The end of summer rituals.. the pool, the garden.

Two weeks until we go Tail-gate-n..... Bring on College Football.

Michael

Yes, since when is 'penn' (I assume that refers to Pennsylvania) in the Arctic Circle?

I'm in Northern IL, almost to WI, and we are just now getting tomatoes. A/C is on. There won't be any fall rituals around here for about 2 months. Heck, a few years back, I cut the grass on Dec 1 (intentionally held off a day so I can say I cut the grass in December!).

:confused:

-ERD50
When I was a kid, we had a plot of land near you, near Barrington. One year, out of the blue, Dad decides to go up there and plant a garden. So we did. Turned over rough overgrown prairie. Tons of work.

We'd visit each Saturday. Good father-son time. Things were looking awesome in August! These were the days before the deer infestation, so there was no danger of animal activity at all.

Then the earliest frost on record (Sept 10 or so) hits. I told my Dad not to worry, it wasn't a freeze. We'll be fine.

We were not fine.

This little exposed plot of land must have been in a low location or something. It was a total loss. I still remember driving up to the plot and seeing little balls of mush barely hanging on blackened vines. Something that used to be a tomato, I guess.

From that day on, this City Boy got a real appreciation for the farmers that feed us, and the work they do.

I watch it too.. hate to say it but it feels like we are due for a biggie.
Yep. Hope we can get through the fall without a hurricane. This time of year with 4 cats and being a couple of blocks from the ocean it's time to clean and prep the cat carriers in case we have to "bug out".

Cheers!

85*F Here @ 8:42am in NWFLA. No winter in Sight...... Only 2 freeze nights last year if you can call that winter. But we did get that strong whirly wind thing last year.

Well it's done ...the pool is covered and all put away for the winter and I am relieved.. now all we need do is monitor the leaf situation.

Good ***, you nearly live at the North Pole. It's 95F outside right now in New Orleans, and hot hot hot. It will be unbearably hot outside for at least a couple of months.

I was thinking the same thing - and I'm not nearly as far South as LA... :LOL::LOL:

Edit: It occurs to me that since I had my knee operation on June the 2nd, this has been a bit of a "wired" lost summer for me.
It's a lost summer for you because it isn't over yet! It's lost in the future. Get away from the computer, go outside, and enjoy the rest of summer with your new knee. :D

Here's a pic of my pool maintenance this weekend, although I was the one that was shocked as I had never seen my pool before.

As for the end of summer, I think I'm going to drive to somewhere cooler for a while.

Attachments

• found-the-pool - Copy.jpg
    found-the-pool - Copy.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 11
Wow, end of summer already? I wish. Temperature will get back to 107F (42C) high later this week. Summer does not end until the AC stops running, and that is usually the last week of October.

I remember in my 2014 RV trip rushing up to the NE for my long-planned Canadian Maritimes visit. I had a late start in mid August, because I had an important medical appointment before I could go. It was hot when I left the SW. I had only 1-1/2 month because in early October, the campgrounds in Nova Scotia started to close due to frost.

So, I went down south to Maine, and in mid October the campgrounds in Bar Harbor started to close down too. Could have gone down south again, and hang out in Salem, Mass. to enjoy Halloween there as we did some years ago. However, something happened at home, and I needed to head back.

When I got back home, it was still in the low 100s. Gah!

Back
Top Bottom