The Case Against Remarriage

I would say it depends on how risk averse you are

I think there would be risks on both sides of the ledger. There are certainly risks to entering marriage and living life as part of a married couple and then facing the problem of your spouse wanting out, or just as bad, you wanting out.

OTOH, I think there would be other risks to living together and raising a family with a person who has no legal obligation in the project, especially if you turn out to be the more responsible person. That concept has driven the development of common law marriage laws as a protection to the abandoned partner.

When you're talking remarriage in later life, my opinion is that the risks associated with marriage grow and the risks associated with cohabitating in lieu of marriage diminish.

Hey, life is a risk. You're born into an inhospitable world and it's one challenge after another from that day on....... ;)

As I posted previously, I have plenty of experience re marriage and divorce. For me the only thing worse than marriage is living alone and dying lonely. Blast away

As I posted previously, I have plenty of experience re marriage and divorce. For me the only thing worse than marriage is living alone and dying lonely. Blast away

I think that some of us are saying that it isn't an "either - or" situation, especially for mid-life folks considering remarriage. You can live with someone and have a strong commitment based on love, mutual interests, compatibility, etc., but not be formally married.

Or, other posters and the author have pointed out that there are legal strategies you can deploy to ensure commitments, promises, obligations, and desires of your previous life are fulfilled even though you remarry.

I agree with you that living alone and dying lonely would be a bummer.......

Or maybe better yet, a contract that sets out the financial terms so you don't have a court decide for you in the future. I know a number of people who have contracts with their live in SOs to address things like division of property if they split.

That might work if both parties are not the litigious type, but if it gets to court don't be surprised if the contract ends up partially or totally invalidated. This is especially true when there are children involved and it happens more often than you'd think.

There is much to be said for W2R's dictum that both parties should maintain separate residences and avoid all financial entanglements. It makes things SO much easier.

Not going to blast, I respect your opinion and the choices you made........;)

Does this imply you simply avoided an unfair split of financial assets at the end. Or because you benefitted from a split that was in your favor?

If it was in your favor, would you mind sharing what tactics on your part, or what mistakes on his part, led to this outcome? Just asking cuz I think actual experiences such as this would be worth a zillion times more that the general advise given in the article we're discussing.

If that's too personal, completely understood.

Not any unfair advantage for me, just no financial encumberances or losses on my part.

A little background on me...I managed govt contracts for 18+ years. If it ain't in writing, it doesn't exist. ;)

Basically, I drew up a cost share agreement (using an example from the NOLO book http://www.nolo.com/products/living-together-LTK.html ) that stated that while he resided in my home, he would pay 50% of all expenses incurred (utilities, food, car insurance for vehicles I owned but he drove, property and school taxes, consumer items, etc). The only exception was anything related to my home, i.e. capital improvements or repairs, which I paid 100% on the advice of my trust attorney. :LOL:

I kept my financial assets completely separate. No dummy here.
An amusing sidebar...he actually asked me to go halfsies on a car for him. I already owned 3 vehicles, one of which he drove. Once I stopped laughing, the subject quickly died on the vine.

When we split, anything we had bought together was not split, but dealt with in more of a horse trading arrangement. He took all the tools and the full size tool chest, I kept all of the electronics items and metal storage cabinets we purchased together. I paid him back his cost share of a computer desk that I kept.

I am a very fair person. I had receipts of all purchases (my nature to keep records) and did a "back of the envelope" tally up to make sure the value of the horse traded items were on par.

He got a little foolish about a few things, but I used logic and irrefutable proof of purchases to get him to get his planet back in alignment with reality. ;)

His biggest mistake was thinking he would do better on his own. When a man cannot overcome his past, he cannot have a future. Such is life.

All this talk about alimony reminded me of a recent post by one of our esteemed female moderators in a thread about life negotiations. She asked rhetorically that if life was all about "tit-for-tat" negotiations, what are the "tat" that women get?

Lordy, lordy! How much more "tat" can divorced men afford?

"Many divorce agreements provide for alimony or spouse-support payments, which is separate from child-support payments. Americans gave $9.4 billion to former spouses in 2007, up from $5.6 billion a decade earlier, according to the Internal Revenue Service. Men accounted for 97% of alimony-payers last year, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, although the share of women supporting ex-husbands is on the rise."
The New Art of Alimony - WSJ.com

Geez, thanks for the article. I read it after eating a lazy Saturday lunch which is ill advised, so apparently alimony is like herpes -- it can reappear at will years down the road.

As for Ha, who I assume is a distinguished gentleman with means and Spanish skills, there is no need to lead a lonely life unless you choose to. A friend of mine in the DR who is 60 has at least two girlfriends that I know of, and let's just say that my heart skipped a beat when I met them in the flesh. Yes, the ladies can pile on now. :)

Same here. The thought of remarrying (if my marriage ended in death) actually makes me wonder on the impossible situation of let's say, I meet both husband no. 1 and 2 in heaven (assuming we all end there) - who do I stay with then?

Oddly enough, this question has been asked at least once before:

That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. “Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up offspring for him. Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. Finally, the woman died. Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”

Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”
(Matthew 22:23-32)

Remarriage is risky & complex

I have been remarried for eleven & 1/2 years. We are both professionals who brought in two children each from a prior marriage. We always knew that our challenges in this marriage focused on my wife's youngest daughter. She was 14 when we married, a nasty, abusive, and sometimes violent child. I always hoped that this child would grow out of it, or at least leave and live her own life.

Fast-forward to now; my wife has constantly enabled this addicted, violent, felonious psychopath to the determent of our marriage. I pumped $35,000 into a major rehab for the daughter back in 2006, a loan to my wife. Each year it got worse and worse, with arrests, violence, and abuse of my wife.

My wife and I are now right on the cusp of divorce. After years of propping my DW up in every way, I guess the last straw(s) have arrived on my back.

So, remarriage is a real risk, with nearly two thirds ending in divorce. We're in counseling, and I'm trying to get the DW to go with me to Families Anon.

Fast-forward to now; my wife has constantly enabled this addicted, violent, felonious psychopath to the determent of our marriage. I pumped $35,000 into a major rehab for the daughter back in 2006, a loan to my wife. Each year it got worse and worse, with arrests, violence, and abuse of my wife.

You have my sympathies and best wishes. I have watched a good friend of mine struggle with exactly the same issues for almost as many years. You and he are both much stronger than I for lasting this long.

. We always knew that our challenges in this marriage focused on my wife's youngest daughter. She was 14 when we married, a nasty, abusive, and sometimes violent child. I always hoped that this child would grow out of it, or at least leave and live her own life.

Sorry to hear about your problem ! Remarriage when children are involved is a landmine waiting to explode .

I seem to go back and forth on the remarriage issue. However, I must confess; when I dig down deep...I would not get involved with a man that would never consider the possibility of marriage.

My wife and I are now right on the cusp of divorce. After years of propping my DW up in every way, I guess the last straw(s) have arrived on my back.

So, remarriage is a real risk, with nearly two thirds ending in divorce. We're in counseling, and I'm trying to get the DW to go with me to Families Anon.
I hope this winds up in a way that is good for you.

Back when I was struggling along I got a book from the library by some guy who essentially said-"Why do you think that marriage should be work, or is worth a lot of work, or that you should be the one to do this work?" I couldn't think of a good reason other than that I had accepted this role, and it began to dawn on me that I really didn't have to accept any role that I didn't want to, other than law-abiding self supporting citizen, polite person, good father, one who showers regularly etc.

To hell with doing a lot of unpaid and unlikely to be appreciated propping!

It hurts to give up a dream, or an habitual relationship which is certain to have had its pleasurable moments and its real benefits. But it also feels good to lay that burden down.

Ha

I would not get involved with a man that would never consider the possibility of marriage.

What about a guy they considered and rejected it?
I think that is the issue. Those guys have thought about marriage and realized it isn't for them.

I would be more concerned with the guy who said he's unsure about marriage. He hasn't thought about it enough.

I would be somewhat concerned about the guy that said he wants to get married. Is the right person a priority or the state of marriage he envisions?

Wow, freebird,

Man, is that a truism!

I'm going to add it to my list of quotes (started in another thread).

omni
Here's a few more choice ones for you...;)

I have never dangled on a man's wallet chain and have no intention of ever doing so. :cool:

I do not believe in emptying a man's wallet. :nonono:

I don't need your money...I have my own. :LOL:

I seem to go back and forth on the remarriage issue. However, I must confess; when I dig down deep...I would not get involved with a man that would never consider the possibility of marriage.
Know thyself is a good motto, which you seem to have done. Me too, and that knowing basically has deposited me in a place where I feel I am not at all negative to BF/GF relationships- a good woman can handle all my business and leave me for dead... just no way do I want any kind of sneak up on me entanglements.

Ha

What about a guy they considered and rejected it?
I think that is the issue. Those guys have thought about marriage and realized it isn't for them.

I would be more concerned with the guy who said he's unsure about marriage. He hasn't thought about it enough.

I would be somewhat concerned about the guy that said he wants to get married. Is the right person a priority or the state of marriage he envisions?
You bring up very good points...:)

I suppose I'm trying to say that I need possibilities. A closed door in this regard would hurt my heart.

Know thyself is a good motto, which you seem to have done. Me too, and that knowing basically has deposited me in a place where I feel I am not at all negative to BF/GF relationships- a good woman can handle all my business and leave me for dead... just no way do I want any kind of sneak up on me entanglements.

Ha
Mmmm, hmmmm...fair enough darlin'. :flowers:

Of the same opinion. My son has been going steady with his girlfriend for 3 years now. Both have steady jobs in the public sector. He has the gall:( to tell me that he doesn´t plan to marry. And, neither has she-or so she says:confused:.
But what I find most unbelievable is that -according to my son- his theoretical mother in law agrees with their plans...... :ROFLMAO:

We are talking conservative small town mores around here, where gossip rules.

Back
Top Bottom