The Economist gave me a call

tightasadrum

Full time employment: Posting here.
I currently subscribe to The Economist magazine. I find it to have a fairly comprehensive coverage of the whole world. But lately I haven't had the time to read it all each week. So I had decided not to renew.

Today a received a telephone call from someone trying to sign me back up 4 or 5 months before the end of the subscription. Since I'd already decided not to renew, I decided to play along to see where it would go.

The "new full price" was $129. But if I renewed for three years, it's $99 for a special customer like me. Naw, it's just too pricy. OK I'll pull these strings and get to you for $89 per year for three years. Naw, I don't think so. OK, just this once I'll transfer you to our special agent who will approve you for only $84. I said, "Look, I get more magazines than I can read, and most of them cost around $10 per year. You guys are just too expensive."

She finally let me go. She was a very pleasant woman on the phone. But if anyone is renewing The Economist anytime soon, hold out for a lower price.

A visit to your local library would allow you to read any interesting articles in the latest issue and not require the pricey subscription.

True, but takes more time. You know what they say, time is money. I don't think I can download the articles to my iPhone either at the library.

The Economist is my favorite news magazine and I was surprised to find out that I could get a subscription using miles. Check out Magsformiles.com. You can get a 51 week subscription for 3200 miles with most of the major airline programs. I figure that makes it about $32.

Jackson

True, but takes more time. You know what they say, time is money. I don't think I can download the articles to my iPhone either at the library.

You may want to check you local library further....I don't read this, but checked anyway, my library offers online access (and I'm sure carries a paper copy too) to the magazine current as of 3/17/2012 edition. I would go in and ask a librarian if you can find it yourself. This will save you time and money.

The Economist is my favorite news magazine and I was surprised to find out that I could get a subscription using miles. Check out Magsformiles.com. You can get a 51 week subscription for 3200 miles with most of the major airline programs. I figure that makes it about $32.

I'll second that. Once I am ER'd and actually have time to read more than a few articles a week (while on the bus or waiting on the elevator), I'll be using my frequent flyer miles for The Economist. About the best redemption value around.

Nah! Not when you are retired, thank goodness! Having plenty of time often saves you money.

Whatever - I gave up magazines when we went fulltime RV - totally incompatible with the RVing lifestyle. Whew! What a relief!!! I have a couple of electronic only subscriptions now.

Audrey

Jackson

Thanks for that. I hadn't thought of using miles to subscribe for a magazine - the Economist is one of only a few subsriptions that we still get in paper format (along with the FT and SCMP).

Also available on-line for anyone (no library trip needed) at economist.com

Although I prefer the paper version.

-- Rita

Also available on-line for anyone (no library trip needed) at economist.com

Although I prefer the paper version.

Without a subscription, they limit you to reading 10 articles per week (if you sign in to your free account).

When I saw the title to this thread, I assumed that "The Economist" was calling to get advice on a retirement related article they were writing.

There is lots of common sense on this forum.

...(snip)... OK, just this once I'll transfer you to our special agent who will approve you for only $84. I said, "Look, I get more magazines than I can read, and most of them cost around $10 per year. You guys are just too expensive."

She finally let me go. She was a very pleasant woman on the phone. But if anyone is renewing The Economist anytime soon, hold out for a lower price.
I think the mag version of the Economist is great. It's my only subscription. And yes, it takes a lot of time to read through it weekly.

Any thoughts on how to get directly to the "special agent" and get that $84 price? I don't have airline miles, just get $'s direct from the credit cards.

Our library has a basket by the door where people put their magazines (from home) after they've read them. I usually pick up a few for reading at the table. Right now I have a bunch of National Geographics and Omnis.

I'm amazed how much of the magazines cater to (eg buyers' guides, product placement) and are devoted to advertising.

Whatever - I gave up magazines when we went fulltime RV - totally incompatible with the RVing lifestyle. Whew! What a relief!!! I have a couple of electronic only subscriptions now.
Family Handyman is our last paid subscription. (We have "lifetime" subscriptions to our alumni magazine and U.S. Naval Institute "PROCEEDINGS".) But our learning curve on FH has flattened out to the point where we could easily let that subscription lapse.

My Dad's subscriptions to his magazines are finally expiring, and the snail-mail campaign is relentless. Luckily I didn't include a phone number on his change-of-address card.

Back
Top Bottom