan you wouldn't enjoy the games regardless of cost.

There are cheaper alternative for sports fans to watch without breaking the bank. I periodically go see the minor league teams of Bruins and Red Sox at a fraction of the cost of the pro teams. I'm just fortunate to live within a 30 minutes commute to the pro and minor league venues.

But if you're not a sports fan you wouldn't enjoy the games regardless of cost.

I agree. We are a 15 minute walk to a Class A team. The talent level is good, but they sometimes make little league mistakes. It's great fun though, and more of a social event for most of the people.

I like going to Web.com golf, too. Seems like the big difference with the pros is putting and scrambling.

In both cases, there is something exciting about watching people trying to get to the top, rather than Prima Donnas that are already there.

In both cases, there is something exciting about watching people trying to get to the top, rather than Prima Donnas that are already there.

I agree. The minor league athletes play harder and the effort is always there because they cannot afford to take plays off like most of the pros do.

In grade school back in late 60's/early 70's I used to have a transistor in my pocket with a earpiece snaked up through my shirt sleeve so I could rest my head on my hand and listen to Vince Loyd and Lou Boudroau do the play by play for the Cubs.

It was an early addiction.

Grew up watching the Colts just like Harley and still not over their move. My dad was a football fan (went to the infamous Super Bowl III) and we watched games on TV together, and somewhere along the way I also became an Orioles fan. He was also into basketball, especially college, and although I don't have an athletic bone in my body, I became the statistician for our HS basketball team which got me much more acquainted with the sport. Then I went to Duke and rarely missed a home BB game. Have also always loved auto racing - my dad was into cars but I don't recall him watching many races on TV.

DH and I enjoy watching college football on TV and occasionally an NFL game. I watch NASCAR and Duke basketball. We all picked up watching soccer/football when we lived in Europe for a few years, now pretty much just watch the big tournaments (men and women).

I could go on but you get the idea - we won't be cutting the cord anytime soon.

Grew up in a college sports-crazed house. Became a Colts fan when they moved to Indy (sorry, guys) and was always a Pacers fan. Watched the Cubs on WGN after school and have been a fan ever since. Growing up, mom planned days around games (particularly football) though Dad couldn't have cared less.

As I've gotten older and married, I don't have to see every game, though I like to. I no longer let the outcomes of games I can't control have much effect on my mood, though I admit I did up till a few years ago. I don't want to be like that and there is much more to my life now too.

I play fantasy football and participate in buy-in NCAA tournament pools and a weekly football confidence picking pool. I make one or two individual game bets every year for he hell of it and with a smallish amount of money.

I prefer sports to regular TV, but find as much joy in a good book as I do in any random sports game.

Prefer NFL to college (college football ceased to be "amateur" long ago).
Prefer college to NBA (little guys still have a chance).
Like baseball in general.
Couldn't care less about hockey.
Love soccer.

Grew up playing soccer, basketball, and running. Still run and do tris and play golf occasionally.

Sport will always be part of my life, both participation and spectating. My wife and I love going to baseball and football games together, with a goal of hitting every MLB ballpark at some point. Sports are something we share and one of the things that brought my family together and my wife and I too.

Haha, I used to bet on both teams, and get spreads that would assure that I would never lose, and possibly win both bets if I hit in the middle. I think I was the inventor of the over/under bet :cool: After that, I set my sights on inventing the internet :LOL:

My buddy only bets ovr/unders. That is his addiction. Back in middle school I really didn't think I was doing anything wrong. I remember getting the idea from watching Jimmy the Greek on NFL today giving the lines and his bets. When teacher asked what I was doing with the money, I remember telling her...Were making bets on NFL games and I am the bank. I remember having a 50 cent limit as I couldn't handle a big loss. She sent me straight to the office. I made a few dollars I remember as she didn't notice evidently for a few weeks.

haha that's great. I quit when two kids realized I was betting against both of them.

haha that's great. I quit when two kids realized I was betting against both of them.

Betting is an interesting phenomena... I think its a gene you are born with. Some people I know can blow a $100 on something stupid and not bat an eye, but cant stomach to lose a $20 bet. I read Aussie's are the worst...an article said they would bet on which fly would climb the wall the fastest.

My interest in sports has dropped to nearly zero in the last 20-25 years. Back when I was a kid, a teenager, and a college student, I was a big sports fan, going to many pro baseball, basketball, and hockey games. But as the 1970s and 1980s became the 1990s, a few things happened to lessen my interest in sports.

(1) Increasing off-the-field issues made it tougher to stay interested. These included labor issues, drug issues, and personal problems for the players. Finding actual stories about the games in the newspapers became a tougher and tougher task. When baseball had its strike in 1994, I was rooting for it to NOT get resolved until the end of the 1995 season.

(2) I began working full-time and didn't have the time or energy to go to many games any more. Games were ending so late I couldn't stay up to watch them or get home in time to get to sleep at a reasonable time.

(3) Games on TV were becoming more an endless barrage of advertising surrounding a small amount of action. Baseball, for instance, began having ads on the walls behind home plate so the centerfield camera shot was a nonstop ad. Similarly, more and more games moving to cable TV (I didn't get cable until 1996) made it tougher for me to watch the games.

(4) My interest in pro sports was helped by being a frequent Strat-o-Matic player through the 1970s and most of the 1980s. But as my interest in sports waned, my interest in playing Strat went down with it. I have enjoyed a Strat revival in the last 10 years but only as it relates to the older cards (from the 1970s and 1980s) I still own.

(1) Increasing off-the-field issues made it tougher to stay interested. ...

(2) I began working full-time and didn't have the time or energy to go to many games any more. ...

(3) Games on TV were becoming more an endless barrage of advertising surrounding a small amount of action. ...

(4) My interest in pro sports was helped by being a frequent Strat-o-Matic player through the 1970s and most of the 1980s. ...

I can relate to all of this. Strat-o-Matic baseball, wow! That really brings back some great childhood memories.

One thing that has struck me about TV "coverage" of sports (OK, I'm slow). Back in the day, that's what it was, the game was going on and the TV was there. Now, however, the entire pace of televised sports (with the exception of soccer?) is dictated by the needs of TV. Baseball games are now routinely over 3 hours and football games are parades of showboating and commercials interspersed with an occasional football play. And don't even get me started on "TV time outs" in basketball.

I just ran across my favorite Bob Gibson story. Seems the Cardinals were on the Game of the Week sometime in the mid-60's and a TV exec approached one of the Cardinals staffers asking him if they could get Gibson to take more time warming up between innings so that they could fit in their 1:00 minute of commercial time. The staffer answered, in essence, "No way in hell am I asking him that." At that time, there was no doubt that the game took priority over the TV side. Now, they had to create a stupid clock just to get the half inning break to 2:45 seconds (2:25 for local). Gotta have time for ads.

The only people who seem to have fought this battle to a reasonable draw are the rich farts who run the Masters. But that's a group of people who are accustomed to getting their own way.

Back
Top Bottom