Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: To you use a pooper scooper to clean up after your dog?
Yes. They are great! 1 5.26%
Yes. They are okay. 2 10.53%
No. Not worth the effort. I do it the (ick) old fashioned way. 15 78.95%
No. I look both ways, then run! ;-) 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

The Right Tool for the Dirty Job
Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Right Tool for the Dirty Job

Okay,

So, when your dog does is dirty deed do you use a pooper scooper?

I take my friends dog (he's a sweetheart of a dog) and of course, where's there's a dog, there's ...well you know...

I just ordered this from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Our Pets Skoop-N-Pak: Home & Garden

It is rated high. But there's a question about the bag sizes.

As of today, I voted number 3, "ick", but hope that I can say #1 "Great" when the picker-upper arrives.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Folks use the plastic bags that newspapers come in. Insert hand & forearm into bag like it was a glove. Then grab it and peel bag off your hand enclosing it within the bag.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

To clearify, my "old fashioned way" is to use plastic bags...no pickup tool used
Old 01-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #4

When I had a dogs, I used a flat shovel (coal shovel type) and a plastic kid's garden hoe. Then put the remains in a plastic bag.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Folks use the plastic bags that newspapers come in. Insert hand & forearm into bag like it was a glove. Then grab it and peel bag off your hand enclosing it within the bag.
That´s my style, save that I use discarded plastic grocery bags, of which we have plenty, yet
Old 01-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
That´s my style, save that I use discarded plastic grocery bags, of which we have plenty, yet
+1...

Of course, I clip the bag to the lead (where it attaches to the collar), so they get to carry their "gift" home where I dispose of the contents (in the woods - same place the bears go ...)
Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I use a long handled one. Love it!

Amazon.com: Doggie Dooley Dog Scoop: Home & Garden
Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #8

I use a garden trowel and a plastic grocery bag. I have a small dog.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Volume is the deciding factor. For our small dog, I use a plastic bag from the newspaper or grocery shopping. They are good for when we take a walk, too (you don't have to actually use it, but if you're walking the dog it's good to be seen with a plastic bag in your hand.) But sometimes a large dog comes to visit, and for that I use our scooper (two-piece--shovel and "pusher").

I should work on a little holder so the plastic bag can be affixed directly to the pup, like the bag horses use in parades. Most of us are fans of Direct Deposit, right?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
+2
Old 01-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
That what I used when I had a dog. He was an English Mastiff and never did the deed in one shot. ( I know TMI.)

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a neighbor that would walk her Great Dane and it would leave a large pile on our my sidewalk. One day, there was an extra large pile, I carefully shoveled it up and redeposited it on her sidewalk.... Problem solved from that day on.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
I had a neighbor that would walk her Great Dane and it would leave a large pile on our my sidewalk. One day, there was an extra large pile, I carefully shoveled it up and redeposited it on her sidewalk.... Problem solved from that day on.
You should have left there the material with which you had to clean up your shovel, too
Old 01-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
That what I used when I had a dog. He was an English Mastiff and never did the deed in one shot. ( I know TMI.)
I have a Belgium shephard.....I can imagine the English Mastiff´s shots
Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
Administrator

Amazing - - so far, 93% claim they pick it up (whether with pooper-scooper or other methods).

I don't think I have EVER seen anyone pick it up in my neighborhood, even when neighboring homeowners are outside. Apparently the ER forum is an exceptionally socially conscious bunch.

As for me, I don't have a dog.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

There is a county park near my house, which I am in at least four mornings a week. It's rare that I don't encounter at least a few dog walkers during my visit.

The park has a couple of very conveniently located places where you can grab a free plastic bag for picking up your dog's production.
But the remarkable thing is that I see few of the dog walkers using the provided bags. Nearly all of them bring their own bags, typically either supermarket bags or newspaper bags.

I've been using this park for over ten years, and have probably seen fewer than ten instances of non-compliance. Most people are good!

Still, I wish the signs were more like those I've seen in English parks. Can't remember the exact wording, but they go something like
"Pet owners are reminded that it is an offense to foul the footpath."
Old 01-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Amazing - - so far, 93% claim they pick it up (whether with pooper-scooper or other methods).

I don't think I have EVER seen anyone pick it up in my neighborhood, even when neighboring homeowners are outside. Apparently the ER forum is an exceptionally socially conscious bunch.

As for me, I don't have a dog.
It happens to be illegal here to not pick up after your dog - is that not the case in LA? People will call somone one out if they don't pick up their dog's "business"!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Still, I wish the signs were more like those I've seen in English parks. Can't remember the exact wording, but they go something like
"Pet owners are reminded that it is an offense to foul the footpath."
Here's a picture I took of a sign in England (on closer examination, it may have been Scotland, UK anyway):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00367.jpg (645.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #19

I was out walking in the woods the other day, a little way off the track. Some zealous but clueless dog owner who had passed the same way, had scooped up after their dog (as if they were in town) and hung the bag in a tree. So instead of leaving the poop on the forest floor where it would have gone in a week, they had preserved it for a year or more. They obviously had no clue about why and when you should scoop. Did they think that all the deer and wild boar in the woods use a flush toilet?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Okay,

So, when your dog does is dirty deed do you use a pooper scooper?

I take my friends dog (he's a sweetheart of a dog) and of course, where's there's a dog, there's ...well you know...

I just ordered this from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Our Pets Skoop-N-Pak: Home & Garden

It is rated high. But there's a question about the bag sizes.

As of today, I voted number 3, "ick", but hope that I can say #1 "Great" when the picker-upper arrives.

Well, I had the chance to use my new Skoop-N-Pak poop scooper today as I walked my friend's dog, and I give the scooper a thumbs up. There still is an ick factor as I still need to tie the bag, but that process is a lot better than nothing between my hands and the you know what but plastic.

I say, for a small dog (my friend's dog is about 20 lbs), the scooper works fine. But for larger dogs, I do see how that can be an issue.

Do I dare say, this device make the pick up process almost a joy