Tax Return for Deceased Mother

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was just working on my deceased mother's final tax return using H&R Block tax software and have run into a couple of issues.

My mother died on 5/30. She did not have enough taxable income before her death to owe taxes. However, she has a $75 refund that is due.

I am the executor of her estate and am the sole heir. H&R Block software says I have to paper file because I need to attach a copy of the order appointing me as executor. That is fine as I have that.

But here are questions:

(1) I put in my mom's address from when she was alive. However, that address is for a house that has been sold. If the IRS needs to communicate they should write me. Should I put in my address instead? I am talking about on the first page of the return at the top.

(2) I am not sure how I get the refund. I put in the routing number and account number for the estate bank account. I will enclose the copy of the Letters Testamentary. H&R Block says I don't need Form 1310 to get the refund. That seems right since I am executor. But I saw a thread last year about someone who said the IRS wanted it anyway. Will the IRS just deposit to the estate bank account or should I do more? Should I print out the Form 1310 from the IRS website and just fill it in anyway?

(3) H&R Block says I need to staple to the front of the return the 1099-R from one of my mom's pensions. She actually had 3. Why do they only want the 1099-R from the one. Is it because it is the larger one (it is $850, the next highest is $268).

1. Use your address, as relying on the Post Office to forward may not be successful. You are also filling out and signing as the executor of her estate, so if any contact they will use you and your mailing information.

2. When in doubt, putting additional information with your return will help the IRS to get it right. I would include the extra form.

3. Same as answer 2, when in doubt include the additional 1009-R information to avoid problems. Especially since you are paper filing. Just ensure you keep full copy of what you have submitted.

You did not ask, but for state filing, it would help avoid problems if you include a copy of the federal filing.

You did not ask, but for state filing, it would help avoid problems if you include a copy of the federal filing.

Thanks. Didn't ask about state as we have no state income tax.

I am inclined to do the other things you suggest and just put in my address and include the other forms (yes will keep copy for sure).

I would also send certified mail since it is your mom's estate. Just my two cents after having done this for my mom already. Sorry for you loss. It is hard when it is your parents.

For $75 refund due, I think I would electronically file as if she were still alive and have them credit the refund to the estate account routing number and account number and declare victory. no need to file for 2019 and beyond as nothing will be reported to the IRS... it will be as if she were stil alive and no longer needed to file a return.

Or just not bother to file at all and give up on the $75.

Its just not worth the hassle for $75.

For $75 refund due, I think I would electronically file as if she were still alive and have them credit the refund to the estate account routing number and account number and declare victory. no need to file for 2019 and beyond as nothing will be reported to the IRS... it will be as if she were stil alive and no longer needed to file a return.

Or just not bother to file at all and give up on the $75.

Its just not worth the hassle for $75.

I would never file and pretend she was still alive. I agree I won't do a lot of hassle. I will just print out the return and send the requested info and that extra form (just in case it is needed) and mail it certified and have done with it. If I get the $75 -- fine. If not, I am not going to spend any more time on it.

You do not attach 1099R unless tax was withheld. That may explain why you were told up attach just one.

You need to file so her SS number is closed out for tax purposes. I tried last week to put a refund from an individual to a trust and the software (Taxslayer) won’t allow us to do it so we suggested they take it to an accountant. You can fill out a third party form but not sure how that works with a trust. So I agree that a paper file is he way to go. I agree with using your address.

Just to follow up. I paper filed. For the refund, I put in the bank information for the estate bank account. I attached the one 1099-R that H&R Block said to include. I also filed the Form 1310 saying I was the executor and included the documents proving that.

The other day I got the $75 refund check in the mail. I thought it was a little odd they mailed the check instead of direct depositing as requested, but that was fine. It took about a month to get the refund.

Back
Top Bottom