The Public Library

I'm a regular at the library also, love the books on cd and online reserving. Our library is part of a multi county system and it is all free as long as you pick up the books you reserver within 3 days, otherwise they charge you a $1/book. My only probably is when I reserver 4 books that all say long wait and 3 show up at the same time a few days later from 3 different libraries.

The big thing for my DW and me are the book sales, we hit 3 or 4 a year (probably more now that I'm retired). You buy books for 50 cents to a dollar each. Take as long as you want to read them (maybe sell a few on eBay if you're lucky) and donate the rest back to the next book sale.

Jeb

I have been a big fan of the local libraries forever. I have moved quite a bit over the years and always have gotten a library card as one of the first things that I did when moving into a new area.

I regularly recommend books, CD's and DVD's for them to purchase. 100% of my suggestions have been acted on.  I am quite often to first person to read the book when they release it to the public. I make most of my requests on line at their website as well as reserving books, CDs and DVD's there also. 

Mr Carnegie had a wonderful idea. Actually I believe that Ben Franklin initiated it originally, but it is a wonderful resource.

My DW on the other hand, is a big owner of books. Even though she is a professional librarian, she has to personally own and retain as many books as possible.

Dreamer said:
I was from a very poor family when I was a child.  I can remember my older sister taking me to the library.  I can remember the feeling of astonishment that I was allowed to take books home with me.  It was amazing.  I did not have any books at home.  The earliest books that I can remember was Raggedy Ann and Andy, then the Bobsey Twins, Nancy Drew and on and on.

We were poor, too; when we'd do the semi-annual shopping for clothes, I'd beg my mom to buy me one or two books instead.  Sometimes, she gave in and bought me the books plus the clothes.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
One of the things that is different about the USA is our libraries. Between Tom Jefferson, Ben Franklin and Andrew Carnegie (funny that he went back to Scotland in the end, eh?), we have a tradition that is unique in the whole world, in my experience.

Yes, public libraries would rank up in my list of what I love most about living in the US.  We have school libraries in the Philippines but the only public libe I was able to borrow from in the Philippines was the Thomas Jefferson Library in Makati. 

The public libraries here in the US are awesome!

Love the library too. I have a long commute, and books on CD really help pass the time. If I had the time, I'd work my way through thousands of books, just for the sheer pleasure of acquiring knowledge. Imagine how much you could learn if you were able to choose what you read every day (instead of your boss/customers)?

Library good.

I have to be obsessive about putting the due dates in my calendar app, though.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Wonder what will happen in retirement...
You'll read more, you'll read whatever you want, and it probably won't be related to your occupation.

My reading has at least tripled since retirement, but so has the size of my reading list...

Back
Top Bottom