The HVAC Saga Continues

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Brief synopsis:
My HVAC (bought through Costco) gave off a bad smell when the a/c was on. The smell was caused by coating of the a/c coils. My HVAC was still under warranty. After a long-ish wait, the faulty coils were replaced by the company that installed the HVAC. No charge.

The quote below is from another thread started by me.

The HVAC guys didn't have any paperwork to leave with me. So, I'll be calling the company for whatever paperwork is necessary for the next trial-by-HVAC that comes up.
++++++++

Here is the paper chase so far:
I called the company that installed both the HVAC and the new coils, asking for the paperwork. No reply. Called several times. No reply. Sent an email stating what the paperwork needed to contain. No reply. Called Costco to help me out. Costco got in touch with the company and I got an email later that day which included some sort of work order with no identifying information regarding the replacement coil. No warranty information was included. The company is not responding to my calls or to my follow-up email.

What do you think may be going on? Why are they not just giving me the paperwork? I will be calling Costco Monday for hopefully some much-needed clout. But, then...?

Brief synopsis:
My HVAC (bought through Costco) gave off a bad smell when the a/c was on. The smell was caused by coating of the a/c coils. My HVAC was still under warranty. After a long-ish wait, the faulty coils were replaced by the company that installed the HVAC. No charge.

The quote below is from another thread started by me.

++++++++

Here is the paper chase so far:
I called the company that installed both the HVAC and the new coils, asking for the paperwork. No reply. Called several times. No reply. Sent an email stating what the paperwork needed to contain. No reply. Called Costco to help me out. Costco got in touch with the company and I got an email later that day which included some sort of work order with no identifying information regarding the replacement coil. No warranty information was included. The company is not responding to my calls or to my follow-up email.

What do you think may be going on? Why are they not just giving me the paperwork? I will be calling Costco Monday for hopefully some much-needed clout. But, then...?
Costco seems to do a pretty so-so job with contractors. Many people vow never again after going through one of these mashups.

everything nowadays is electronic. No one gets too excited about paper

just channeling the milleranials a bit

So did you contract with installer directly or did you go through Costco for the installation?

The reason that I ask is that the installer may not consider you their customer and rely on Costco to handle all the "customer service" issues.

Their negotiated rates with Costco for installation may be much reduced over their retail rates.

Bottom line, ask Costco to get you the paperwork if they arranged this and received your payment. They will have more leverage with the installer then you will -- assuming that you went through Costco for the installation.

-gauss

So did you contract with installer directly or did you go through Costco for the installation?...

Bottom line, ask Costco to get you the paperwork if they arranged this and received your payment. They will have more leverage with the installer then you will -- assuming that you went through Costco for the installation.

-gauss

It worked like this: Costco gave me the name of a HVAC installer to deal with. I then only dealt with the installer--except to directly pay Costco after the unit was installed. Costco is involved only in the very beginning and in the very end. The manufacturer (Lennox) has signage at Costco. The installer is a authorized dealer of Lennox.

So, I have this a/c coil in my house and I know nothing about it. I don't know the manufacturer, I have no proof of the date it was installed, no warranty and of course, if it's ever recalled I'll never know about it.

I'm concerned that they might have installed an air conditioner from a salvaged 1976 Mercury Monarch.

I assume you're talking about the A coil in your air handler. These are essentially generic items--with one looking like another.

In the old days, A coils would have standing water rust out the galvanized pan they're mounted in. However most A coils now have plastic pans, and they're not nearly as troublesome as in the past.

Sounds as if you never want to use the services of that installer again since you've been ignored. Just keep a copy of your method of payment to Cosco for documentation on date, etc. You've tried to get the documents, but chances are they won't tell you anything. Just go and enjoy your day if your unit is working well. Be glad you have a Lennox unit, which is a premium brand.

There are serial numbers on the equipment.
I have furnace/blower, a/c handler, and a/c unit (outside). All three have id plates, serials nos. etc.
Use your phone to capture the information. Then contact the manufacturer to see what's going on.

After a few months, I went through the Rheem echonet setting for both systems. This opens up many possibilities. For example., just turned on the lower level system fan to circulate the air. Plenty more to check out, such as vacation schedules.

I would contact Lennox. They must have paid the installer to replace the defective unit but I don't really see how it makes much difference since unit still has the same warranty eg replacement picks up remaining warranty from original. And those Mercury systems were pretty stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom