the answer of what do you do

That can be quite useful.
Once upon a time, I had a job in the military that was classified to the extent that all I could say was "Sorry, I can't talk about it."

I'm sure there are others with even more highly classified jobs who use good
cover stories, but that one was kind of fun for me for a year or so.

A couple of times at social events around folks who don't know me , but do know I was connected to city government, I say I am an" Urban transportation consultant" .

( which is actually true. i send e-mails to the giant regional transit authority telling them how f-upped they are handling certain transportation projects. )

A couple of times at social events around folks who don't know me , but do know I was connected to city government, I say I am an" Urban transportation consultant" .

( which is actually true. i send e-mails to the giant regional transit authority telling them how f-upped they are handling certain transportation projects. )

"Urban transportation consultant" heh - I used to design parking lots for walmarts. :D

And later worked at one of those regional transportation authorities that received a lot of useless rantings from the public about how F-ed up everything was. :)

Last edited:
I will never buy a car directly from a dealership again after using True Car through Amex. https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/mai... car&mp_mt=e&gclid=CLy3hYGS48UCFQOUfgodqiwAKQ .

Costco also has an auto buying service. My employee saved over $3K from the best price he found at three dealers and they even offered to deliver the truck to his home.

We just bought a car for our son through the Costco program. We looked at two different makes. It was very easy. And, we shopped the price of the final choice of make/model with another dealer. They got within $75 of the Costco price (kept from them), then started to play the typical car dealer games. So, we walked in, gave the Costco dealer a check, went through the orientation and were on our way. Would do this again definitely.

Most recently I told someone I was a music critic, but that I was willing to criticize pretty much anything. For example, that shirt you're wearing...

I think a lot depends on how old/young you look, and the type of people you live around. I'm now 74, and to date no one has assumed that I am retired, though I am many years beyond looking young. I guess it is too expensive to live here, people assume that if you retire you must be truly rich and if you are rich, why aren't you living in Medina or Washington Park or something?

Also, I am an active investor, and people in my building almost all know that I work almost every morning. They don't know that I rarely make a portfolio change; in fact I want them to believe that I do rapid fire trading (about which I know nothing and for which I definitely have no talent).

I do not want people to know/think that I have any money. I don't want anyone to know my former profession, or anything else that might suggest to them money. Young woman across the hall from me got back tired from a recent business trip. She often brings my paper WSJ into our landing. She said, "how can I get you to give me some money?"

I don't even want to think about this, and I definitely do not want her to think about it.

Ha

Hmm, Ha....I suppose she must not be very attractive, or I would peg you for having a very good response to her above question on "How can I get you to give me some money." :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me, it's situational. I tell most folks I'm retired and that's the end of it. For some of the older, nosy folks in the neighborhood, I tell them I work from home. We have lots of business owners and home workers, so it's easy to blend in.

I can certainly relate to the younger folks resenting you, though. Currently, we are in Mexico with two other couples. One of them can't fathom that I have no reason to work...and I've known them for 20+ years. If THEY don't understand how I got here, most people won't. I shouldn't be surprised that they are also getting ready to get a second mortgage on their home to do some renovations and seem perfectly content to work 5 more years and not take a 'real' vacation for 3 years for the improvements. As you might guess, they will NOT be on our next getaway.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

When you have the financial resources to not work, you're automatically on every mailing list of every company that wants your money. It's a part time job just throwing away incoming mail.

And tending to investment portfolios is another part time job.

I just don't look to retirement as not working. I'm busy every day--doing what i want to do.

+1 It's amazing the number of people who assume I just sit around with time to burn. No---- I'm pretty much as busy as ever, but I make the list!

:cool:

LOL I used to say that I was a Private Portfolio Manager. If people asked anything further, I simply said it was private.

I'm retiring June 15 at age 55, but I could easily pass for 49. For me, Private Portfolio Manager wins the prize! Follow up questions can be met with vague answers like save a portion of each paycheck, live below your means, diversify your investments, don't try to time the market, etc. This could be fun! Maybe I'll even print a few business cards.

"Urban transportation consultant" heh - I used to design parking lots for walmarts. :D

And later worked at one of those regional transportation authorities that received a lot of useless rantings from the public about how F-ed up everything was. :)

I hope didn't actually read the rantings before sending the generic " Thank you for contacting the ABC Metro...... " reply . or you wouldn't have time to do anything else :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom