Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I may have mentioned this before, but around here coffee places are packed, and it has less to do with coffee or service and more to do with WiFi. Seems like most tables are occupied by Internet surfers. What a phenomenon.

When Starbucks started out there was no WiFi.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I may have mentioned this before, but around here coffee places are packed, and it has less to do with coffee or service and more to do with WiFi. Seems like most tables are occupied by Internet surfers. What a phenomenon.

Where I live, Starbucks is one of the few still charging for WiFi. The other places have free WiFi and that's where everyone is hanging out. Now I hear Starbucks is going to offer free WiFi IF you have a Starbucks card. I don't have to have any card to get free WiFi at the place next door, that's where I'll be, you're a day late SB so it's too late to set hooks...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
It's even more disgusting to see a grown man order a venti half calf carmel frappucino with extra whip cream and sprinkles.
MMMmmmm . . .veal and coffee
Old 02-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Dude, you're on a roll tonight...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I find that nothing puts me in the mood for working on a computer more than a cup of coffee. I have no other justification for going to a coffee shop, especially when I can hang out in just about any park or beach. So I can understand coffee shops wanting to exploit me by trading coffee for bandwidth.

Our local Starbucks doesn't offer free WiFi, but they showed me where to sit so that my laptop could pick up the signal from the Seattle's Best across the parking lot...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our local Starbucks doesn't offer free WiFi, but they showed me where to sit so that my laptop could pick up the signal from the Seattle's Best across the parking lot...
That could be a big part of their new customer relations program! I've only gone to Starbucks once - to use their WiFi, but left when I found that it wasnt free. Went to Panerra Bread instead.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
2. All these stupid drinks. 90% of the time I'm in starbucks I order a venti drip coffee. The other 10% I will have a latte or espresso. I can't stand going into the shop and being stuck behind all these teenage girls ordering drinks with 10 different variations. It sounds stupid, and it takes away from the experience for the other customers. It's even more disgusting to see a grown man order a venti half calf carmel frappucino with extra whip cream and sprinkles. He's probably the kind of guy who goes to a sports bar with his friends and orders a pina colada.
Great point above. They've made ordering coffee as stuffy and snobby as ordering wine - and in the process, hooked America on paying $4 a cup.

I see people in Starbucks noticably anxious on "what to order" - to pay $4 to be anxious over a stupid drink is boggling.

The combination of "menu explosion" and "mass market volume" has lead to poor service.

I go to Hampton Inns midday for a great coffee, peace, and free internet. Just show Hilton Honors card - don't need to be staying there. I stay at Hamptons over 75 nights/year for work, so I don't feel guilty...
Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Probably not a fair test, but I have only tried SB twice and those were at interstate rest stops. Dumped the last half of the coffee both times. I like plain black coffee, theirs is to bitter for my taste. I only gave them the second chance because I thought the first was a fluke. I do like MD and DD coffee. Tim Horton is good to.

Jeb
Old 02-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
MMMmmmm . . .veal and coffee
Bacon...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Hey man, theres nothing wrong with dunking bacon in your coffee.

Works both ways, a little smoke and salt in your coffee tastes pretty good. Ask anyone who has ever been in the navy...

Jeb - Most of the taste tests I've seen say that starbucks coffee sucks when it isnt loaded with milk and sugar, but a lot of coffee that tastes good plain suffers from being turned into a sugar and cream delivery unit. Starbucks overroasts their coffees to stand up to a double machiatto frapuccini pumpkin grande quaddro leather mocha treatment.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hey man, theres nothing wrong with dunking bacon in your coffee.

Works both ways, a little smoke and salt in your coffee tastes pretty good. Ask anyone who has ever been in the navy...

Jeb - Most of the taste tests I've seen say that starbucks coffee sucks when it isnt loaded with milk and sugar, but a lot of coffee that tastes good plain suffers from being turned into a sugar and cream delivery unit. Starbucks overroasts their coffees to stand up to a double machiatto frapuccini pumpkin grande quaddro leather mocha treatment.
I love the taste of Starbucks plain coffee. Everything else tastes weak to me .
Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

But do you put bacon in it?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'm paranoid about spilling coffee on my computer, so it's not a good match for me.

I bet a problem for the shop concerning WiFi is that many customers will come in, order one item, and then sit at a table for two hours. I also notice people sitting in their cars outside (with motor running) on their laptop.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #34

Quote:
I'm paranoid about spilling coffee on my computer, so it's not a good match for me.

Beer mug hat with a sippy straw and you're set!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Al, I'm shocked you havent cobbled up some sort of tripod attachment with auto-covering ability for a cup of coffee.

Or bring your own little pyramid shaped coffee cup.

On the other hand, that project wouldnt work. There'd be a hole in it somewhere from a prior project...
Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Absolutely. Especially if it was brewed at 0800 and you're drinking it at 0430. In your "very own" cup that hasn't been washed since you reported aboard two years ago.

Quote:
Starbucks overroasts their coffees
Quote:
I love the taste of Starbucks plain coffee. Everything else tastes weak to me .
I think that's called a "dark roast"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote