Join Early Retirement Today

The Heart Case
Old 09-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Heart Case

I've been fostering kittens through the spring and summer - about a dozen or so this season. I just took in this adult cat to foster from the shelter. She has a skin condition that is very uncomfortable and, naturally, makes her unadoptable until she's cured. We're not sure if it's ringworm, allergies, or what.

The shelter staff approached me because they know I'm not put off by ringworm or other "icky" ailments. They were distressed to see her getting worse and heartbroken because she's just so darn sweet and loving.

I gotta tell you, in all my years of fostering kitties, this one touched my heart in a special way. She is the most affectionate cat I've seen in ages. She's been at the shelter for about a month and just got worse and worse. I think the stress of the environment - in a small cage and housed in the quarrantine area that includes "barky" dogs - made matters worse.

As soon as I saw her, I thought "this animal needs an advocate". It's amazing how much love and trust this kitty has in her heart. Even though she's been though a lot, she is completely loving and trusting. She rolls over, shows her tummy, and gives a look as if to say "thank you for helping me".

I'm going to see how she does the next couple of days. If her condition doesn't improve or gets worse, I'll make sure she gets proper vet care. I've fostered many, many cats and kittens over the years and have four cats of my own now, so I don't anticipate keeping her. I know how to set that barrier. If you don't, you end up with too many pets and can't help others. I just want her to get better and end up in a good home.

I'm trying to think of a name for her. Something sweet. Suggestions welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010152.JPG (418.5 KB, 7 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

There are some lovely kitty names on this website...

Unique Cat Names | Female

But even so...I like the name Faith for this kitty.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Administrator

She looks remarkably like the cat we owned for 15 years before she just decided to walk off into the woods. Her litter mate died a few weeks later.

They were the most lovable and best natured cats anyone could wish to have. Her name was Daisy, and her sister was called Clover. (The kids named the kittens when we got them at age ~8 weeks).
Old 09-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

She looks just like my Abby (also rescued from a shelter where she lived for almost 2 years). She's tabby on her back and white on her belly and legs. Since she's only partial tabby, we removed the "t" and were left with Abby.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Poor Kitty! I hope she gets better.
Keep us updated on her condition.
NW Landlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Like others have said... she looks so much like my current cat.... who by the way is very affectionate to me (and sitting in my lap as I type this... getting in the way )

Do you know what kind she is
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Like others have said... she looks so much like my current cat.... who by the way is very affectionate to me (and sitting in my lap as I type this... getting in the way )

Do you know what kind she is
I'd love to see a pic of your cat Texas Proud. As far as what kind she is...my guess is a NVS - Northern Virginia Stray

BTW, she's digging life right now. Eating like a little pig and purring up a storm. I'm a little worried because her eyes are squinty and she looks like she has a mild case of conjunctivitis. I've got some antibiotic eye treatment but will keep a close watch on this.

Purrs and headbumps all.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

DDs cat was a foundling on NoVA too. She's named Gemini, because she was found hanging around a Goodyear Gemini store. Where did they find your cat?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I think we've missed the obvious choice for the name of this kitty...she should be "Purron"
Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like Purron for your new foster kitty! She is a pretty girl and I hope she relaxes and enjoys life at your house. She is such a pretty girl.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
DDs cat was a foundling on NoVA too. She's named Gemini, because she was found hanging around a Goodyear Gemini store. Where did they find your cat?
I don't know where exactly she came from. Animal control picked her up somewhere in Fairfax County. Poor thing is declawed too.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

When I bought my old golden retriever, the mother's name was 'Sugar Babe'. I thought that was a cool name. Probably not a cat name though.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I think we've missed the obvious choice for the name of this kitty...she should be "Purron"
Great idea - I'll add it to the list we're considering. I named a kitten Bambi recently with you in mind. I like names that appeal to little girls. Lots of families come into the shelter and it's often the little girls that go gaga over the kittens!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Ahhh...thank you...I love the thought of a Bambi kitty.

The female kitties I've had have been named; Kissie, Amy and my current kitty Tootsie. Sometimes I call her the Tootsinator....
Old 09-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Great idea - I'll add it to the list we're considering. I named a kitten Bambi recently with you in mind. I like names that appeal to little girls. Lots of families come into the shelter and it's often the little girls that go gaga over the kittens!
OK, based on that qualification, I vote for Hermione. Or whatever female character is hot in the kiddie movies these days.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
OK, based on that qualification, I vote for Hermione. Or whatever female character is hot in the kiddie movies these days.
Yup, you got it Harley. Foster kitty names should be attractive to potential adopters. It's not like naming a personal pet.

This is why I look for names appealing to the general public, particularly little girls. Can't tell you how many times I've seen kitties adopted because someone's darling daughter fell in love with them.

"Thank heaven for little girls". The mantra of so many homeless kittens

Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

That's a really nice thing you're doing Purron.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Here Kitty Kitty kitty
Old 09-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here Kitty Kitty kitty

I like cats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LionessorganizinghuntSerondella.jpg (654.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PA030073.jpg (682.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Lion#2eyeballing#1.jpg (866.1 KB, 1 views)
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
I like cats.
Oh, you like big kitties. I have the purrfect kitten in mind for you