The Liberals' War

FinanceDude said:
Australia still loves us...................from what I hear............ :D :D

Hopefully Bush will be out of office before we invade Australia and have them hate us also. ::)

twisted, cynical, sinister, crooked, cruel, sociopathologic, and the like

You left out condescending, stubborn, misguided, delusional, and irritating...

Maybe that's why I enjoy your posts.

Hey, JG; isn't it against board rules to have two IDs... :p

HFWR said:
Hey, JG; isn't it against board rules to have two IDs...  :p

Much as I enjoy JG, I can assure you that he and I are two different people! ;)

I don't feel the least bit sorry for Bush or any members of his administration. Principled people resign when their boss goes off the deep end.

My fellow geezers, remember the Saturday Night Massacre? President Nixon ordered Attorney General Elliot Richardson to fire special prosecutor Archibald Cox, who was appointed by Richardson to investigate the Watergate matters. Richardson refused and resigned in protest. Nixon then ordered Deputy Attorney General Ruckelshaus to fire Cox. Ruckelshaus also refused but didn't resign, and Nixon fired him. Solicitor General Robert Bork, however, was only too happy to fire Cox. (But Congress remembered when Bork was up for Supreme Court Justice, and he was rejected.) What a national nightmare! At least nobody died.

astromeria said:
I don't feel the least bit sorry for Bush or any members of his administration. Principled people resign when their boss goes off the deep end.

My fellow geezers, remember the Saturday Night Massacre? President Nixon ordered Attorney General Elliot Richardson to fire special prosecutor Archibald Cox, who was appointed by Richardson to investigate the Watergate matters. Richardson refused and resigned in protest. Nixon then ordered Deputy Attorney General Ruckelshaus to fire Cox. Ruckelshaus also refused but didn't resign, and Nixon fired him. Solicitor General Robert Bork, however, was only too happy to fire Cox. (But Congress remembered when Bork was up for Supreme Court Justice, and he was rejected.) What a national nightmare! At least nobody died.

Well, this is something I didn't know. Republicans portrayed this as an unjustified attack. Why weren’t these facts stated when he was rejected? It’s very hard to find the truth with all the partisan politics.

I was a little to young to follow the Nixon drama.

Lazarus said:
Well, this is something I didn't know. Republicans portrayed this as an unjustified attack. Why weren’t these facts stated when he was rejected? It’s very hard to find the truth with all the partisan politics.

I was a little to young to follow the Nixon drama.
Of course it was stated. We liberals couldn't stand Bork for his policies but the Watergate piece added a little fuel to the fire.

Lazarus said:
It’s very hard to find the truth
Indeede. "Politics ain't beanbag."* Things happen for multiple reasons. Democratic members of Congress had learned to despise, distrust, and fear the very partisan Bork (partisanship is a two-way street!).

* About the author of the beanbag quip, from Wikipedia:

Finley Peter Dunne (July 10, 1867–April 24, 1936) was a Chicago-based U.S. author, writer and humorist. He wrote Mr. Dooley in Peace and War in 1898. "Mr. Dooley" became one of the first nationally syndicated newspaper features. Set in a South Side Chicago Irish pub, Mr. Dooley, the owner and bartender, would expound upon political and social issues of the day, using the thick verbiage and accent of an Irish immigrant. Dunne's sly humor and political acumen won the support of President Theodore Roosevelt, a frequent target of Mr. Dooley's barbs. <Ed: no "you're with us or you're against us" from Republican T Roosevelt--go Teddy!>
Dunne was a charter member of a social circle of Chicago writers who frequently lampooned and competed with their New York City colleagues in pranks and outlandish stunts. He coined numerous political quips over the years. He is perhaps best known today as the originator of the aphorism "politics ain't beanbag".

Dunne was a friend of Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), with whom he played billiards, smoked cigars and drank. He was a member of Twain's "Damned Human Race Luncheon Club."

He coined the word "southpaw" for a left-handed baseball pitcher while covering sports in Chicago in the 1880's. Home plate in the Chicago ball park was then to the west, so that a left-handed pitcher released the ball from the "paw", or hand, on the south side. The word soon came to describe any left-hander. (QPB Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins by Robert Hendrickson ).

Some fine quotes form Mr Dunne (many more on Wikipedia--these were my faves):

"Swearing was invented as a compromise between running away and fighting."

"Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts."

"Among men, Hennessy, wet eye means dry heart."

"The best husbands stay bachelors; they're too considerate to get married."

"High finance isn't burglary or obtaining money by false pretenses, but rather a judicious selection from the best features of those fine arts."

"One of the strangest things about life is that the poor, who need money the most, are the very ones that never have it."

"Like most poets, preachers, and metaphysicians, he burst into conclusion at a spark of evidence."

"A lie with a purpose is one of the worst kind, and the most profitable."

(A little learnin' with the opinionatin' seems like a good deal ;))

donheff said:
Of course it was stated. We liberals couldn't stand Bork for his policies but the Watergate piece added a little fuel to the fire.

Maybe I was a little too young to get the Watergate connection. But I was never a Nixon fan. A Regan one yes.

I was in junior high during Watergate and did not know Bork's role. But I remember his appointment hearings and thought his nomination was nixed (accidental pun) because of the perception that he would overturn Roe v Wade.

Leonidas said:
I was in junior high during Watergate and did not know Bork's role. But I remember his appointment hearings and thought his nomination was nixed (accidental pun) because of the perception that he would overturn Roe v Wade.

My family in the 60's were big Kennedy Democrats. In the 80's they were all Regan Republicans. Including me.

I am not real happy with either party now.

They both seem to have lost their way.

Too much strident partisan politics, not enough thought about what is right for the people who elected them and the Country.

Lazarus said:
My family in the 60's were big Kennedy Democrats. In the 80's they were all Regan Republicans. Including me.

Lemme guess - Catholics, from the south side of Chicago or Boston. But now they are back in the dem camp?

Hmmmm

My sister Cath-lic - south side of Kelso Washington.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

Back
Top Bottom