The Masters 2016

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
There's nothing in golf like the back nine on Sunday afternoon at the Masters. I wasn't pulling for or against anyone, but you have to feel for Spieth. But he will win many more times...

He won't win the Masters many more times. Maybe two or three if he is incredibly fortunate. The competition is very fierce and it only takes one hole to have it all slip away as we saw today. What a beautiful golf course. Do you think Bernhard will consider FIRE now.... not on your life! And did you see the tape of Gary and Jack teeing off. Wow. I would have been happy with the swing Gary has now when I was in my 20s!

I was pulling for Jordan Spieth but even though he was scoring well it was due to scrambling and a hot putter. I was particularly surprised that he chunked his third shot on 12 into the water since his wedge play is usually so good. I'm sure he will get over it and shine again.... in retrospect, he really only had three really bad swings on that back nine and those three bad swings made a world of difference.

Those three hole-in-ones on 16 were pretty amazing... especially that third one which was a ricochet job.

Last edited:
....Wow. I would have been happy with the swing Gary has now when I was in my 20s!

I had the pleasure of following Gary Player and Jack Nicholas in the last round of the Jackie Gleason Classic in 1977. What was amazing to me was that Player is a really small guy, shorter than me and I'm only 5' 7" but he has this silky smooth swing with beautiful tempo and the ball just launches off the club when he strike it.

I had the good fortune to attend the 1989 Masters on Sat & Sun, Faldo won in a dramatic playoff. What you see on TV doesn't begin to do justice to the course in person - it is more beautiful and the topography is way more severe than you can see on TV. If you ever get the chance to go, I'd highly recommend it.

I had the good fortune to attend the 1989 Masters on Sat & Sun, Faldo won in a dramatic playoff. What you see on TV doesn't begin to do justice to the course in person - it is more beautiful and the topography is way more severe than you can see on TV. If you ever get the chance to go, I'd highly recommend it.

some day I hope.

I was pulling for Jordan Spieth but even though he was scoring well it was due to scrambling and a hot putter. I was particularly surprised that he chunked his third shot on 12 into the water since his wedge play is usually so good. I'm sure he will get over it and shine again.... in retrospect, he really only had three really bad swings on that back nie and those three bad swings made a world of difference.

Those three hole-in-ones on 16 were pretty amazing... especially that third one which was a ricochet job.

Epic collapse. A quad on 12, just wow! He's got a shaky swing, but seems to pull off miracles, and has an amazing putting stroke and reads.

Jordan did receive a check for $850,000.00 however. Feel bad for the kid, but not too bad!

I suspect little solace to him and he would happily trade the money for another green jacket.

A player who really dominates the sport like Nicklaus or Tiger (when he was still good) only comes along once in a long while.

Epic collapse. A quad on 12, just wow! He's got a shaky swing, but seems to pull off miracles, and has an amazing putting stroke and reads.

His drives looked tentative and his swing inconsistent on the back nine. Even when he was hitting birdies, it seemed more because he was making really good chip/approach shots and clutch putts. Most of the first shots off the tee just weren't very good (he said noting it's all relative, it's still better than 99% of us could do). His first stroke often left himself in a predicament, which he usually escaped from. Not on the 12th, though....

Funny, my worst shot when I played Saturday was a chunked wedge from 90 yards. The divot nearly went as far as the ball, but when the ball hit the ground, I got a few yards more of roll :) But of course, this wasn't Sunday at the Masters on number 12.

He's been a little shaky the last few weeks, but his short game has been so good he has been able to post good scores. His driver has really hurt him lately. If he gets that worked out, he will be in the winner circle again.

Funny, my worst shot when I played Saturday was a chunked wedge from 90 yards. The divot nearly went as far as the ball, but when the ball hit the ground, I got a few yards more of roll :) But of course, this wasn't Sunday at the Masters on number 12.

And I'm guessing that there was not a huge creek between you and the green. :)

I do have to say that while he was obviously in pain that he was quite gracious in defeat and composed given the situation (at least outwardly). I'm sure we'll see him hoisting a trophy again soon.

Watched the whole thing yesterday and didn't surprise me to see Jordan have a blow up hole especially after the third round finish. The person I always felt sorry for was Norman, you talk about being snake bit, it is still painful to watch how he self destructed Sunday on the back.

And I'm guessing that there was not a huge creek between you and the green. :)

Haha, actually I would have been short of the creek! Jordan's was nearly short of it, too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I do have to say that while he was obviously in pain that he was quite gracious in defeat and composed given the situation (at least outwardly). I'm sure we'll see him hoisting a trophy again soon.

Yeah, he has an amazing ability to recover, both during the round and after!

Watched the whole thing yesterday and didn't surprise me to see Jordan have a blow up hole especially after the third round finish. The person I always felt sorry for was Norman, you talk about being snake bit, it is still painful to watch how he self destructed Sunday on the back.

I wasn't surprised by a blow up hole but I thought it would be a double-bogey and not a quad-bogie. I'm guessing that it has been a long, long time since Jordan has had a quad-bogie in competition. If it had been a double then he still would have lost but it certainly would have been more interesting.

Norman's implosion was much more painful to watch as it was over the course of the entire round rather than on a three holes.

But let's give Willett some credit too... he had a stellar final round. When you're in the hunt and shoot the best round of the day in they final round you frequently win.

Last edited:

Yeah that was sad, I think because it was his best chance. Jordan won last year, so hard to feel too bad.

I wasn't surprised by a blow up hole but I thought it would be a double-bogey and not a quad-bogie. I'm guessing that it has been a long, long time since Jordan has had a quad-bogie in competition. If it had been a double then he still would have lost but it certainly would have been more interesting.

Norman's implosion was much more painful to watch as it was over the course of the entire round rather than on a three holes.

But let's give Willett some credit too... he had a stellar final round. When you're in the hunt and shoot the best round of the day in they final round you frequently win.

Willett played great. I don't know about you guys but Speith's pre-shot got really tough to watch after about the 15th hole.

Willett played great. I don't know about you guys but Speith's pre-shot got really tough to watch after about the 15th hole.

Yes.....he's a little too slow. And all the constant chatter with is caddie before and after a shot is a little annoying. I like Spieth and hope he wins another major, but he does need to speed up a bit.

+1 but I play with a couple people who have obnoxious pre-shot routines so it doesn't bother me too much. What is interesting is that when he is swinging back and forth loosening up his caddy was frequently very close to where he was swinging... uncomfortably close to me.

I actually like hearing the chatter between him and his caddy and what they are talking about but I can't really hear enough to understand. I wish that they had not cut away from the discussion he was having with the rules official when he was impeded by the plastic cover on that par 5 hole on the back nine. He was starting to say that he wanted to make absolutely sure that whatever relief he was taking was legal and then they cut away from the conversation as that would have been interesting to listen in on.

Back
Top Bottom