Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The Liberals' War
Old 09-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Australia still loves us...................from what I hear............
Hopefully Bush will be out of office before we invade Australia and have them hate us also. :

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
twisted, cynical, sinister, crooked, cruel, sociopathologic, and the like
You left out condescending, stubborn, misguided, delusional, and irritating...

Quote:
Maybe that's why I enjoy your posts.
Hey, JG; isn't it against board rules to have two IDs... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR

Hey, JG; isn't it against board rules to have two IDs...* :P
Much as I enjoy JG, I can assure you that he and I are two different people!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #104

I don't feel the least bit sorry for Bush or any members of his administration. Principled people resign when their boss goes off the deep end.

My fellow geezers, remember the Saturday Night Massacre? President Nixon ordered Attorney General Elliot Richardson to fire special prosecutor Archibald Cox, who was appointed by Richardson to investigate the Watergate matters. Richardson refused and resigned in protest. Nixon then ordered Deputy Attorney General Ruckelshaus to fire Cox. Ruckelshaus also refused but didn't resign, and Nixon fired him. Solicitor General Robert Bork, however, was only too happy to fire Cox. (But Congress remembered when Bork was up for Supreme Court Justice, and he was rejected.) What a national nightmare! At least nobody died.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:04 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I don't feel the least bit sorry for Bush or any members of his administration. Principled people resign when their boss goes off the deep end.

My fellow geezers, remember the Saturday Night Massacre? President Nixon ordered Attorney General Elliot Richardson to fire special prosecutor Archibald Cox, who was appointed by Richardson to investigate the Watergate matters. Richardson refused and resigned in protest. Nixon then ordered Deputy Attorney General Ruckelshaus to fire Cox. Ruckelshaus also refused but didn't resign, and Nixon fired him. Solicitor General Robert Bork, however, was only too happy to fire Cox. (But Congress remembered when Bork was up for Supreme Court Justice, and he was rejected.) What a national nightmare! At least nobody died.
Well, this is something I didn't know. Republicans portrayed this as an unjustified attack. Why werenít these facts stated when he was rejected? Itís very hard to find the truth with all the partisan politics.

I was a little to young to follow the Nixon drama.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:24 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Well, this is something I didn't know. Republicans portrayed this as an unjustified attack. Why werenít these facts stated when he was rejected? Itís very hard to find the truth with all the partisan politics.

I was a little to young to follow the Nixon drama.
Of course it was stated. We liberals couldn't stand Bork for his policies but the Watergate piece added a little fuel to the fire.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:38 PM   #107

Quote:
Itís very hard to find the truth
Indeede. "Politics ain't beanbag."* Things happen for multiple reasons. Democratic members of Congress had learned to despise, distrust, and fear the very partisan Bork (partisanship is a two-way street!).

* About the author of the beanbag quip, from Wikipedia:

Finley Peter Dunne (July 10, 1867ĖApril 24, 1936) was a Chicago-based U.S. author, writer and humorist. He wrote Mr. Dooley in Peace and War in 1898. "Mr. Dooley" became one of the first nationally syndicated newspaper features. Set in a South Side Chicago Irish pub, Mr. Dooley, the owner and bartender, would expound upon political and social issues of the day, using the thick verbiage and accent of an Irish immigrant. Dunne's sly humor and political acumen won the support of President Theodore Roosevelt, a frequent target of Mr. Dooley's barbs. <Ed: no "you're with us or you're against us" from Republican T Roosevelt--go Teddy!>
Dunne was a charter member of a social circle of Chicago writers who frequently lampooned and competed with their New York City colleagues in pranks and outlandish stunts. He coined numerous political quips over the years. He is perhaps best known today as the originator of the aphorism "politics ain't beanbag".

Dunne was a friend of Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), with whom he played billiards, smoked cigars and drank. He was a member of Twain's "Damned Human Race Luncheon Club."

He coined the word "southpaw" for a left-handed baseball pitcher while covering sports in Chicago in the 1880's. Home plate in the Chicago ball park was then to the west, so that a left-handed pitcher released the ball from the "paw", or hand, on the south side. The word soon came to describe any left-hander. (QPB Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins by Robert Hendrickson ).

Some fine quotes form Mr Dunne (many more on Wikipedia--these were my faves):

"Swearing was invented as a compromise between running away and fighting."

"Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts."

"Among men, Hennessy, wet eye means dry heart."

"The best husbands stay bachelors; they're too considerate to get married."

"High finance isn't burglary or obtaining money by false pretenses, but rather a judicious selection from the best features of those fine arts."

"One of the strangest things about life is that the poor, who need money the most, are the very ones that never have it."

"Like most poets, preachers, and metaphysicians, he burst into conclusion at a spark of evidence."

"A lie with a purpose is one of the worst kind, and the most profitable."

(A little learnin' with the opinionatin' seems like a good deal )
Old 09-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Of course it was stated. We liberals couldn't stand Bork for his policies but the Watergate piece added a little fuel to the fire.
Maybe I was a little too young to get the Watergate connection. But I was never a Nixon fan. A Regan one yes.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #109

I was in junior high during Watergate and did not know Bork's role. But I remember his appointment hearings and thought his nomination was nixed (accidental pun) because of the perception that he would overturn Roe v Wade.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
I was in junior high during Watergate and did not know Bork's role. But I remember his appointment hearings and thought his nomination was nixed (accidental pun) because of the perception that he would overturn Roe v Wade.
My family in the 60's were big Kennedy Democrats. In the 80's they were all Regan Republicans. Including me.

I am not real happy with either party now.

They both seem to have lost their way.

Too much strident partisan politics, not enough thought about what is right for the people who elected them and the Country.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My family in the 60's were big Kennedy Democrats. In the 80's they were all Regan Republicans. Including me.
Lemme guess - Catholics, from the south side of Chicago or Boston. But now they are back in the dem camp?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm

My sister Cath-lic - south side of Kelso Washington.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh