The pitfalls of fishing trips

dtbach

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just got back from a fishing trip where all had a good time. I paid the bill and then gave the reciept to the guy who was doing all the accounting (he's an accountant after all!)

Anyway, 3 of the guys went with a guide that we all agreed to pay for ($400) and the other 3 of us went fishing on our own. Since we were going to be at the lake for 5 days, the other guys were going to give us all the info they learned.

The guys who went with the guide limited out by noon and then went to more sites for catch and release. The guide also cleaned and bagged all of the fish for them. And then they gave the guide a nice tip.

And they added the tip to the group costs. This didn't seem right to me as 1) they got to go with the guide, not the rest of us. 2) They had the guide clean all their fish (the rest of us of course cleaned our own) and 3) tips to me are a personal thing.

Hell, I'd also give a nice big fat tip if I knew 5 others were sharing the cost.

Do I have an argument or is it their right to charge us all.

You have an argument.... the tip is part of the cost of the guide which you had said you did not want to partake...

Now, the other side can say.... hey, you got the knowledge of the guide and should pay SOMETHING for that.... but I do not agree with this argument...

It was an odd exchange even to begin with ($67 in exchange for some intelligence about where the fish are, what bait to use, etc.) and I think you have a point on who should bear the cost of the tip. Did they go with the guide just one day or more than one day?

You got value from the guide, he's earned something. The way your buddies handled it(tip) is odd, to say the least.
Far as cleaning fish, well if I caught them, I clean them. The guide cleaned theirs as he would for any paying client.

Wacky. I usually tip in cash where it is called for. I think the guys that used the guide should pay the tip.

Mostly I would rather hunt and fish solo. No issues with other people and I value the alone time. Sneaking off pre dawn tomorrow to try my hand at dove hunting by my lonesome.

Wacky. I usually tip in cash where it is called for. I think the guys that used the guide should pay the tip.

Mostly I would rather hunt and fish solo. No issues with other people and I value the alone time. Sneaking off pre dawn tomorrow to try my hand at dove hunting by my lonesome.

This was on Devil's Lake, ND. It's HUGE 330 sq. miles, so yeah, we needed a guide to show us where to go and what type bait and style to use. All of us agreed to share in the $400 cost. But only 3 could go with him.

It's small change but then I didn't charge for the whiskey I brought (only one who did but several helped themselves to it, no big deal) or ice I bought for coolers, etc.

Just seems to me that a tip is for service that you personally got. Hell, I'll go with the guide next time and give him $100 knowing that I am only out 1/6 of it. Just pisses me off.

The guys that had the guide should have paid more.

But the bigger picture is that you had a good time. So if the other five are good friends I would probably mention it but not get too pushy about it. Next time you all can discuss the guide thing in advance, assuming there is a next time.

My own story: About 35 years ago a friend and I set out in my car on a one week driving trip to some places we had never been. We agreed in advance to split fuel and lodging costs 50/50. I picked him up at his place with a full tank of gas. At the end of the trip, the last thing I did before dropping him off was fill the tank. At his apartment we sat at the kitchen table and sorted through the receipts to "settle up". We were in total agreement on everything except that last tank of gas. I explained that the tank was full when we started, and it should be returned to that state at the end of the trip. He did not see it that way. I honestly do not remember how it ended. We remained friends and did other trips together for several years before life sent us in different directions. Looking back, I would say the price of that one tank of gas did not matter.

I was once in a situation where I was taken advantage of. However, I had invited a person of limited means as a guest, so I just sucked it up. I won't be repeating the invitation though.

Did you all get value from the guide? In other words, did you all catch more fish because of guidance from the guide (where to fish/what bait/lure/method)? If you all did get value even though you weren't with him, then share the tip and the good experience.
When we eat out with family or friends we always just split equally figuring it will all even out in the end. Minimizes any hard feelings.

I would bite the bullet and pay the extra. it's not like its an everyday thing and why ruin a vacation for a few bucks? next time you take the guide or do the high price things and even it out.

It gets worse. 3 are brothers, with a nephew along. Myself and my brother also went. Now they want to give their nephew "a pass" on paying anything to include my brother and I picking up his tab. WTF:confused:

This sets new highs in sheer gall in my opinion.

It gets worse. 3 are brothers, with a nephew along. Myself and my brother also went. Now they want to give their nephew "a pass" on paying anything to include my brother and I picking up his tab. WTF:confused:
:nonono: Shouldn't they pay for the nephew if they want to give him a pass?

I'd say nothing against the nephew, but if the 3 bros want to give him a pass they can pay it themselves. Not fair to change the arrangement after the fact.

Did the nephew go with the guide? I'd be SUPER chapped if that's the case.

However... in most cases like this I tend to raise the issue as a point... then back off if they don't back down.

I guess the moral of this story is don't be the guy who pays the entire bill! Or make sure everyone has enough money with them to pay you in cash at the end of the trip.

Right now I'd be thinking these guys are trying to put one over on me...would you have agreed to share the cost of the nephew if they had asked in advance? You don't say how close you are to these guys...if you are very close friends I'm not sure why you can't just discuss it openly. As in, nice you want to treat your nephew, his share divided by 3 is X dollars just add it your share.

JUSt pay up and write it off as a lesson learned. Next time, attempt to iron out who pays for what ahead of time.

JUSt pay up and write it off as a lesson learned. Next time, attempt to iron out who pays for what ahead of time.

Can't say I agree with this. What they are attempting is actually theft, the part about the nephew anyway. Would you tell the guide or the hotel you were reducing their payment buy 1/6? The owe the debt and need to make him whole except for his share.

They think they have the power of numbers on their side 4 vs 2 so they are flexing some muscle. I wonder if this is the first time they have acted cheap?

Fairness is definitely in the eye of the beholder that is for sure. And I understand where you are coming from. Last year a friend reserved a lake home for a group stay. 3 groups... Two family of 4's and myself.... Yet it was determined by the friend who booked it to split the bill equally 3 ways. I didn't fight it, but I sure got the short end of that stick, and still am curious how this fuzzy math was arrived at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't pay those losers one more cent. Then I'd tell them to F off, and never have anything to do with them again.

It's one thing to split a tip, even in questionable circumstances. I have several friends where we trade lunches back and forth, and I'm sure there have been some times where they've paid more, and some times I've paid more. It's no big deal and everything works out okay in the end because nobody's trying to stiff the other parties.

But what these guys are trying to do is too much. They really sound like schmucks to me, and nobody I'd want to hang out with anyway. I'd tell them to go pound sand.

I wouldn't pay those losers one more cent. Then I'd tell them to F off, and never have anything to do with them again.

It's one thing to split a tip, even in questionable circumstances. I have several friends where we trade lunches back and forth, and I'm sure there have been some times where they've paid more, and some times I've paid more. It's no big deal and everything works out okay in the end because nobody's trying to stiff the other parties.

But what these guys are trying to do is too much. They really sound like schmucks to me, and nobody I'd want to hang out with anyway. I'd tell them to go pound sand.

The problem the OP has is that he fronted the entire bill, they owe him money, live and learn never do that again for anybody.

Last edited:
The problem the OP has is that he fronted the entire bill, they own him money, live and learn never do that again for anybody.

+1
It is much easier for "guests" to discount the value of what they have participated in when they have not made an upfront contribution. They are being unscrupulous. Why not invoice them? There is nothing to lose, because they are not behaving like good friends do.

Back
Top Bottom