Strange Movie Thread

+1. All time classic weird.

No problem. I've watched it 3 times. Once by myself, and then a couple times to show it to friends with equally weird taste in movies. I like it.

All I can say is....:eek:. lol I've convinced a couple of friends to watch Bubba, but neither has thanked me for it...:LOL: Personally, I found it weird yet for some reason I had to watch it all the way through!

Not "strange" in the way some of the aforementioned movies are, but quirky and hard to describe to people who have never seen it: The Gods Must be Crazy.

Probably my all time favorite movie. Very sweet. :angel:

Two of my favorites that haven't been mentioned so far are "Mulholland Dr." and "Eyes Wide Shut". For David Lynch fans, "Mulholland" is a must-see and can actually be figured out on some level with some creative thinking and repeat viewings. EWS is, in my opinion, an underrated masterpiece that isn't so much "strange" as it is dream-like and surreal. The depiction of the secret society / masked orgy is one of the most bizarre scenes in recent cinema.

I do love "Brazil." Interestingly - the air conditioning repair scene, like the 7 1/2 floor scene in BJM, manages to capture (by wildly exaggerating) something about real life. Repair people show up, make things worse, and leave promising to come back later.

Any Monty Python movie.
A.
Agree. Brazil's good. It isn't as goofy as Monty Python, but carries some of the genes since it is a Gillium movie.

Two of my favorites that haven't been mentioned so far are "Mulholland Dr." and "Eyes Wide Shut". For David Lynch fans, "Mulholland" is a must-see and can actually be figured out on some level with some creative thinking and repeat viewings. EWS is, in my opinion, an underrated masterpiece that isn't so much "strange" as it is dream-like and surreal. The depiction of the secret society / masked orgy is one of the most bizarre scenes in recent cinema.
I could go on and on about Lynch and Kubrick. I'll take Mulholland over EWS. Both have more nudity than necessary, but I guess they both became dirty old men. The backwards chanting priest music in the weird circle scene in EWS is fascinating. Kubrick is genius at putting music to scenes in movies. The absolute best at it. The backwards chanting just sends some sort of disturbing reflexes through your system. It doesn't even sound backwards, that's what is so weird about it. (It is backwards Romanian chanting, just sounds like a very foreign language.)

Last edited:
."Repo Man". Still one of my favorite films ever. Not to be confused with the totally unrelated "Repo Men".

Repo Man is on tonight on the Indie channel.

Simon Pegg is in some interesting funny movies. And Ricky Gervaise's Invention of Lying is thought provoking imo.

I loved BJM the first time and have loved it ever since. The 7 1/2 floor just cracks me up. I see it as a metaphor for all uncomfortable workspaces where everyone just "sucks it up and acts like this is actually normal."

Plus the acting is great.

I also liked "Blue Velvet." But I disliked "Melancholia," which you'd think I would have liked, given its extreme strangeness. I think it was the woman-raping-the-man scene that did it in for me.

Amethyst
I also loved BJM and liked "Blue Velvet", too. And I did not like "Melancholia" at all.

My favorite movie that everyone else thinks is odd is 'Brazil', by Terry Gilliam, the king of odd movies.
I liked "Brazil" a lot. I loved the recurring image of an otherwise advanced society which hadn't quite mastered duct work. Sadly, real terrorist bombs going off throughout civil society around the world these days are reminiscent of "Brazil", too.

I was always hoping to get some of that "Food" in a can and try it out. :LOL:
I loved the recurring "generic" sight gag in "Repo Man". There was a great scene where the son is eating generic "Food" out of a can, and his mother tells him: "Put it on a plate, son. You'll enjoy it more."

Last edited:
Another outstanding but unusual film is "American Splendor" which fuses fiction, reality, and even some animation. Paul Giamatti plays Harvey Pekar, but Pekar himself also appears. The same for Hope Davis who plays Joyce Brabner.

There was a great scene where the son is eating generic "Food" out of a can, and his mother tells him: "Put it on a plate, son. You'll enjoy it more."

As I recall it wasn't just a movie prop. Back in the early 80's there was a whole line of generic products in black&white packaging. I remember buying them in college.

History's Dumpster: Generic Products of The '80s

Back
Top Bottom