Starting to need a new computer, what to get?

I have a MacBook given to me by my daughter when my PC crashed a few years ago.

We have since bought a Mac Book Pro for my son and have become Apple fans.

I have a desktop and an iPad. I think they complement each other nicely. The iPad has completely replaced my laptop. In fact, I now find using a laptop kind of awkward (I hate track pads). I like the expansive real estate on the desktop screen (iMac 27") and find it ideal for multitasking. I also like the full size keyboard with num pad.

I'm a laptop girl. I bought my present Toshiba laptop in (drum roll) 2003 and it immediately displaced my desktop. My laptop is relatively heavy compared to some of the modern ones but it has served me well all over North America and Europe. I have a Logitech wireless keyboard with no hard connection in my home office, and the whole thing is linked wirelessly to my router.

I got an iPad 2 three months ago and I do use it for some work applications, including accessing my work desktop and checking ICD codes for billing. But it has no talent in word processing, spreadsheets, etc and would not be sufficient alone. It's real strength is in media access. I love watching movies, reading and playing games on it, and all while listening to the complete Beethoven symphonies. ( except while watching movies of course ).

When my laptop dies I will probably get another laptop.

I have an apple iMac and iPad. I use the iPad mostly for surfing, but do some spreadsheets and word docs and PDFs. I really like the iMac/iPad/iPhone combo.

We just have the one Dell XPS8000 with 8GB ram, a 1TB drive with a 2TB backup drive. Wired mouse/keyboard and a Dell U2410 monitor for photo editing since it will display 98% of the Adobe 1998 RGB gamut. (Next best monitor costs 2x the Dell.) Subtle differences in photos show up well with it.

A short description of why that matters is here: Introduction to Color Spaces

I like the desktop with the tower. Laptops keyboard are too small and have oddball layouts for some keys.

Got an iPad right when it came out. Will probably get a new one soon. The current one still works fine, but I didn't expect to use it for videos when I got it so I got a mid-sized, and I use it a lot for that now, and I'm running out of space. I converted from PC to MacBook Pro at the same time. Last year, DW inherited the MacBook Pro, and I got a MacBook Air, since I travel a lot. Still, I only take it when I know I'm going to need more than email capability. Yes, you can do spreadsheets on the iPad. No, it is not very easy to do complicated spreadsheets. So, I use the iPad for emails and internet when traveling and most of the time when I am home. I also use it to download videos such as "Modern Family" and prop it on the treadmill for my indoor runs when the weather outside isn't cooperating. When I need spreadsheets or presentations, I take the MacBook.

I really need a laptop and an iPad, so this combo really works for me. Unless something drastic changes, I will never go back to Microsoft for personal use, and if I had a choice I would not use it for work either. (In a couple years I won't even have to worry about that anymore).

R

When I need a new computer I go to places liek NewEgg and purchase all the parts and pieces and put together a very fast machine for about half the cost of purchasing one that is already built. It took about 30 minutes to build it out once I got all the parts.

Can you provide a good resource for determining which components to buy? I've never built my own computer, but I'm confident I could do it. But I'm a little lost with all the choices.

I'm using linux for my main machine, so buying components w/o an installed OS should help keep the price down.

I currently use a laptop as my 'desktop'. External keyboard/mouse and a USB hub, occasionally an external monitor when I need more screen real-estate, which is rare - the 'Workplace Switcher', 'Window Selector' and 'Window List' applets really help keep my screen uncluttered. I keep separate 'stuff' on separate virtual screens, and move easily between them.

Anyhow, since I've got this laptop, and a little netbook I bought for travel, and DW has a laptop (MacBookPro), I'm thinking of moving to a mini-sized desktop when I replace this laptop as my main machine. I think I would want to go with a mobile processor - I'm a little shocked at these 500W power supplies they call for in most of those builds on NewEgg. What will that do to my electric bill! My laptop uses about 20W. I'd also like the option of connecting two monitors - sometimes that is super-useful.

I go to this passmark site to compare relative CPU performance (the CPU names and GHz ratings don't seem to mean much!):

PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs

Any help is appreciated!

-ERD50

You Apple fans are killing me...I've been tempted for years, good thing my Dell XPS is only 4 years old and I use the PC less and less (favoring the iPad).

Can you provide a good resource for determining which components to buy? I've never built my own computer, but I'm confident I could do it. But I'm a little lost with all the choices.

I'm using linux for my main machine, so buying components w/o an installed OS should help keep the price down.

I currently use a laptop as my 'desktop'. External keyboard/mouse and a USB hub, occasionally an external monitor when I need more screen real-estate, which is rare - the 'Workplace Switcher', 'Window Selector' and 'Window List' applets really help keep my screen uncluttered. I keep separate 'stuff' on separate virtual screens, and move easily between them.

Anyhow, since I've got this laptop, and a little netbook I bought for travel, and DW has a laptop (MacBookPro), I'm thinking of moving to a mini-sized desktop when I replace this laptop as my main machine. I think I would want to go with a mobile processor - I'm a little shocked at these 500W power supplies they call for in most of those builds on NewEgg. What will that do to my electric bill! My laptop uses about 20W. I'd also like the option of connecting two monitors - sometimes that is super-useful.

I go to this passmark site to compare relative CPU performance (the CPU names and GHz ratings don't seem to mean much!):

PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs

Any help is appreciated!

-ERD50

I really can't give a resource to help make choices; I just checked out the specs and bought those items that i needed:

I picked my case (Full Tower), then the motherboard, CPU, memory, Hard drive, DVD burners. The cases usually come with a power supply, you will need to get a large enough (500W-750W) one to supply power to all the devices. I would reccomend the following motherboard (ASUS), I like Kingston memory (the motherboard spec with tell you the type of memory you can use), Western Digital Hard drives (SATA), THE DVD players are all about the same. As for the processor I like IBM, but have used AMD, get one that has more than 2 cores.

Most montherboard support multi monitors, but you may need to look at video cards if it does not (i like the EV3A). I run two monitors on my ASUS board. Network cards are on the motherboard too.

Ah, the memories of opening the dusty case, forcing cards into slots, trying to route the ribbon cables, switching the tiny configuration switches with a pen, figuring which is the master and which the slave, getting the power supply cables to reach, different drive mounting standards, getting the case to close, reopening it because the floppy drives don't line up, waiting two minutes to see if it will boot...

Never again!

Ah, the memories of opening the dusty case, forcing cards into slots, trying to route the ribbon cables, switching the tiny configuration switches with a pen, figuring which is the master and which the slave, getting the power supply cables to reach, different drive mounting standards, getting the case to close, reopening it because the floppy drives don't line up, waiting two minutes to see if it will boot...

Never again!
+1 I used to change my oil and rebuild carburetors too. No thanks. :)

Never again!

I understand, I have been doing this for a long time; a lot has changed, ribbon cable have been replaced with SATA cables (no more master and slave stuff), when I built the last two for myself and wife no configuration dip switch to change, longer power supply cables these days too, drives and cards just snap in place no more rails, don't use floopies any more so did not get one.

Maybe I am old school, just finishing up putting the rebuilt engine and transmission into my wife's niece's car. Oil change, spark plugs, timing belt, and a whole bunch of stuff. Can't say I saved any money doing it myself, but had a lot of fun and cuts.:dance:

Computers and carburetors share some dna in that it's possible to work on them and end up with more parts than you started with. :facepalm:

Never again!

Not to mention the feeling of frying a CPU or two along the way! :D

Hardware components change so fast, so if doing a build, be sure to get a current magazine or make sure the site you visit is recent.

Maxium PC (not to get confused with Maxim magazine which is a whole different thing! :LOL:) (Technology News, Computer and Notebook Reviews, Computer News, Computer Mods, PC News | Maximum PC) is what I've used before both in book and magazine which offer good how-to directions.

In my opinion, the best benifit of building a PC is if you do it once, when a part breaks down, you have a clue as to how to go about fixing it.

That said, my next PC (not sure when that'll be), I'm tempted to be lazy and just buy one from the store. But also, think about rolling up my sleeves and building the "perfect" pc from parts. In otherwords, I'm undecided.

Last edited:

Never again!

Well, I've never built one myself, so I don't know how much effort it is. However, I was kinda figuring that...

I understand, I have been doing this for a long time; a lot has changed, ribbon cable have been replaced with SATA cables (no more master and slave stuff), ... no configuration dip switch to change, longer power supply cables these days too, drives and cards just snap in place no more rails, don't use floopies any more so did not get one.

things are easier these days, as DFA says. But I am wondering if I can really save much/anything over watching for sales (when the time comes - I'm hopefully a year away from getting serious about upgrading).

-ERD50

I switched from PC to laptop several years ago and don't intend to go back. I do think that laptops do not last as long as a desk top. There is so much stuff crammed into the laptop that heat can be a problem. From what I've found 4 years of fairly heavy use is about the best your going to get out of a laptop, but, for me the convenience tops the shorter life. Just keep good backups.

. Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim
Former geek here, who used to build his own PCs - we're down to two iPads and a mobile hotspot. I'm not an Apple lover, but the tablets do everything I want from writing to photo editing. They're smaller, load faster, and you don't need a light at night to see the ketboard. Unless you're a gamer or have windows specific program you're required to use...

Just my .02.
seraphim,

Do you do a fair amount of typing on the iPad?

What about things like spreadsheets and working on Powerpoint slides?

(Full disclosure: I tried 'straight' typing on an iPad at the Apple store and at Best Buy, and both times, it felt very awkward. I think I'm used to the positive location and mechanical feedback of a keyboard.)

omni

I do quite a bit of writing on the iPad, and plan to write a great deal more after retirement.. I much prefer it now to a standard keyboard. There's just a learning curve.

A lot of spreadsheets as well - all excel compatible.

Power point? No. Haven't looked into the apps, either, to see if it's possible.

Just checked - there is an MS PowerPoint app for the iPad

Last edited:
A lot has changed - never again

a lot has changed, ribbon cable have been replaced with SATA cables ... drives and cards just snap in place no more rails,
+1
I built several computers myself over the years. DW was always looking for more performance to edit the videos and create DVDs. While she was rendering she would look for something to do. So I setup an old HP laptop to a KV Switch (share same KB, mouse, monitor), so she could read her email and stuff while waiting. She is using the laptop ever since for every day tasks and backs things up to the desktop. I also use Asus laptop connected to KB, mouse, monitor; so it is very quiet in our his/hers office without the 500W+ PS noise of the desktop. I use a 3TB USB3 drive for our backups we take with us on RV trips each year.
I would recommend KV Switch with USB KB & mouse connections and use your Dell laptop again. You may like it. Turn on your BIG guns only for DVD burning and backups.

Here have been muddling along with a 7 yo Mac G4 powerbook (1 GHz) waiting for the rumored new macs to come out. So ready for a 15 inch laptop, hopefully, hopefully with a screen as non-glossy as possible. Saw this the other day, and so maybe don't have long to go:

Rumor: Apple to launch 15-inch MacBook Air in April, 'effectively killing the Pro'

Tell myself that the time I spend on it, and the reduced hassle factor (we have 2 genius bars within a few minutes drive) justify the cost.

Don't save much $$

Well, I've never built one myself, so I don't know how much effort it is.
But I am wondering if I can really save much/anything over watching for sales (when the time comes - I'm hopefully a year away from getting serious about upgrading).
-ERD50

Cost of computers came down a lot so you don't save much.

It is not very difficult to put together your new supper computer, once you get all the parts. But what I do not like any more is the moment of truth, when you flip the On switch and it does not work. Like the lights are on, but nobody is home. How do you figure out whether it is the CPU from Frys or the RAM from Egg... Without the correct spare part to swap, it is too much work! I have better thinks to do.

Don't do it unless you like a challenge.

Cost of computers came down a lot so you don't save much.

Don't do it unless you like a challenge.

That's what it seems like. I'm just not seeing these 2x savings at this point.

Sometimes I do things for the challenge. Not sure I want to make this one of them though, at least not for what would be my 'main machine', and my main machines become my alternates, no reason for my to build a back up machine.

(
Here have been muddling along with a 7 yo Mac G4 powerbook (1 GHz) waiting for the rumored new macs to come out. So ready for a 15 inch laptop, hopefully, hopefully with a screen as non-glossy as possible. Saw this the other day, and so maybe don't have long to go:

Rumor: Apple to launch 15-inch MacBook Air in April, 'effectively killing the Pro'

Tell myself that the time I spend on it, and the reduced hassle factor (we have 2 genius bars within a few minutes drive) justify the cost.

Sounds a lot like 'one more year' syndrome. ;) There have been lots of new macs since the G4! My son was using his G4 Macbook up until last year though. DW got used to the glossy screen on her MBP. I'd probably prefer matte, I don't use hers enough to know if I'd adjust OK.

You will be amazed at the speed difference between any new Mac and the old G4. All the recent programs are optimized for Intel.

-ERD50

New Dell XPS 8300 with Intel core i7 here. It is so much better than the 8 year old Dell it replaced. I thought I wanted to upgrade with a solid state hard drive but find this computer is so fast that I do not need it. I like having a big monitor to look at. I would have gotten a Mac but DW says all the educational stuff she uses in her classroom is PC. I may get an ipad for the extra versatility but the desktop with tower and big monitor will prolly always be my primary use computer.

Back
Top Bottom