tax credit for low-e windows ?

ER_Hopeful

Recycles dryer sheets
I'll be replacing some 60-yrs windows this holiday and am thinking about getting the low-e windows that qualify for tax credit. From what I've read the requirements seem pretty simple, buy/install the windows (SHGC (Solar Heat Gain Coefficient) or less than or equal to .30 ) then when I file my 09 return, I'll get a dollar-to-dollar tax credit equal to 30% of the cost of my new windows, up to $1500(documenting my receipts and everything, of course).

Is it really that simple? seems too simple for gov. work though. Do i need to show installation by contractors or anything else? I'll be diy'ing. any income restrictions? (although doesn't look like it.) hate to find out at the time of filing that there're exceptions that disqualifies me.

thanks.

I don't know -- we're in the same boat with the new roof we put up a couple months ago. We have all the receipts.

One thing to keep in mind is that only the *materials* get a 30% tax credit up to $1500; the labor does not. So if a job costs $5000 and $2000 of it was labor, the tax credit would be 30% of the $3000 for materials, or $900. (A non-issue in your case if you are DIYing.)

Beyond that, I don't much know -- it's going to be claimed on your tax return on IRS Form 5695, which is not finalized last I looked. And I don't see any income restrictions listed. You need to keep the receipts and such for your records in case of audit but they won't have to be included with the tax return.

Here's a link to more details:

Top Ten FAQs : ENERGY STAR

Back
Top Bottom