The five spice challenge

Agreed that garlic, chili peppers, and onions are to be treated like veggies!

1. Rosemary
2. Basil
3. Oregano
4. Cumin
5. Apple cider vinegar (went with the most versatile in my house)

Is chocolate a spice? If so, my list needs revision.

If garlic, onions and chile peppers are vegetables:

oregano
cumin
cinnamon
cilantro (another veggie?)
bourbon

If cilantro is a veggie, substitute tequila.

One of my faves, when we used to make homemade frequently. The best I ever made was cinnamon ice cream with chocolate covered crunchy Werther's toffees mixed in. Heaven. Ranked up there with my vanilla flavored, oatmalt sweet stount (served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a hot day).

Curry
Garlic
Basil
Oregano
Soy Sauce

Surprised no one else mentioned curry. I love it! No only in curry dishes, but a pinch in many dishes like potato or chicken salad is yummy.

No fair. Curry is a blend of spices.

So... what was the 5-spice solution found during this "rich debate"?
There was no solution, as we were drinking and kept getting into side debates as we found shortcuts that formed the counter-rules about blend spices, etc.

I know this much:

paprika
cumin
fish sauce

I think it's interesting that you can tell from this thread who bakes and who doesn't. :)

It is going to be hard for me to chose. Assuming that this is a small and isolated island -- else I would be able to get whatever spices I need from the local grocery stores, or heck, catch a flight back to mainland -- then it means that I may not have a whole lot of the main ingredients to prepare my carnivorous meals.

This means that I would stick with spices that are used on fish, or sadly, vegetarian meals. :(

Now, I am no vegetarian, so I am really at a loss. I read Robinson Crusoe in my childhood, but do not remember if his cooking was described in the novel. :confused:

Ah, I remember Alton Brown's show has an episode about "cooking while stranded on an island". I suggest we all watch to get an idea of what to do with ingredients one might find on a tropical island.

YouTube - Good Eats S4E14P3: Down & Out In Paradise

Back
Top Bottom