The Day the Music Died

Holly was before my time, but I'll never forget the day Jerry Garcia died - where I was, who told me, etc. It's amazing that the death of one modest person can be up there with the likes of 9/11 or the Space Shuttle disasters.

"American Pie" was truly one of the all-time greatest one-hit wonders. Apropos to this forum, I like the answer he gave when asked what the lyrics mean: "It means I never have to work again."

(Edit: Just because it's an amazing song doesn't mean I want to hear it again. Ever! But Vincent is rather pretty. Thanks for reminding me, harley.)

I hate that song! :yuk: I have probably heard that song more often than any other song in my life. It's not that the song is so bad, it's just the Chinese Water Torture aspect of it. And it never ends!

However, Don McLean wasn't a one hit wonder. He also did [-]Starry Night[/-]Vincent, which I like a lot more than American Pie.

For me the day the music died was Dec. 8, 1980. I also remember exactly where I was when they announced about Stevie Ray, and also Jerry Garcia.

Last edited:
Yep - listened to the Buddy Holley remembrance show on my XM radio 50's channel.

heh heh heh - sniff sniff :flowers: High school went downhill after 1959. :greetings10:

This was mentioned on another site I visit, except they used Feb. 2nd. I have old newspaper clippings I kept through the years, and they mention Feb. 2nd, Feb. 3rd, and even Feb. 4th. Hate to be a stickler for detail, but sure wish this could definitely be clarified.

This was mentioned on another site I visit, except they used Feb. 2nd. I have old newspaper clippings I kept through the years, and they mention Feb. 2nd, Feb. 3rd, and even Feb. 4th. Hate to be a stickler for detail, but sure wish this could definitely be clarified.

Feb 3, 1959 is listed as the date of death of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper (JP Richardson).

Did you see that there are a couple of new releases of old Buddy Holly material that are coming out? I saw mention of it in a news article. They mentioned that Buddy Holly was unusual at the time because he wrote and produced his own songs--I guess that Texas singer-songwriter thing goes back a long way. The article also mentioned Party Doll, a song I'd never heard until Ha brought it to my attention on this forum.

Anyone going to pick up the new releases?

Speaking of Don McLean, one of those great teen memories for me is the New Years Eve right after I got my night license (16 here in SC) a week earlier. We were driving out to a party in the Francis Marion forest at a little cabin, and that song came on the radio. About 6 of us in my old 1982 Chevy blazer sang along with the whole song. I can remember it like yesterday. Boy did we have fun that night--well, except for the ones that threw up (not me)!

Did you see that there are a couple of new releases of old Buddy Holly material that are coming out? I saw mention of it in a news article. They mentioned that Buddy Holly was unusual at the time because he wrote and produced his own songs--I guess that Texas singer-songwriter thing goes back a long way. The article also mentioned Party Doll, a song I'd never heard until Ha brought it to my attention on this forum.

Yep, one is called "Down The Line: The Rarities". A lot of it is country. Here is a link where you can listen to sound samples.

Back
Top Bottom