The Christmas Tree

At the old house we needed landscape trees so we’d get a balled tree and plant it in the spring. We had one that remained dormant for two years. We did that about 5 years. Now we usually have a live tree, sometimes two. We pay about $50.
The local Lions Club suspended their Xmas tree sale fundraiser this year. Never happened before. They say they couldn’t find enough quality trees to meet their goals due to fewer trees being planted during the financial crisis.

My wife has been trying to talk me into an artificial tree for years. I am stubborn when it comes to Christmas traditions, so we will be getting a real tree again this year. I did buy one of those nostalgic ceramic bulb trees for her!!

We moved to Monterey, CA from the Northeast in 1970 so I could go to the Defense Language Institute there. I was a lowly paid LT(jg) in the Navy. My wife and I had grown up in New England where Christmas trees were always abundant and prices did not seem exorbitant. Whether it was California in general or the Monterey Peninsula in particular I don't know but the trees seemed incredibly expensive! I don't remember exactly what we paid but it was big bucks for us and it was pretty scrawny. We referred to it then, and still do almost 50 years later, as the "Christmas Stick". Funny how we remember that "tree" much more than most of the nicer, taller, fuller ones over the years.

Merry Christmas whether you're of the natural, artificial or "none" persuasion.

We stopped buying fresh trees. Hardly fresh. Trees showed up at our local grocery store last week. No doubt they were cut a few weeks ago. So how old are they and how dry will they be over the Xmas period. Charlie Brown variety-about $30 USD. Cannot imagine what our preferred Scotch Pines are fetching this year.

We decided to cut our own because the children liked it and because of fire hazard. We did to buy a dryed up tree that had been dead for six weeks. Have you ever seen a dried up Xmas tree go on fire? It is like a roman candle. Very scary. We later moved to an artificial tree. Same reason. Fire hazard. Plus DW did not like cleaning up the pine needles for weeks afterwards.

Some people around our home already have their trees up and exterior Christmas lights ablaze. Seems strange to us. Ours go up around Dec 15-20 and come down on Jan 1 or 2.

Last edited:
I love having fresh trees, but allergies started requiring artificial ones several years ago. We told our kids it was an "alternative" tree. Our decorations usually go up the first week of December. I so enjoy the holidays--music, decorations, lights, etc.!

When my daughter was a little girl, we had a very high, arched ceiling in the living room. I'd buy a 14' - 16' real tree, bring it home, cut off the trunk and put it in water to keep it fresh, erect it in the living room, and decorate it. My late ex was usually at sea through all of December, so normally I did all of this all by myself.

I always got the kind of tree that smells so wonderful.... is that a Douglas fir? I don't recall but I know one when I see it, and that is the kind I would insist upon. They don't last as long and drop a few needles even when watered, so they are a bit of work to keep after. I would only have it up from around December 15th-20th through the 31st. We never had an artificial tree. Just not the same.

Anyway, my dear daughter loved those trees, especially when she was little! And how could I not feel the same, watching her happy smile and glistening eyes. I have some wonderful memories of listening to Christmas music, baking Christmas cookies together, and sitting by the beautiful lit tree with her, wrapping presents or reading Christmas children's books together. Each ornament had a meaning. Other than the homemade ornaments, we bought one special ornament every year after looking all over town together for just the right one.

But now, let's face it, I'm older! It's a plain fact and no amount of ignoring it or hiding my head in the sand will make that go away. I'm 70 and no kids live in my house, and the only guest I ever wish to have here is F (and he is not a big fan of Christmas). I don't feel sorry for myself for having no kids around, but it does make it seem pretty pointless to go to all that trouble to put up a tree. If I want to see a pretty Christmas tree and get in the Christmas spirit, I can just look at other people's Christmas trees.

But now, let's face it, I'm older! It's a plain fact and no amount of ignoring it or hiding my head in the sand will make that go away. I'm 70 and no kids live in my house, and the only guest I ever wish to have here is F (and he is not a big fan of Christmas). I don't feel sorry for myself for having no kids around, but it does make it seem pretty pointless to go to all that trouble to put up a tree. If I want to see a pretty Christmas tree and get in the Christmas spirit, I can just look at other people's Christmas trees.

Whew! Thought I was the only one. We do have a gas fireplace that is lovely. I too used to decorate everywhere, bathrooms, bedrooms, had lighted deer in my front yard, 7 ft tree and all the little trinkets everywhere. Now? Just not there. Lost my mojo for a Xmas tree and all the trimmings. I do enjoy everyone else's decorations.

Reactions: W2R
We always get a real tree, and we always go cut it down ourselves. Living where we do, it's not difficult or expensive to cut your own tree, either on public land or land owned by one of our friends. We get a smaller tree these days than we used to, but it's still a real tree (usually spruce or balsam fir). We will probably continue to do this as long as the grandkids are around for Christmas (grandkids usually go with us to pick out and cut down the tree). After that, my guess is that we will just skip the tree entirely, as I can't see us ever getting an artificial tree - wouldn't be the same.

We have had a real tree for many years except for the 3 years that we were in the Middle-East and then we had an artificial one. Love the smell they bring to the house for the 6 weeks that it is up. Definitely keep it well watered. I still use the GE lighted ice Christmas lights that we had on the tree in the 60s.

With DW getting pretty ill over the last two years, we have slimmed our Xmas tree needs down from an 8' cut fir tree to a 4' artificial tree that stays decorated and kept in a closet when the holidays are over. Less for her to do and me also.

It works and that's all that counts. As long as we continue to be the main home for the Xmas celebration with the kids, DW is very happy. ;) I think that is changing as the "youngsters" and their offspring get older and have their own family traditions.

...we have slimmed our Xmas tree needs down from an 8' cut fir tree to a 4' artificial tree that stays decorated and kept in a closet when the holidays are over.

That's what we do too. It is kept in a basement storage room with a plastic bag over it to keep any dust off, then it gets dragged out for a few weeks and back into storage again.

Whew! Thought I was the only one. We do have a gas fireplace that is lovely. I too used to decorate everywhere, bathrooms, bedrooms, had lighted deer in my front yard, 7 ft tree and all the little trinkets everywhere. Now? Just not there. Lost my mojo for a Xmas tree and all the trimmings. I do enjoy everyone else's decorations.

Our last house had a real fireplace. Current digs has a three sided gas unit (that works when power is out). Like the real Christmas trees, I don't miss that real fireplace. While not efficient, the gas fireplace will cook the house if I let it. Real ones are warm if you are nearby, while sucking the heat from your house right up and out the chimney.

I also swapped out my wood burning chimnea for a gas fire pit thingy a few years back.

Seeing a disturbing trend here, but I'll blame DW somehow....

Our artificial tree is folded and on wheels and stored in a closet. I just wheel it out, unfold it, and DW adds the ornaments.

Up to age 21 I never had a Christmas tree. The family was Jewish.

Age 21 to 28 DH and I were in a small/cheap apartment so we had either a Christmas branch and hung cards on it or had a small tabletop artificial tree.

Age 29, 30 and 31 We had a house and one or two young kids and thought we ought to have a Christmas tree. I remember buying the smallest real tree on the lot and when we got it home it looked enormous in our living room or dining room. We got tree sap on the carpet and needles dropping were a problem.

Age 32 - 45 or so We bought a reasonable sized artificial tree. It took up a good portion of the dining room (no way you are putting that in the living room) and the cats thought we bought it for them. After a few years I figured out we didn't need all those branches in the back, if we just used the front half the tree could get that much closer to the wall and we regained a lot of our space.

Somewhere along the way we decided that we weren't Christians the rest of the year so who were we kidding, the tree was just for fun.

Finally, DH took our artificial tree to his office and rather than bring it home he would leave it there for next year. Left it there for a few years and then when he retired he donated it to his office.

No plans on ever having a Christmas tree again. Now we have a new baby grandson. His parents are atheist and Buddhist leanings so who knows what they will do.

We didn’t have a tree for many years because of our cats. Once we no longer had cats, we started getting real trees. I prefer the smell and the look, and we don’t have space to store an artificial tree anyway. Someday we may cut down to a tabletop tree, but if we do, I still want it to be real.

We didn’t have a tree for many years because of our cats. Once we no longer had cats, we started getting real trees. I prefer the smell and the look, and we don’t have space to store an artificial tree anyway. Someday we may cut down to a tabletop tree, but if we do, I still want it to be real.

The Christmas Tree was like a gift to our cat every year as she batted ornaments and climbed the trunk to the mid way point. She never toppled the tree and seemed to enjoy every minute. I agree with downsizing, but still getting a real tree.

I have two feral cats who hang out indoors with me. The youngest is only semi-feral having known me her whole life, but her mama will never let me touch her, despite me feeding her for over 7 years and coming in the house regularly over 4). They love the tree - but only to sit under. Maybe because they climb real trees whenever they want, they've never tried it with my christmas trees.

But fake tree for me. I used to get real, but in S. Fla a cut tree doesn't always last 4 weeks, let alone 5 or 6 if I like to put it up the day after thanksgiving. I'm on year 10 on my fake one, finally had to replace the lights but it's a keeper.

Attachments

• IMG_20181128_163023288 (1).jpg
    IMG_20181128_163023288 (1).jpg
    500 KB · Views: 13
Had real trees until the kids were born...then found they were allergic.

So I snagged an artificial tree from a relative who was moving & we've been using it for the past 20+ years.

I'd never buy a real tree again.

We always got a real tree at a tree farm. It was a special day each year for our family. Our son loved it.

Years ago when my dad was dying I just ran out and bought an artificial tree. He passed right after XMAS.

Then our son went away to college out of state and eventually ended up living in that town permanently.

We visit him there each XMAS and he lives alone in a small apartment so we stay at a resort or at an Inn and eat out for the holiday. Stress free. No decorating for us. We simply admire everyone else’s decorations.

We have happily gotten used to this now and can’t even imagine having to deal with trees and decorating and lots of gift buying.

We must have a tree per my wife. However, it is fake and now we only use the top half and sit it on a table. Bah humbug!

I have to have a real tree. I love the smell. I have a lot of German and old family ornaments, so I like to get a pretty big tree. We have an old house with tall ceilings and this year's tree is touch too tall, lol. It's a gorgeous tree this year though.

I go all out with Christmas decorating. I normally like an uncluttered look all year round, but Christmas is different. I hang lights all over the house. I have a second mini tree for the dining table. My mantle looks like a Santa explosion and most flat surfaces have either a Christmas village, nativity scene or German/Scandinavian knick knacks (or all the above). I can't help it.

Last edited:
We’ll have family here on 12/15 to help decorate the really pretty live tree we just bought at Costco ($41.99), which will make memories for the granddaughters, and again for Christmas dinner. A nice wreath from the Boy Scouts hangs on our house. I would not care a whit if DD or DS had a faux tree themselves but so far they have only had live ones.

We used to live near Inverness, a suburb of Chicago in the late 90's. DH worked in Barrington, IL. Very exclusive areas, though we were young and poor, we used to drive around and marvel at the decorations. Come to find out most were hired decorators. Outside and inside. Many of the mansions did not have window coverings so you could look inside. Now, I think it's creepy.

Back
Top Bottom