Why get a stationary computer?

I have a laptop computer which I use for everything.

And two portable drives I use for a rotating backup scheme.

I see people here and elsewhere buying stationary desktop computers like iMacs or similar Microsoft variants.

What do you use those for that you cannot do on a laptop computer?

Just curious here - wondering if I am missing something :cool:

I haven't had a desktop computers in probably 15 years now. It's a laptop that I use the same way I did my desktop about 99% of the time. That is, it's connected to a large monitor, an external keyboard and a mouse. Also has an external doc for extra USB ports, etc.

The difference is now when I travel, I can just disconnect it and take it with me. But day to day, I use it the same way I used my old desktop machines. Except that it takes up a lot less space and makes a lot less noise. :LOL:

Cheers.

Still have one sitting on a computer desk behind me but I long ago went to laptops.

Don't need a powerful desktop computer for gaming.

I love the tiny form factor of the macmini. its 8 decks of cards.. ish. zero noise. I love not even seeing it. just a bluetooth keyboard I can replace independently.

If I can buy an even smaller cube and hide it in the wall I would.

I have a laptop computer which I use for everything.

And two portable drives I use for a rotating backup scheme.

I see people here and elsewhere buying stationary desktop computers like iMacs or similar Microsoft variants.

What do you use those for that you cannot do on a laptop computer?

Just curious here - wondering if I am missing something :cool:

This is a joke, right? But just in case there is so much that you can't easily do on a laptop computer or is more difficult. Note that I have 2 laptops so I am not anti-laptop.

For my desktop I had it built by NZXT. I specified every part of it. I could get exactly the graphics card that I wanted, exactly the SSD drives including brand. I like buying able to get what I want. Some high end laptops do have some customization but it is very limited.

The limited customization might not be bad if you could get in a laptop equivalent performance as in a desktop computer (for my needs). But, you can't. My graphics card can't be put into a laptop and nothing in a laptop will come close to it.

I also use 3 large monitors (simultaneously). I like having that ability. With most laptops the best you can easily accomplish is one external monitor. I like having 3. I could have 4 if I wanted to.

My desktops last longer and become slow and cranky much more slowly than laptops. If I decide I need to have an even better graphics card than what I have in this laptop I can just go buy one and it can be installed. If I need a better graphics card on my laptop I'm getting a new laptop.

I can have 2 SSD drives on my desktop. Some laptops can be customized to do this but not many and often the SSD drives are small and will cost you.

That is another thing. A desktop of equivalent specs to a laptop is far, far, far less expensive. I have 2 laptops. I have a Macbook Pro and I also have a Dell laptop. The Macbook Pro is higher end. It is very nice. However, my desktop computer runs rings around it and was about the same cost. If you need a laptop due to portability then you need one (as I saw -- I have two). But if you don't need a laptop then a desktop will be far less expensive for equivalent performance.

Most laptops have trackpads which I hate. Of course you can use a mouse nd keyboard with them (I do) but then you have a lot more stuff to carry around. I like my desktop keyboard. It will connect to 3 devices so I use it for my desktop, for my phone and one of the laptops. I also like having a standalone mouse.

I could go on but basically most notebooks to me are just nowhere near as powerful as a desktop and are always a performance compromise. I can understand someone who needs a computer and can't afford both who might go for a notebook. Also if you have limited computer needs and basically just use it for web surfing or other things that don't require much power. I actually went notebook free for a few years and didn't much miss it. But in the last couple of years I had more need for portability so ended up with two of them. I like them. They are not in any a substitute for a desktop (and gaming is to me not very good on them).

This is a joke, right? ...

Not at all (I'm not the OP).

You based your long post on your needs/wants. That's fine, but not everyone has the same use profile, needs or wants.

No joke (and I've used a laptop as my desktop since 2014). There are valid reasons for that choice (and your choice). But it's not 'one size fits all'.

-ERD50

... I also use 3 large monitors (simultaneously). I like having that ability. With most laptops the best you can easily accomplish is one external monitor. I like having 3. ...

I was curious about this, so I hooked up a 2nd external HDMI monitor (in addition to the laptop screen). No problem, came right up, and allowed me to configure the arrangement of each (I'm running Linux Xubuntu 22.04). So that's three monitors total.

I don't have a third external to test (which would be four screens total), so I'm not sure if it supports that or not. But I wouldn't have the desk space for four screens anyhow.

-ERD50

First, a laptop can easily be used as a desktop computer. Just add a docking hub and connect a standard monitor, keyboard, mouse, network, etc. While my wife was still working, she used this docking station with her work supplied laptop. It had a tiny 10" screen with associated tiny keyboard, but it functioned like a standard desktop with her own peripherals. Plug in a couple cables and she was good to go.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823BQ4PK?th=1

As for preference, I still prefer a desktop computer, mostly so I can upgrade or customize as I wish. I can easily replace a graphics card, install a new power supply, add another SSD drive, install a quieter cooling fan, add in a tuner card, add a 2.5g or 10g networking card, etc. If anything dies, I can just replace that part without replacing the entire computer. I'm still using the same case I bought 16+ years ago, but have upgraded the internal components many times over the years.

I do have a fairly decent Acer laptop I used for software testing and a bit of travel, but it mostly just sat unused. When my wife retired last year I turned the laptop into a basic network attached storage (NAS). Most of the time I don't need the keyboard or mouse for that, and performance isn't much of an issue. I upgraded the internal NVME M.2 drive to 4TB and added a USB3 to 2.5g ethernet adapter for faster networking. It's been running a few months now with no issues, and is nice to be doing something other than collecting dust on a shelf.

Not at all (I'm not the OP).

You based your long post on your needs/wants. That's fine, but not everyone has the same use profile, needs or wants.

No joke (and I've used a laptop as my desktop since 2014). There are valid reasons for that choice (and your choice). But it's not 'one size fits all'.

-ERD50

Ah I can see that my post was not nearly as clear as I thought it was. The reason that I was a little surprised by the initial inquiry was not at all because I think everyone should need a desktop computer. Even though only have a laptop is not what I want I fully understand why it might work great for some people. Indeed, at one time I tried only having a laptop because I hoped it would work for me. (It didn't).

I do understand people have different needs and wants so I can see why someone might want a laptop. What surprised me was that the OP seemed incredulous that anyone could possibly want a desktop and seemed stumped by the very idea. To me, the reasons that some people (by no means all) might want a desktop are fairly obvious. Just like to me the reasons someone might want only a laptop are fairly obvious. The OP didn't seem to be aware at all of why anyone could want a desktop and that was what surprised me. That is why I posted my "long" post. So I could explain those reasons. I wasn't trying to say that those needs or wants would apply to everyone. Just trying to answer the original question.

I recently purchased an Apple Mac Studio and Studio Display, to help feed my photography hobby and potential part-time (but very low-paying) gig. For the photo-editing software, 32gb of RAM is pretty much a must, and the basic model of the Mac Studio comes with 32gb of RAM. The Studio Display monitor is amazing for photo editing. Also, the desktop setup is good for Zoom calls for my part-time work.

I have a Mac Mini that is my music server, and a second Mac Mini in the kitchen that serves as our kitchen TV.

My MacBook Air (8gb RAM) laptop gets plenty of use too, mainly for my part-time work that requires a lot of writing.

All the Macs talk to each other and can share files/screens, which is pretty cool.

We moved to Laptops before we moved , may even still have the tower in storage. We plan on getting a mini tower setup to hook up off line to the TV for editing /sorting all the A/V junk we have built up over the years. Have a DVD B/R player writer so can watch movies play games. Just gotta get this house done.

Ah I can see that my post was not nearly as clear as I thought it was.

... What surprised me was that the OP seemed incredulous that anyone could possibly want a desktop and seemed stumped by the very idea. ...

OK, with that context, I see.

The way I read the OP, was not as 'incredulous', but just asking what she might be missing. But I can see how you could read it as you did as well.

-ERD50

A bit of thread drift, but...

I stated earlier about how I like to use a laptop as a desktop (with full sized keyboard, mouse, and external monitor), so that I have the option of using it as a portable, and I find it easier to repurpose an old one as it is in a convenient all in one package, and I like the built in UPS. And I've actually toyed with the idea of a 'hybrid', but never got too far beyond initial planning stages. If I get more serious, I'll start a new thread, but something along these lines:

A) I don't really need a lot of power (not a gamer), but do need at least 16GB as I keep lots of things open at once (just my personal way of doing things).

B) But I don't like the 'locked in' nature of laptops. Generally, to get the memory I want, everything else gets upgraded (graphics, CPU, etc), those draw more power, so it needs a larger battery, heat sinks, etc, and the cost goes way up.

So I was thinking about a barebones small format box (mini-mac/mini-PC style, and could be w/o OS, as I'll install Linux), two monitors (at least one with a DC power input), and my existing full keyboard and mouse. And some sort of power brick/UPS so that I could take it portable (with one monitor, and optionally a smaller keyboard).

Th 'gotcha' with many power bricks/UPS is that they won't charge and supply power at the same time, so a power glitch could reset the computer while they switch. You need to look for one with (I think it's called) 'pass-through' power. But I think I could design a simple workaround if needed.

There are also some small. light, portable monitors for < $100, I might use one of those for portable/repurpose mode, and then have two larger monitors for my 'desktop' use.

Assuming the monitors and UPS outlive the useful life of the computer box, updating at that time should be cheaper than replacing the entire laptop.

Not sure it's worth it, unless I decide this is also a 'fun' project. I probably won't do too much research until I get closer to replacing my current 'main machine' laptop/desktop, as things will change over the next few years.

-ERD50

Th 'gotcha' with many power bricks/UPS is that they won't charge and supply power at the same time, so a power glitch could reset the computer while they switch. You need to look for one with (I think it's called) 'pass-through' power. But I think I could design a simple workaround if needed.
At work, the only time I saw the UPS protected computers reset or lose power during the regular power outages and glitches was when the UPS battery needed replaced, runtime power was exhausted due to power being off for too long, or the UPS was defective. We just used low cost APC UPS's on desktop computers.

Last edited:
At work, the only time I saw the UPS protected computers reset or lose power during the regular power outages and glitches was when the UPS battery needed replaced, runtime power was exhausted due to power being off for too long, or the UPS was defective. We just used low cost APC UPS's on desktop computers.

Yes, but the standard style UPS is not really optimum for a portable set up.

Those include an inverter to convert the battery DC to 120V/60Hz AC. The mini-PC and most monitors (at least the ones I have), run on DC (they use external DC supplies that plug into the AC for 'regular' use).

That extra inverter adds weight and losses that will reduce the time you get out of the battery, and costs. It needs to provide both a plus 170V rail and a negative 170V rail to be able to provide a 120V RMS output. That all adds up, compared to (maybe) needing an added DC-DC converter to get to the operating voltage of the mini-PC and monitor.

-ERD50

Late to the party but I am not quite retired. I have a desktop with dual monitors at w*rk. There are some things I prefer doing there because the dual monitors makes things much easier. Some of these things I will continue to do after retirement so I can't rule out building a nice desktop setup at home, especially if I pursue some of the hobbies I am considering. I know it's possible to do dual monitors with a laptop but in general desktops offer better ergonomics that might appeal to some people including a larger keyboard, separate numeric pad if you deal with a lot of numbers, etc.

L I have a desktop with dual monitors at w*rk. ...
I know it's possible to do dual monitors with a laptop but in general desktops offer better ergonomics that might appeal to some people including a larger keyboard, separate numeric pad if you deal with a lot of numbers, etc.

So my work setup is a Mac laptop, we had them so we could bring our work environment home every night, so now after work from home I have a cloned setup at home. My laptop drives its own screen, a vertically oriented monitor, and 34" ultrawide primary display. I have an external mouse and a keyboard in both locations. So the work experience is no different from using my tower PC (actually it is, since my work setup has more and larger monitors. :p ). There's really no ergonomic advantage to a desktop over a laptop. Performance, expandability, etc. for cost, yes, but ergonomics no.

There's really no ergonomic advantage to a desktop over a laptop. Performance, expandability, etc. for cost, yes, but ergonomics no.
That's not standard laptop use when you go connecting monitors, mouse, external keyboards to it. You're essentially using it like a desktop at that point, which you connect those things to as a standard. Anyway, I prefer a desktop, which I leave on 24/7.

#4 Get an app to save those tabs in case the pc shuts down. It has helped me on a few occasions when Firefox forgets under History to restore them.

Tab Session Manager
Save and restore the state of windows and tabs. It also supports automatic saving.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-session-manager/

I have 4 laptop computers that I rarely use.

I have 2 desktop computers that I use very often.

I built both desktop computers from personally selected parts.

One desktop home theater PC with tv tuner cards in it that I use often.
One desktop primary PC which is my main computer running Windows 10.

I much prefer using the desktop computer with the large monitors attached, the regular mouse, regular full sized keyboard, able to install my choice of graphics cards, overclock with higher powered processor, quickly change drives or add more drives, add other interface cards.

I leave it up and running constantly with various apps running and about 100 tabs open in Firefox. A laptop just wouldn't do the job for me. No way would I substitute with a laptop. Also, this way I don't have to worry about lithium ion battery fires by having a laptop plugged in all the time, either.

I've got about $1200 wrapped up in those laptops and upgrades. One is a smaller older ultraportable that's pretty slow, but the other 3 are much more usable, and two of them I bought from work for $25 ea. But I simply much prefer using my desktop.

#4 Firefox> click the 3 lines in upper right> click Settings
General> check box: Open previous windows and tabs

I edit photos on a desktop machine with a 27 in. monitor. Find me that in a laptop.

Not a heavy user, now that I am retired. Laptop does it for me. About a year ago, DW and my laptops had monitor issues. Spent way too much time diagnosing. Nothing worked. Bought new laptops, then I had a vision: the failure was due to a hardware issue with the graphics adapter. Sure enough, I bought one of those $20 external graphics cards. Works like a charm, but this solution is only useful in a desktop environment. I now have the old laptop hooked up to a mega-monitor at a desk.

This is one example where a desktop would have been cheaper. Yes, I know that one could purchase a replacement adapter and solder it to the motherboard. But not me.

I edit photos on a desktop machine with a 27 in. monitor. Find me that in a laptop.
Ditto, same size monitor and in a comfortable desk at the side of the kitchen where I am in the thick of things. Here is the astrophoto I was touching up this morning. I could do it on a laptop, but why?

Attachments

• Rho Ophiuchi_DarkerLessStars_litePrint_GHS2_PSColPop.jpg
    Rho Ophiuchi_DarkerLessStars_litePrint_GHS2_PSColPop.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 7

At home my laptop is connected to an excellent 27" monitor, and a Bluetooth full size keyboard and mouse, and I know there are a number of others here who do the same. Then it takes only a second to unplug it and take it with me.

At home my laptop is connected to an excellent 27" monitor, and a Bluetooth full size keyboard and mouse, and I know there are a number of others here who do the same. Then it takes only a second to unplug it and take it with me.

Same. I rarely take my laptop with me, but still enjoy the convenience of using it around the house.

Same. I rarely take my laptop with me, but still enjoy the convenience of using it around the house.

This really is the way forward. Laptop docks are very affordable now. The laptops themselves can be ordered with powerful graphics cards for video editing or gaming. The cons that I have seen are repair/upgradeability, heat, and noise.

My current laptop when gaming and all settings cranked has a large amount of fan noise due to the need to remove so much heat in a hurry. Smaller components in a small form factor make a lot of heat. However with the system set to silent and it throttling the processor in favor of lower fan noise the computer is inaudible.

Given the Pros and Cons I would rather have the option of taking the machine anywhere in the house or on vacation and also docking it when needed to have access to multiple monitors and a proper work area.

Back
Top Bottom