Strange Movie Thread

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I recently viewed a movie on TV that I had seen years ago. When I saw Being John Malkovich years ago I thought it was a boring flick. When I saw it again yesterday (think it was on Sundance Chanel) I thought that it was a strange yet brilliant piece of film making.

Am I getting artsy in my old age, or am I just getting around to seeing things in a different light?

Puppeteer Craig Schwartz and animal lover and pet store clerk Lotte Schwartz are just going through the motions of their marriage. Despite not being able to earn a living solely through puppeteering, Craig loves his profession as it allows him to inhabit the skin of others. He begins to take the ability to inhabit the skin of others to the next level when he is forced to take a job as a file clerk for the off-kilter LesterCorp, located on the five-foot tall 7½ floor of a Manhattan office building. Behind one of the filing cabinets in his work area, Craig finds a hidden door which he learns is a portal into the mind of John Malkovich, the visit through the portal which lasts fifteen minutes after which the person is spit into a ditch next to the New Jersey Turnpike. Craig is fascinated by the meaning of life associated with this finding. Lotte's trips through the portal make her evaluate her own self. And the confident Maxine Lund, one of Craig's co-workers who he tells about the portal if only because he is attracted to her, thinks that it is a money making opportunity in selling trips into Malkovich's mind after office hours for $200 a visit. Craig, Lotte and Maxine begin to understand that anyone entering the portal has the ability to control Malkovich's mind, which also alters his entire being. This experience makes Maxine fall in love with a composite. This ability to control Malkovich's mind begs the question of the ultimate psychedelic trip for Malkovich himself, who begins to feel that something is not right in the world as he knows it. Written by Huggo

Being John Malkovich (1999) - Plot Summary

I recently viewed a movie on TV that I had seen years ago. When I saw Being John Malkovich years ago I thought it was a boring flick. When I saw it again yesterday (think it was on Sundance Chanel) I thought that it was a strange yet brilliant piece of film making.

Am I getting artsy in my old age, or am I just getting around to seeing things in a different light?

i've seen this movie. it was strange years ago-still strange:D

I liked this movie. It kept me guessing, was well produced, written, and acted, and had some interesting concepts in it.

I loved BJM the first time and have loved it ever since. The 7 1/2 floor just cracks me up. I see it as a metaphor for all uncomfortable workspaces where everyone just "sucks it up and acts like this is actually normal."

Plus the acting is great.

I also liked "Blue Velvet." But I disliked "Melancholia," which you'd think I would have liked, given its extreme strangeness. I think it was the woman-raping-the-man scene that did it in for me.

Amethyst

A couple of movies come to mind in the "strange" category.

Last year's Seven Psychopaths is one. It was full of surprises and twists, with some good acting, but it didn't leave me satisfied.

The other, which I have watched several times, is Memento. Recommended.

From Wikipedia:
Memento is a 2000 American neo-noir psychological thriller film written and directed by Christopher Nolan...

It stars Guy Pearce as Leonard Shelby, a man with anterograde amnesia, which impairs his ability to store new explicit memories, who has developed a system for recollection using hand-written notes, tattoos, and Polaroid photos.

Memento premiered on September 5, 2000...Critics especially praised its unique, nonlinear narrative structure and motifs of memory, perception, grief, self-deception, and revenge. The film was successful at the box office and received numerous accolades, including Academy Award nominations for Original Screenplay and Film Editing.
Don't study this too closely if you plan to watch it, but the "stangeness" (and brilliance) of the film is the non-linear storytelling
800px-Memento_Timeline.png

"Killer Clowns From Outer Space" - Classic B movie.

As for odd, the unfortunate box office flop of Terry Gilliam's masterpiece "The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen" in no way detracts from the film, IMO.

"Killer Clowns From Outer Space" - Classic B movie.

As for odd, the unfortunate box office flop of Terry Gilliam's masterpiece "The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen" in no way detracts from the film, IMO.

i have seen Munchausen-good movie

."Repo Man". Still one of my favorite films ever. Not to be confused with the totally unrelated "Repo Men".

I also liked "Blue Velvet." But I disliked "Melancholia," which you'd think I would have liked, given its extreme strangeness. I think it was the woman-raping-the-man scene that did it in for me.

Amethyst

Melancholia reminded me so much of the old Ingmar Bergman style, and it was
produced in Northern Europe. That said, I never cared for Ingmar Bergman style.

My favorite movie that everyone else thinks is odd is 'Brazil', by Terry Gilliam, the king of odd movies.

I love a lot of these bizarre movies but often wonder about how "brilliant" they are. I always figure that I am smart enough that I can't figure out what they mean most of the reviewers can't either. Half the time I think they are just projecting their own issues onto the screen they are viewing.

I liked "repo man" also

Fantastic Planet was a strange scifi, Altered States , A clockwork Orange, Johnny got his gun, Yellow Submarine

This isn't the strangest by most measures but is still a movie that I always think about. In fact, for a while in my 20s I would even dream about it once a year or so and I've only seen the thing twice in my life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wages_of_Fear_(film)

A strange French film where some men are in a horrible dusty little S. American town and the only work and way out is to truck some unstable dynamite over the mountains for an oil company.

Some sort of subconscious recognition about w*rk being dangerous to my health ? ha

."Repo Man". Still one of my favorite films ever. Not to be confused with the totally unrelated "Repo Men".

+1. All time classic weird.

Bubba Ho-Tep. I dare anybody to watch it all the way through...lol.

No problem. I've watched it 3 times. Once by myself, and then a couple times to show it to friends with equally weird taste in movies. I like it.

My most recent weirdest movie is Sushi Girl (Sushi Girl (2012) - IMDb), featuring the triumphant return to live (non-voice) acting for Mark Hammill. I can't say I recommend it to mainstream movie watchers, but this IS a thread for strange movies. And this one definitely qualifies.

Recommend 'A Boy and His Dog'. I love the ending and the choice the Boy makes.

Recommend 'A Boy and His Dog'. I love the ending and the choice the Boy makes.

A dog movie. Probably on the Disney channel. NOT (although I thought so when I went to see it).
It definitely belongs in this thread. Don Johnson makes his acting debut in this movie.

I guess I classify movies like this as "cerebral" and I like them.
To be "strange" for me, they must also be disturbing.

My candidate film for this is Day of the Locust. Disturbing on more than one level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Locust_(film)

+3 for "Eraserhead". Simply the weirdest I've ever seen.
+2 for "Blue Velvet" (another Lynch movie), but it is much more accessible than Eraserhead.

"Menancholia" is OK for recent vintage. I found it a bit lazy. And I don't even remember the scene Amethyst talks of. Perhaps because I'm male.

"Memento" is great. So many ways to watch that movie.

For rated G entertainment, watch "2001: A Space Oddity". Or, heck, anything from Kubrick. "Clockwork Orange" (very hard "R" rated) can be very unsettling, but the story is actually pretty straightforward, once you figure out the dialect. The psychedelia of it all is groovy beyond belief.

I do love "Brazil." Interestingly - the air conditioning repair scene, like the 7 1/2 floor scene in BJM, manages to capture (by wildly exaggerating) something about real life. Repair people show up, make things worse, and leave promising to come back later.

Any Monty Python movie.

"Howl's Moving Castle." Stranger and more beautiful than any animated movie I have ever seen.

A.

Back
Top Bottom