Surfer's myelopathy

A somewhat similar cndition on a smaller scale is "wrist drop" where someone comes in, usually the ER, and cannot feel the hand nor has any motor control beyond the wrist. The condition usually has a history of the person "pasing out" often due to alcohol with thier weight on the wrist bent inward. Because of the lack of proper blood supply to the nerves supplying the hand there is a "usually" temporary neurolpathy with no sensation or motor control.

It is usually very scary to the patient but with rest, time, and sometimes a steroid the sensation slowly returns along with motor control over the next days to weeks. I have seen this a number of times

Sailaway

First I've heard of it. Can't imagine it being much of a real risk. Most people don't spend that much time in that posture, I would think. Seems like a couple of Judo koshi nage throws would snap you back into shape.

I've had similar problems on dry land at a couple of boardwalks in Santa Cruz and near Los Angeles. Near paralysis and very sore neck from whipping my head around. Not sure why...

I've had similar problems on dry land at a couple of boardwalks in Santa Cruz and near Los Angeles.  Near paralysis and very sore neck from whipping my head around.  Not sure why...

Don't worry you've now got the regulatory mechanism to cure this debilitating problem. If you don't stop you'll likely suffer worse afflictions. :D

Oh its not a problem any longer. Since I met my wife I very rarely even notice any other women anywhere.

After all, she IS a goddess.

Sorry GDER...I'm having trouble making out your posts...let me put on my bigger glasses... :p

Re: the instant thong...the problem with that is WHAT again? :confused: :)

Mmmmm... Santa Cruz... wish I'd discovered that before I was at Monterey. Or perhaps married.

"Surfing in just a bikini - no rash guard, no board shorts - is one of the best feelings known to woman.  But there's a reason you don't see every surfer girl out there in a triangle top and bottom... If your butt hits the wave, you get an instant thong." ::)
OUCH-- there's a reason it's called a "rash guard".

Maybe I shouldn't let this word spread-- the women at my favorite beach have already solved this problem by surfing in thongs.

"But" (so to speak) I won't make fun of the situation until I can surf my own ass off. It does bring a whole new meaning to the term "surfing backside". Not that I'm making fun of the situation.

So to answer your question, Ronin, the surfing has been GREAT although I've noticed lately that the waves have sucked. No improvements until early April at best. Does NOAA or NWS do a surf forecast in your area?

Actually Capitola (next town south) is much better than Santa Cruz.

(shhhhh...dont tell anyone)

Re: Ghost Tree

Nords, check out these mackers.  Justen "Jughead" Allport's foot failed to release from its strap during a wipeout.  Twisting of the board broke his leg in 4 places.  Yikes.  Curry said, "Bad only happens if you get hurt."  DUH!!  
Ye gods. I have a few surfing rules.  I don't paddle out if:
- the wave is higher than the helicopter.
- the lineup is wearing helmets.
- the paramedics look tired.
- the helicopter has a shark shooter on board.

I know "Eddie Would Tow", but will these guys have their final ride's Quicktime video looping on their headstones?

You know it's gonna be bad if:

* you're putting on more than 4 testosterone patches before paddling out

* the worst part of paddling out is finding that you made it... now what?

* guys start using skyscrapers as size comparisons

* the gasps from shore are loud enough to hear, and it's coming from a group of seals!

* they are using the term "tombstoning" to describe your board

* drowning seems like your best option

They said it happens to neophytes because they're not used to it, but that's not why.

More experienced surfers do not lie on board, craning their necks to look back. They sit on the board facing out to sea. When a good wave is coming they quickly pivot, and only look side to side to see what's happening.

Back
Top Bottom