The cost of cable cutting is going up

If you live close (or, if lucky, walking distance) from a public library in a metro or suburb of a metro, the library can provide a huge chunk of your entertainment wants at no additional cost. They're part of your taxes, so take advantage. I check out television and movie content weekly. I also bought a ChannelMaster DVR+ (recently discontinued) in 2015 (primarily for NFL), but have branched out into wasting my time more elegantly with PBS content. Buying a DVR was an excuse for watching more television. My outlay for all the gear was about $300 at the time. I consider it a great expenditure for making my entertainment "efficient" (that is unless you are entertained by commercials) time-wise. I have trouble watching any tv if it isn't recorded now. Spoiled.

Does anyone have a solution for recording and watching NFL games on game day without having traditional cable? We don’t like TV so we cut it after the Super Bowl, but we may have to go back on cable in the fall. So far we have been unable to find a way to DVR NFL games on game day without having cable. We will not watch the games “live” ... way too many ads ... but also want to watch them the same day as the actual game.

Yes the hype about cutting the cord for TV is getting to be passe'. PS Vue has glitches too. System hangs, pixel problems, down time, performance issues. I would complain and try to get a credit but no one to contact reliably. I would drop but the sports coverage is very good. However, the big sporting events tend to have performance issues. Tried Youtube Red yet?
Depends on where you are I guess. PS Vue has been more reliable than Dish Network satellite for us. Picture quality is as good or better, and we lost signal due to weather with satellite occasionally, internet reliability is much better. We’re not having any of the issues you describe regularly, and it seems to be getting better all the time. I wonder if your internet connection is adequate?
We find cable worth the money. I went to my son’s and watching TV was very complicated and a PITA when he was not there and I didn’t have enough choices.
if you prefer cable, that’s great. But streaming doesn’t have to be any more complicated than satellite or cable, must be in your son’s setup. If it was complicated, my DW would have demanded we go back to satellite. She got the hang of it in a day or two, and has her friends asking about it - they’re all still paying 2 to 5X more for cable or satellite.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a solution for recording and watching NFL games on game day without having traditional cable? We don’t like TV so we cut it after the Super Bowl, but we may have to go back on cable in the fall. So far we have been unable to find a way to DVR NFL games on game day without having cable. We will not watch the games “live” ... way too many ads ... but also want to watch them the same day as the actual game.

I've been using Channelmaster DVR+ for 3 years with an antenna direct antenna for recording OTA. I live in San Diego, so a big bonus was getting about 90% of the World Cup games recently on Telemundo live through Tijuana stations and in HD. Although channelmaster dvr+ has been discontinued, there are other alternatives. The dvr+ isn't perfect, but its gotten the job done. Some people have had buggy units I've read avforum website, and the initial remote was a terrible design - my remote died, but the replacement remote has been great. You might be able to find a DVR+ on the cheap now or used, but there is a chance you get a lemon maybe. I've been happy with mine on the whole. It may be worth the risk, may be not.

Here's a few ideas:
https://www.techhive.com/article/3173175/streaming-hardware/best-dvr-for-cord-cutters.html

www.channelmaster.com

I was hoping channelmaster would refine and improve their dvr+, but they opted to contract the design out for their new stream+! That left me disappointed, although the new "stream+" is significantly cheaper. Noticed on the new unit a deal-breaker for me in you can't watch and record the same stream while its recording - at least the review read like that - horrible if true.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom