State License Requirements for Businesses

jimnjana

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Helping my BIL establish a new business in state of MD. He will be providing management services to REITS and property owners of Retail Buildings. His business is licensed in the State of MD just wondering if there was one source for find licensing requirements in states he will be doing business in. I know I can go to the SBA and link to each state and research, just wondering if there is a singe source.

Looks like this will become a part-time gig for me at first, so I may be leaving the ER ranks.

What sort of management services are you referring to? If this is purely administrative type services (eg accounting, etc), I am not sure any licensing is required.

What sort of management services are you referring to? If this is purely administrative type services (eg accounting, etc), I am not sure any licensing is required.

providing services to property owners and property managers. from managing the property to subcontracting all facets of operations and maintenance. For example, one contract he is considering is quarterly water meter reading for about 300 meters in a tri state area.

I own a business in MD. All you need for MD is your tax id number, and a business/traders license that he can get at his local county courthouse.

If he has employees living and working say in VA, he'll have to set up employment taxes in that state with a payroll service, or do it himself.

I doubt he needs a specific meter reading license.

Good luck, and don't feel like you are leaving the ER ranks if you want to take a part time job. You wouldn't be the first. :)

I don't know a thing about license requirements in MD, but you are smart to look into it. In Louisiana, even florists are required to have licenses. This license requirement for florists is actually enforced, I suppose as a means of occupational birth control? I have no idea.

Suit grows out of florists law - USATODAY.com

This license requirement for florists is actually enforced, I suppose as a means of occupational birth control?

You mean if they don't have a license they are deflowered?
:hide:

I own a business in MD. All you need for MD is your tax id number, and a business/traders license that he can get at his local county courthouse.

If he has employees living and working say in VA, he'll have to set up employment taxes in that state with a payroll service, or do it himself.

I doubt he needs a specific meter reading license.

Thanks. We talked to his accountant yesterday. Found out about the Personal Property Tax Return he will have to file in Md on behalf of business. $300 is more than his "business equipment" cost. Licensing may be a non issue in other states, just want to be sure he knows the requirements as his business expands.

Good luck, and don't feel like you are leaving the ER ranks if you want to take a part time job. You wouldn't be the first. :)

I don't know a thing about license requirements in MD, but you are smart to look into it. In Louisiana, even florists are required to have licenses. This license requirement for florists is actually enforced, I suppose as a means of occupational birth control? I have no idea.

Suit grows out of florists law - USATODAY.com

Helping BIL is one way I can make sure my DS never has to move in with me...

Back
Top Bottom