T-Mobile Coverage in Rural Areas

... We usually use Google Maps on our phones for travel and we are concerned that we will have spotty coverage whilst navigating. ...
Actually, there is quite a good solution to that problem and it does not require having a separate GPS. We use this app: https://copilotgps.com/. All the maps are downloaded and resident on your phone or tablet, so you don't need any cell coverage at all in order to navigate. The US and Canada maps easily fit in my phone's and my tablet's memory. They also sell inexpensive maps for many other places around the world; we used their Norway map a couple of years ago with complete success.

There are still some things we like to have cell coverage for, like using Yelp to find nearby restaurants, but we have no navigation anxiety at all with the CoPilot GPS app.

I live in Illinois (not Chicago) and I tried T-mobile 4 years ago. I ended up switching to AT&T after 3 months because their coverage was not good outside of the big city. My sister and BIL moved here from San Jose, CA two years ago with T-Mobile and had to make the switch too. I just don't believe their pink coverage maps. T-Mobile would be my 4th choice if I were planning to travel on the back roads in the USA. I think Verizon is the best choice if your primary criteria is coverage. I would suggest trying to work the best deal you can with Verizon and use WiFi to cut down on your data needs.

Edit to add that I switched to Project Fi in January because of their pricing model for data and international coverage. I was very happy with AT&T, but I use less than 500Mb of data usually, so Project Fi is the clear winner if you don't use much data. It's too soon to tell how the combo of Sprint, T-Mobile, and US Cell will compare to the coverage I had with AT&T. I did learn recently that Project Fi's data only SIMs only use T-Mobile's network :(

Last edited:
Switched from T-Mobile to Cricket (AT&T) for better coverage.

As backup, I also have a pay-by-the-minute phone on a Verizon MVNO.
(currently Page Plus - $10 every 120 days or $80 for 365 days expiry)

We are on Project FI, which uses multiple carriers: Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular. It seems in theory that this should produce better US coverage but we do not travel much in the US so I have no personal experience. We use a minimal amount of data and our bill for two phones totals about $45/month. The phones with unlimited calls and texts are $35 total/month. Some months my data bill (at $10/gig) is under a dollar. IIRC about $7.50/month of the $45 is taxes.

The real attraction for us is that the phones work all over the world/lke 140 countries. Data is $10/gig everywhere and in many of them calls are free. In others there is a nominal charge like a dime or twenty cents per minute. I suppose it depends on what they can negotiate with the local carriers. We usually use AirBnB and it is imperative to have a phone to contact hosts. Previously we had to buy SIM cards for each country; a royal pain.

I'm a Project Fi customer for little over 2 years. Love the pricing model. Works great in metro areas, but leaves a lot to be desired when traveling. I travel from Denver to MO quite a bit, taking I-70 most of the time. For the entire time traveling through Kansas, I have no signal. DW has ATT and she always has a signal. Frustrating that major interstate has such a huge gap in signal coverage.

Why not just bring along a GPS (lower cost Garmin unit maybe) for those few times where coverage is spotty. I've had mine about 10 years and it's still good as roads don't change that often. When you get to your accommodations you'll generally have wifi.

Most of the time T-Mobil is fine for us. They also allow a very modest amount of roaming with other carriers, good for emergencies.

Of course being retro there is always the road atlas or a map. Completely offline. (note if you like most USGS topo maps are downloadable now, and they provide by far the best map. at scales up to 1 inch per mile or more in some cases)

Of course being retro there is always the road atlas or a map. Completely offline. (note if you like most USGS topo maps are downloadable now, and they provide by far the best map. at scales up to 1 inch per mile or more in some cases)

Echoing post #18, it's hard to make an emergency phone call on an atlas or map.

After 25 plus years the spousal unit and I are considering abandoning Verizon for cell phone coverage in favor of T-Mobile's $60.00 a month plan for folks over 55 years old. Our understanding is that this is for unlimited talk, text and data and includes all taxes and fees. It is less than half of what we are currently paying Verizon for a plan with data limits.

Our concern is that we retired last year and we plan to travel more in 2018 and coming years. We usually use Google Maps on our phones for travel and we are concerned that we will have spotty coverage whilst navigating. I do think that once your route is recognized on your phone you are OK but our concern is that getting that route initially recognized might be more problematic with T-Mobile.

Thanks in advance to any T-Mobile customers who would be willing to share your experiences.

We use ultra-mobile with no contracts and you supply your own GSM phone.

The cost is $29 per month ($30 with fees) and includes:

4GB of 4G LTE, Unlimited Data at Lower Speeds
Unlimited Calling to USA & 75+ Intl Destinations
Unlimited Domestic and Global Text
$5.00 Call Anywhere Credit
$5.00 One-Time Intl Rollover Roaming Credit

We use Motorola E3 Phones (GSM Android Phone). Ultra Mobile is owned by T-Mobile and runs on their network. This is the best phone plan we have found for global travelers with unlimited calling to 75 countries worldwide from the US. My wife calls her parents regularly in Switzerland and talks for hours. I couldn't imagine doing that on our old Verizon plan which cost significantly more and did not have international calling included. We have used our phones throughout the USA, Canada, England, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Singapore, Thailand, Japan, and Taiwan so far without any issues. Their roaming charges are the most reasonable anywhere. It costs 25 cents per minute to send and receive calls from outside the US (international roaming) and just 5 cents per text (roaming). We have been using them for over 3 years now and are very happy with the service. I also have an unlocked GSM phone with a SIM card that I picked up in Switzerland from Coop Mobile. We used that phone when we were with Verizon. We don't need it any longer with the Ultra Mobile plan.

I used TMobile for a couple of years and it was horrible. Switched to Pageplus which uses Verizon's nw and have never had a problem. PP just recently updated limited data plans to unlimited. 2GB at 4g speed and any over that at 2g Works for me.

I used TMobile for a couple of years and it was horrible.

Many have made the same sort of comment, but the fact is that in recent years T-Mobile has improved enormously. Those who had a bad experience with it in the past might benefit from looking at it again.

This is highly dependent on *where* you are looking to use the phone. My SIL has T-mobile and it can't be used out on some property that is in rural "flyover" country. My Sprint phone doesn't work there. The *only* service (outside of satellite phone) is AT&T and that's only voice...no data.

Why not just bring along a GPS (lower cost Garmin unit maybe) for those few times where coverage is spotty. I've had mine about 10 years and it's still good as roads don't change that often. When you get to your accommodations you'll generally have wifi. .

You can also download Google maps for when you are offline. No real need for a stand alone GPS these days.

T-Mobile has improved, but still do not provide the coverage VZ has.
Don't believe their marketing maps. Or anyone else's.

This is highly dependent on *where* you are looking to use the phone. My SIL has T-mobile and it can't be used out on some property that is in rural "flyover" country. My Sprint phone doesn't work there. The *only* service (outside of satellite phone) is AT&T and that's only voice...no data.

I assume she doesn’t have internet either?

Many have made the same sort of comment, but the fact is that in recent years T-Mobile has improved enormously. Those who had a bad experience with it in the past might benefit from looking at it again.

Perhaps. Just looked at a coverage map comparison and Verizon still has the best coverage for the area I'm in and travel the most. No reason to change.

The "coverage" maps are optimistic to put it mildly.I live in fly over county & travel a lot camping.
Verizon has the better rural coverage, IMO.
T Mobile is OK if you are in bigger cities or on/ near the Interstates.

Murf

Watch out for mobile hotspot speeds

When moving from a plan with data limits to an "unlimited" plan, make sure you understand that the mobile hotspot speed on the unlimited plan is restricted to 3g speed (Tmobile) or 600kps (Verizon). That is painfully slow if you are used to 4g LTE.

So if you are used to using your phone mobile hotspot for your laptop, tablet, etc., you are probably going to need to go to the unlimited plus plan (gives you 10gb at 4g LTE speed, then goes to 3g after that) - for TMobile 55+ plan, that is fairly reasonable at only $10 more.

When moving from a plan with data limits to an "unlimited" plan, make sure you understand that the mobile hotspot speed on the unlimited plan is restricted to 3g speed (Tmobile) or 600kps (Verizon). That is painfully slow if you are used to 4g LTE.

So if you are used to using your phone mobile hotspot for your laptop, tablet, etc., you are probably going to need to go to the unlimited plus plan (gives you 10gb at 4g LTE speed, then goes to 3g after that) - for TMobile 55+ plan, that is fairly reasonable at only $10 more.

Fortunately we have up to 10G of high speed tethering on our unlimited T-mobile plan. It was a special when we switched to the one choice plan - the “plus” part was included at no charge. We just had to opt in.

I keep investigating the T Mobile 55+ plan. And, I am concerned that some indicate the rural coverage is poor. It does appear they have vastly expanded their network over the past two years. It looks like they expanded using 600mhz and 700mhz bands. Accordingly, you need a compatible phone to pick up these bands. This list shows compatible phones. There are a lot of other phones that will service these bands (See the second link below.). I wonder if this is the reason folks are getting varying degrees of results with T Mobile?

"Our Extended Range LTE signal reaches 2X as far and penetrates walls for 4X better coverage in buildings than before. But to take advantage of it you’ll need a compatible device."

Here is a more extensive list of phones that use the newer T Mobile bands. The list also shows phones compatible with wifi calling.

I keep investigating the T Mobile 55+ plan. And, I am concerned that some indicate the rural coverage is poor. It does appear they have vastly expanded their network over the past two years. It looks like they expanded using 600mhz and 700mhz bands. Accordingly, you need a compatible phone to pick up these bands. This list shows compatible phones. There are a lot of other phones that will service these bands (See the second link below.). I wonder if this is the reason folks are getting varying degrees of results with T Mobile?

"Our Extended Range LTE signal reaches 2X as far and penetrates walls for 4X better coverage in buildings than before. But to take advantage of it you’ll need a compatible device."

Here is a more extensive list of phones that use the newer T Mobile bands. The list also shows phones compatible with wifi calling.

Unless you are driving around in a rural area a lot, rural coverage may not be an issue. We live in an area a bit out of town that has terrible cellphone coverage from ANY provider. WiFi calling solved our problem at home. We are very happy with it.

And you don't have to worry about how well the cell signal penetrates a building.

T-mobile is great. I can’t speak to specific rural areas but I have never had significant coverage issues in the US and since I travel overseas a lot they offer service in over 140 countries I think and it is fantastic to land in some faroff country and have cell service, internet and texting at the ready. And yes they have wifi calling for those rare occasions you may have a weak cell signal.

The "coverage" maps are optimistic to put it mildly.I live in fly over county & travel a lot camping.
Verizon has the better rural coverage, IMO.
T Mobile is OK if you are in bigger cities or on/ near the Interstates.

Murf

I agree a 100%..in our area AT and T or Cricket say we have wonderful reception but no can get any reception from AT and T. Apparently they rent or have some agreement to use the Verizon towers but somehow the reception doesn't get to your phone.. Imagine that!

Back
Top Bottom