The 51'st state?

CFB , your information is incorrect and as for an invasion of Canadian Culture, how about we start with Basketball, then Baseball,a nd how about Football.

Jim Carrey, Michael J.Fox, Kieffer Sutherland, William Shatner, Lorne Greene, Jack Kent Cooke, Stevie Nash etc etc etc

I have travelled the world several times, in many cities they have painted "Yanks Go Home" on buildings, I have never seen "Canadians Go Home", in fact the opposite

Greene Peace.

U.N Charter of Human Rights.

John Kenneth Galbraith.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Oh no kidding, I didnt know he did that one. My tivo siphoned it up into 'suggestions' last week and my wife asked me if it was funny. I told her it sucked. ;)

one of my fav movies. very funny. and yes, they are coming...very soon

they walk among us and we dont even know

the CN tower? hmmmm....

Whoever said the US doesn't hang onto the counties it invades is partly wrong. Don't we still have Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgins, along with some other tropical isles? Not to mention Texas and California 8) Seems like we hung onto the Philipines and Panama Canal for a while, as well as bases in Japan, Germany, and S. Korea. Just sayin'.

Co-ol! Man, we got some smart dudes in the gummint.

(I assumed the US Virgin Islands were part of the spoils of the Spanish-American War. Silly wabbit.)

astromeria, one other correction: The US didn't invade the Republic of Texas, it was voluntarily annexed by the US.

"The Republic of Texas is no more," proclaimed Anson Jones, the last president of the republic, as he stood on the steps of the old wooden Capitol building in Austin and hauled down the Lone Star flag. The date was Feb. 19, 1846, and the ceremony was the culmination of years of effort on the part of Jones, Sam Houston and other Texas leaders who orchestrated Texas' annexation into the union."

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/editorial/97/05/01/brock.0-1.html

REWahoo! said:
astromeria, one other correction:  The US didn't invade the Republic of Texas, it was voluntarily annexed by the US.
Yeah, and I bet the Texas residents who weren't U.S. citizens felt the same way that the native Hawaiians did...

I learned that the Americans in Tejas persuaded lots more Americans to join them and overwhelm the Mexican population. Sounds rather like an invasion to me. But then I went to public school in NY ;)

astromeria said:
I learned that the Americans in Tejas persuaded lots more Americans to join them and overwhelm the Mexican population. Sounds rather like an invasion to me.

Hey, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. ;) Anyhow, the Mexican population is definitely settling the score judging by their very successful ongoing invasion of Tejas.

Nords said:
Yeah, and I bet the Texas residents who weren't U.S. citizens felt the same way that the native Hawaiians did...

Actually I believe that there was general support for the move in Texas in part because of continued difficulties with Mexico.  Protecting what Texas considered to be its border became easier with the resources of the US behind it.

Nords said:

The reason Mexico let Anglos in was because they couldn't get any decent Mexican to go to Texas. The number of non-Anglos in Texas was miniscule until the 1940's until jobs opened up here.

The Texas schools search deperately for Tejanos to highlight in the Texas history classes. The ones they find were fighting the same battle for independence that the Anglos were fighting in 1836. Santa Anna was a despot and an equal opportunity tyrant.

I'm not well versed in the Hawain issues. The best parallel is what happened to indigenous peoples (existing at a Stone Age level for the most part) when European settlers arrived. They got screwed royally. Hawaii was annexed/included as a state in much the way North Dakota was.

We currently have Puerto Rico but they can become an independant nation for all I care. Of course, the US aid and tax benefits would cease. Can you spee H-A-I-T-I? Ending the bombing range just about wiped part of the island out.

2B said:
Ending the bombing range just about wiped part of the island out.

Was that intentional? :LOL:

Could be true for all I know, but funny anyway :LOL:

I don't remember how N Dakota became a state, but my recollection of Hawaii is that American (and maybe European) sugar and/or pineapple plantation owners forced the king of Hawaii to agree to some "democratic" reforms such as only wealthy land owners could vote. When a later Queen tried to curtail their power--which was a violatation of some aspect of that "constitution," the wealthy plantation owners overthrew her gov't and lobbied the US for annexation.

Was there something similar going on at that oil meeting in Dick Cheney's office ~5 years ago? I dunno. But I tend to be skeptical of the "everything happens for the noblest of reasons" view of the victors' history books, especially where overthrow of other gov'ts and taking of territory is concerned.

astromeria said:
I don't remember how N Dakota became a state, but my recollection of Hawaii is that American (and maybe European) sugar and/or pineapple plantation owners forced the king of Hawaii to agree to some "democratic" reforms such as only wealthy land owners could vote. When a later Queen tried to curtail their power--which was a violatation of some aspect of that "constitution," the wealthy plantation owners overthrew her gov't and lobbied the US for annexation.
The Bayonet Constitution was signed by Kalakaua to avoid what he regarded as the inevitable. When Lili'uokalani, who'd be regarded today as a fundamentalist, came to power and began pushing her plans to return power to the Hawaiian monarchy with a new constitution, that was the end of it.

Ironically the U.S. federal govt agreed that the takeover was a travesty of misguided American imperialism and was going to fix it any day-- right up until Hawaii was needed as a coaling station for the Spanish-American war fleet on its way to Manila Bay.

The Hawaiian sovereignty movement remains strong & popular, but the alleged "leaders" are so argumentative, emotional, and splintered by squabbles that it makes one despair of progress. Even something as simple as distributing the revenues from ceded lands is too controversial to avoid gridlock.

Gavan Daws' "Shoal of Time" and "Land and Power in Hawaii" are probably still floating around Mainland libraries.

Back
Top Bottom