The pitfalls of fishing trips

It gets worse. 3 are brothers, with a nephew along. Myself and my brother also went. Now they want to give their nephew "a pass" on paying anything to include my brother and I picking up his tab. WTF:confused:

This sets new highs in sheer gall in my opinion.

Well, now that's over the line if it was not discussed beforehand.

As for whether to the pay what they think your share is or stand your ground, the amount of the difference might be a factor. Your call.

But I would not go on another excursion with any of the 3 brothers or the nephew again. If you choose not to pay extra, this will probably come naturally.

The problem the OP has is that he fronted the entire bill, they own him money, live and learn never do that again for anybody.

Ah, I missed that part. In that case, I'd tell them they must repay me in cash (no checks), whatever they feel they owe (even if it's less than what I think they owe), and then once I had cash in hand, tell them to go screw themselves.

I'd also spread the word to all my fishing buddies never to go on a trip with those clowns.

I feel for the OP. I learned long ago never to front money, even for picking up lunches for a group of people. They never want to pay tax, tip or even the full charge for their food. It is a quirk of human nature.

I feel for the OP. I learned long ago never to front money, even for picking up lunches for a group of people. They never want to pay tax, tip or even the full charge for their food. It is a quirk of human nature.

No, the OP just needs to find some classier friends. Our DD and husband often dine out with a group of friends from college. She says the one that uses the charge card to pay for the bill ALWAYS end up with extra cash.

No, the OP just needs to find some classier friends. Our DD and husband often dine out with a group of friends from college. She says the one that uses the charge card to pay for the bill ALWAYS end up with extra cash.
Does your daughter like to fish?

The problem the OP has is that he fronted the entire bill, they owe him money, live and learn never do that again for anybody.

I missed this part, too.

I'd say take whatever they will give you and cease any contact with them.

dtbach,
You're correct that's way over the line. I could almost go along with the tip, if it were for good friends. Picking up the nephews tab, no way. That's not how buddies split things.

Someone suggested letting them decide how much they owe. I'm guessing if you do that, you'll learn something about your buddies. I hope they're just pulling your leg.

OP can you confirm you paid most of the cost, when you say you paid the bill, I'm assuming that they owe you some money..I'm not sure if I got this right.

Yes, OP said he paid the bill but I hope/suppose there are other bills that others have paid for that need to be divided as well.

If the three brothers want to share the cost of their nephew, then fine for them - they can each chip in 1/3 of the nephew's cost at the end, but it is definitely not fair for them to expect you and your brother to pay for their nephew. What gall!

I agree with others that I would avoid future trips with these guys if that is how they want to share costs.

People disappoint it is their problem though, don't make it yours. Use your new found knowledge for guidance when dealing with them, or cut 'em loose, proceed forward.

This thread reminds me of a thread from a year or two ago. I think it was camping instead of fishing. Cheapskates on groceries where the bills were added into a pool then split equally, with the ER forum member being slighted somehow.

Makes me want to draft a contract before I engage in any joint vacation ventures. :)

Sometimes you have to be the bigger man.

Fairness is definitely in the eye of the beholder that is for sure. And I understand where you are coming from. Last year a friend reserved a lake home for a group stay. 3 groups... Two family of 4's and myself.... Yet it was determined by the friend who booked it to split the bill equally 3 ways. I didn't fight it, but I sure got the short end of that stick, and still am curious how this fuzzy math was arrived at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Were they extra bedrooms for the families of 4:confused: If all 4 stayed in one bedroom and you stayed in one.... well, not as fuzzy math... now, if you paid 1/3 of the food.... well, then that is pretty fuzzy....

Were they extra bedrooms for the families of 4:confused: If all 4 stayed in one bedroom and you stayed in one.... well, not as fuzzy math... now, if you paid 1/3 of the food.... well, then that is pretty fuzzy....

It was a 5 bedroom place. They had 2 rooms apiece for the kids and themselves and I had the one. The wives have jobs too so it wasn't divided that way either. I guess he just thought "three different groups" divide it by three. He is a good guy and not the screw you over or cheapo type. I just thought it odd. Of course I could have put my big boy pants on and said something too, but I didn't, so that's on me. The food....I wish you hadn't brought that up cause we split that 3 ways too at the store and I didn't think of that! But we also ate out several times too and I only paid for myself there, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did the nephew go with the guide? I'd be SUPER chapped if that's the case.

However... in most cases like this I tend to raise the issue as a point... then back off if they don't back down.

Yes he did! If I had known they wanted all of us to pay for his trip, I would have gone with the guide.

It's all good though. The brothers said they would foot the nephews bill. I tossed in a $100 also as he is a good kid. The main thing is that none of this news was up front.

I caught a 10# Walleye so not all was bad LOL:dance:

The food....I wish you hadn't brought that up cause we split that 3 ways too at the store and I didn't think of that! But we also ate out several times too and I only paid for myself there, though.

I have observed several times that singles are expected to make more than our fair share of contributions compared to couples when it comes to shared consumables. For example, if a couple visits me for dinner, let's say they bring a bottle of wine. That's great. But when I go to their house, If I turn up with half a bottle of wine, people will say I am cheap! The inequality is most pronounced in pot lucks. Every couple and every single brings one dish, and the couple's dish is not necessarily bigger. And there us always too much food!

We used to joke with a girlfriend of ours that we'd like to use "couple math" whenever she traveled with DH and me. You know...split the hotel room in half instead of thirds, since she got a whole bed to herself!
Kidding...kidding...but the joke came from a true story where that happened to her with some mutual friends.

It was a 5 bedroom place. They had 2 rooms apiece for the kids and themselves and I had the one. The wives have jobs too so it wasn't divided that way either. I guess he just thought "three different groups" divide it by three. He is a good guy and not the screw you over or cheapo type. I just thought it odd. Of course I could have put my big boy pants on and said something too, but I didn't, so that's on me. The food....I wish you hadn't brought that up cause we split that 3 ways too at the store and I didn't think of that!

Umm...you say he's a "good guy and not the screw you over" type, but that's exactly what he did to you! How do you think he'd reply if you said "Why don't you and the other couple just pay my way for the room and food? It's just a rounding error in your totals compared to you, your wife, and the kids!". He would probably accuse you of not paying your own way - but they surely didn't pay for their own kids ways!

Hell...if that's the case, for the next trip, bring along 5 of your closest ER Forum friends to tag along, so our expenses can be borne by the other 2 families, and we'll reimburse you behind the scenes. :)

I agree with OP that he got screwed.

I rented a car, drove BIL and SIL around in Italy paid tolls, a couple tanks of gas, and no offer to pay anything. Not even a thanks for driving.

Well you were going there anyway. They were just along for the ride. jk

Sent from my BNTV600 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Actually the reason we needed a car was that they wanted to explore off the beaten path with no train service

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Actually the reason we needed a car was that they wanted to explore off the beaten path with no train service

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

jk means just kidding

Sent from my BNTV600 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom