T-Mobile One Unlimited 55+

Are you sure?

Looks like tethering is in 3G unless you pay $10 more for the One Plus package.

Looks like tethering speed depends on the T-Mobile plan selected. The fine print on the 55+ plan says tethering is at 3G max. Some plans start with 4G tethering speeds limited to 10GB, then slow to 3G.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-31900

All T-Mobile One plans have a default tethering speed at 3G. It's not specific to only the 55+ plan. To get a higher speed, you need to add the T-Mobile One Plus package. As you mentioned, that gives you 4G tethering up to 10GB in addition to other benefits such as higher speed international data and unlimited GoGo in-flight WiFi.

All T-Mobile One plans have a default tethering speed at 3G. It's not specific to only the 55+ plan. To get a higher speed, you need to add the T-Mobile One Plus package. As you mentioned, that gives you 4G tethering up to 10GB in addition to other benefits such as higher speed international data and unlimited GoGo in-flight WiFi.
When we signed up for our T-mobile One the 4G tethering up to 10G was included as a bonus "ONE Plus Promo". I'm loathe to give that up - it definitely comes in handy at times when other things have gone to heck.
ONE Plus Promo
Free
Now, activate HD video streaming and 10GB of high-speed Mobile Hotspot data for no extra charge. You will also get unlimited data in 140+ global destinations at twice the speed (up to 256kbps), included free. T-Mobile ONE includes unlimited talk, unlimited text & unlimited data.

Last edited:
When we signed up for our T-mobile One the 4G tethering up to 10G was included as a bonus "ONE Plus Promo". I'm loathe to give that up - it definitely comes in handy at times when other things have gone to heck.

Hi - If you read far enough in this article, it talks about getting the same thing on the 55+ plan by adding $10 per month for any line for which you need that feature. Always good to do your own research though.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/t-mobile-introduces-one-unlimited-55/

That's a nice deal. One thing I've noticed with T-Mobile is that they have teaser offers to encourage new sign-ups. As they get more customers, they tend to increase the rate. I signed up when the plus package was $5/month and shortly after they upped it to $10/month. I'm not sure I'd pay $10/month for the plus package, but I seem to recall that you can selectively enable/disable the plus package, so maybe that is an option?

In your case, even if you paid $10/month for one of the lines, don't you come out ahead?

That's a nice deal. One thing I've noticed with T-Mobile is that they have teaser offers to encourage new sign-ups. As they get more customers, they tend to increase the rate. I signed up when the plus package was $5/month and shortly after they upped it to $10/month. I'm not sure I'd pay $10/month for the plus package, but I seem to recall that you can selectively enable/disable the plus package, so maybe that is an option?

In your case, even if you paid $10/month for one of the lines, don't you come out ahead?

Fortunately those deals are available to existing customers too. The two recent times we've changed our plan we've gotten enhanced features as a bonus.

I can't easily predict when we'll need high speed tethering. More so when we travel, but sometimes the internet goes down at the house and it's nice to have a back-up.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. I was on a T-mobile 2-line unlimited account for wife and I and was paying $110 a month, after a visit to a T-Mobile store today, my bill is now $60 for the same unlimited service!! T-Mobile has pretty good service in my area (northern Atlanta suburbs), and like others, I use the Wifi calling feature.

Thanks, you saved me $600 a year!

This T-Mobile deal is only for 2 lines. We learned that at Costco when inquiring to sign up.

We have two people over 55 in our household... and 2 under. So we'll get 2 plans - One with DH and older son, one with me and younger son.

The FAQ on the website says only the primary account holder has to be over 55.

I thought both users must be 55+. I could be wrong.

I have not signed up yet, because we still had a week till the end of billing cycle with the existing carrier.

PS. I was at T-Mobile Web site earlier, and did not see any info on this plan. So, I will go look again out of curiosity.

PPS. Yes, you are right. Your sons will be happily surfin'. :)

Last edited:
Apparently the stores are charging $25 per SIM card as activation for this new account.

The thing about tethering is that I can't even get near the 3 GB allotment that I have unless I tether.

The problem with tethering a laptop is that Web sites load an obscene amount of garbage onto a laptop, in comparison to the info they load on a smartphone.

I once used 2GB in a matter of a few hours, by tethering my laptop to look up bloomberg.com and finance.yahoo.com for market news and info. Thoroughly disgusting!

Fortunately those deals are available to existing customers too. The two recent times we've changed our plan we've gotten enhanced features as a bonus.

Unfortunately (for us) that's not always the case. T-Mobile had a deal where you could get four lines at a cheaper rate but it was only good for new customers. That would have saved us $20/month. I was thinking of how to work it (transfer numbers in/out of T-Mobile), but it would have been a hassle.

The problem with tethering a laptop is that Web sites load an obscene amount of garbage onto a laptop, in comparison to the info they load on a smartphone.

I once used 2GB in a matter of a few hours, by tethering my laptop to look up bloomberg.com and finance.yahoo.com for market news and info. Thoroughly disgusting!

Wow - I've never used that much that quickly without running large videos.

Not a 3 GB allotment, tethering is limited to 3G speeds.

No my Simple Choice plan includes 3 GB of data per month.

But it has full LTE speeds for tethering and I have tethered my laptop to it.

I have also tethered with SIMs in other countries and either streamed video or let my laptop download apps and podcast updates and chewed through some data.

Otherwise, some browsing isn't too bad. I use ad blockers so most sites aren't too bad unless they have auto-play videos that I don't stop.

Wow - I've never used that much that quickly without running large videos.
I was not paying attention, and these godawful Web sites play videos in the background or in a corner of the screen without me noticing.

At home, I turned off the audio on the laptop so as not getting startled by the videos suddenly started playing, and forgot about that when I was out and about and tethering to my phone. And when I was busy read the articles on their sites and not knowing about these idiotic videos, that's when the GB's started to run up.

Yes, bloomberg.com and finance.yahoo.com are two of the disgusting Web sites. Now, they do not charge me anything, nor force me to visit their site, so I just grit my teeth and swear under my breath. But this NW-Bound never forgets about their misdeeds. :mad:

Last edited:
I thought both users must be 55+. I could be wrong.

PS. I was at T-Mobile Web site earlier, and did not see any info on this plan. So, I will go look again out of curiosity.

Only one needs to be 55+. We signed up for this on Saturday and they only asked for one ID, though both DH and I are 55+.

Here's the link to the plan on T Mobile's website: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-one-unlimited-55.

We switched from a US Cellular prepaid plan (without smartphones), for which we were paying the same $60/month.

Ok. We made our first attempt to sign up.

The good:
- confirmed it doesn't throttle till 30G.... Per user. (That last bit is important to me.... My kids' YouTube watching won't leave me hanging.)
- confirmed only one person needs to be over 55
- confirmed the $60 is all in.... Taxes, fees, etc are included in that $60.

The bad:
- the two employees already had customers. Customers that seemed to take a long time. A very long time.... We waited an hour till we were helped.
- I didn't realize you need to unlock your credit to switch phone carriers. (I froze all three credit reports a while back.) Apparently you do.... And I didn't have my PIN with me. That was problem #1.
- you also need a pin to Port your number from another carrier.

So today I went through the process of unlocking credit. (Needed to do this since we're in the market for a new car and if the financing deal is good we'll finance it.)

For ting users you can get the pins under your account status.... Bottom of the page of the second account page.

We'll try again next week.

Back
Top Bottom