Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Recommend 'A Boy and His Dog'. I love the ending and the choice the Boy makes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Recommend 'A Boy and His Dog'. I love the ending and the choice the Boy makes.
A dog movie. Probably on the Disney channel. NOT (although I thought so when I went to see it).
It definitely belongs in this thread. Don Johnson makes his acting debut in this movie.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I recently viewed a movie on TV that I had seen years ago. When I saw Being John Malkovich years ago I thought it was a boring flick. When I saw it again yesterday (think it was on Sundance Chanel) I thought that it was a strange yet brilliant piece of film making.

Am I getting artsy in my old age, or am I just getting around to seeing things in a different light?

Being John Malkovich (1999) - Plot Summary
I guess I classify movies like this as "cerebral" and I like them.
To be "strange" for me, they must also be disturbing.

My candidate film for this is Day of the Locust. Disturbing on more than one level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day...e_Locust_(film)
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #24

+3 for "Eraserhead". Simply the weirdest I've ever seen.
+2 for "Blue Velvet" (another Lynch movie), but it is much more accessible than Eraserhead.

"Menancholia" is OK for recent vintage. I found it a bit lazy. And I don't even remember the scene Amethyst talks of. Perhaps because I'm male.

"Memento" is great. So many ways to watch that movie.

For rated G entertainment, watch "2001: A Space Oddity". Or, heck, anything from Kubrick. "Clockwork Orange" (very hard "R" rated) can be very unsettling, but the story is actually pretty straightforward, once you figure out the dialect. The psychedelia of it all is groovy beyond belief.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do love "Brazil." Interestingly - the air conditioning repair scene, like the 7 1/2 floor scene in BJM, manages to capture (by wildly exaggerating) something about real life. Repair people show up, make things worse, and leave promising to come back later.

Any Monty Python movie.

"Howl's Moving Castle." Stranger and more beautiful than any animated movie I have ever seen.

A.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
+1. All time classic weird.

No problem. I've watched it 3 times. Once by myself, and then a couple times to show it to friends with equally weird taste in movies. I like it.
All I can say is..... lol I've convinced a couple of friends to watch Bubba, but neither has thanked me for it... Personally, I found it weird yet for some reason I had to watch it all the way through!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Not "strange" in the way some of the aforementioned movies are, but quirky and hard to describe to people who have never seen it: The Gods Must be Crazy.

Probably my all time favorite movie. Very sweet.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two of my favorites that haven't been mentioned so far are "Mulholland Dr." and "Eyes Wide Shut". For David Lynch fans, "Mulholland" is a must-see and can actually be figured out on some level with some creative thinking and repeat viewings. EWS is, in my opinion, an underrated masterpiece that isn't so much "strange" as it is dream-like and surreal. The depiction of the secret society / masked orgy is one of the most bizarre scenes in recent cinema.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I do love "Brazil." Interestingly - the air conditioning repair scene, like the 7 1/2 floor scene in BJM, manages to capture (by wildly exaggerating) something about real life. Repair people show up, make things worse, and leave promising to come back later.

Any Monty Python movie.
A.
Agree. Brazil's good. It isn't as goofy as Monty Python, but carries some of the genes since it is a Gillium movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Two of my favorites that haven't been mentioned so far are "Mulholland Dr." and "Eyes Wide Shut". For David Lynch fans, "Mulholland" is a must-see and can actually be figured out on some level with some creative thinking and repeat viewings. EWS is, in my opinion, an underrated masterpiece that isn't so much "strange" as it is dream-like and surreal. The depiction of the secret society / masked orgy is one of the most bizarre scenes in recent cinema.
I could go on and on about Lynch and Kubrick. I'll take Mulholland over EWS. Both have more nudity than necessary, but I guess they both became dirty old men. The backwards chanting priest music in the weird circle scene in EWS is fascinating. Kubrick is genius at putting music to scenes in movies. The absolute best at it. The backwards chanting just sends some sort of disturbing reflexes through your system. It doesn't even sound backwards, that's what is so weird about it. (It is backwards Romanian chanting, just sounds like a very foreign language.)
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
."Repo Man". Still one of my favorite films ever. Not to be confused with the totally unrelated "Repo Men".
Repo Man is on tonight on the Indie channel.

Simon Pegg is in some interesting funny movies. And Ricky Gervaise's Invention of Lying is thought provoking imo.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Strange? How about Korean revenge movie "Oldboy?"
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Repo Man is on tonight on the Indie channel.
I was always hoping to get some of that "Food" in a can and try it out.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I loved BJM the first time and have loved it ever since. The 7 1/2 floor just cracks me up. I see it as a metaphor for all uncomfortable workspaces where everyone just "sucks it up and acts like this is actually normal."

Plus the acting is great.

I also liked "Blue Velvet." But I disliked "Melancholia," which you'd think I would have liked, given its extreme strangeness. I think it was the woman-raping-the-man scene that did it in for me.

Amethyst
I also loved BJM and liked "Blue Velvet", too. And I did not like "Melancholia" at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
My favorite movie that everyone else thinks is odd is 'Brazil', by Terry Gilliam, the king of odd movies.
I liked "Brazil" a lot. I loved the recurring image of an otherwise advanced society which hadn't quite mastered duct work. Sadly, real terrorist bombs going off throughout civil society around the world these days are reminiscent of "Brazil", too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I was always hoping to get some of that "Food" in a can and try it out.
I loved the recurring "generic" sight gag in "Repo Man". There was a great scene where the son is eating generic "Food" out of a can, and his mother tells him: "Put it on a plate, son. You'll enjoy it more."
Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Another outstanding but unusual film is "American Splendor" which fuses fiction, reality, and even some animation. Paul Giamatti plays Harvey Pekar, but Pekar himself also appears. The same for Hope Davis who plays Joyce Brabner.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
There was a great scene where the son is eating generic "Food" out of a can, and his mother tells him: "Put it on a plate, son. You'll enjoy it more."
As I recall it wasn't just a movie prop. Back in the early 80's there was a whole line of generic products in black&white packaging. I remember buying them in college.

History's Dumpster: Generic Products of The '80s
Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
As I recall it wasn't just a movie prop. Back in the early 80's there was a whole line of generic products in black&white packaging. I remember buying them in college.

History's Dumpster: Generic Products of The '80s
True, but "Repo Man" took it even further. The generic products in the film became more and more broad, until finally, there was a can simply labeled "Food". Here's audio:
Put It on a Plate, Son. You'll Enjoy It More Sound Clip and Quote - Hark