Will you let Amazon unlock your front door for deliveries?

I'd personally have no problem with it. Owning one of the less desirable TVs may be part of the equation. But for the sake of argument, I'll agree that the "case the joint" problem is probably the worst aspect.

I assume Amazon will be highly motivated to police their delivery drivers. No written contract can erase the bad press of people being robbed by their agents.

The idea of using cameras and remote verification of the address before unlocking the door seems pretty good protection.

Now, assuming your house is desirable to thieves, you may want a second lock. If you have an entry room from which not much of the rest of the house is visible, so much the better. Remember, the delivery guy or gal is on camera and won't be wandering around your house. You could also install this on an outside door, like a garage, which has another inside door that's still locked.

Finally, if you know your house is a target for thieves, it's not just the Amazon driver who will know that. So will anyone else who does any work for you. You should probably be doing additional security anyway.

Apparently, this system has already been hacked. It sure didn't take long.

It's literally the camera stops refreshing the image, so it shows no motion, no door opening, no one sneaking in the house. So the point is that at this point the courier could reenter the house, and I guess they've already done this once. I don't know why it says "reenter." But the courier reenters, does whatever they wish with no monitoring, with no surveillance, then exits and reactivates the camera and locks the door as usual. "This reentry," they write, "would be undetectable by the resident and would appear as a normal delivery in Amazon's data."
Thankfully, this problem was found by a good guy who reported it to Amazon. I do not know if it is fixed.

No way am I allowing any delivery person into my home. I will use those lockers at the local grocery store if I feel the need for extra security.

Last edited:
Nope. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not for us.

We have a keypad deadbolt on the front door (and keypad garage door opener), and we can provide temporary codes to very trusted friends etc. But access to our home for some Chuck (or Chick) in a truck? Duh, NO!

We shop a lot at Amazon and never had anything stolen. And, I really liked the free delivery last year of our 10 foot long awning that weighed about 100 pounds (instead of me schlepping it from Big Box to home).

NO! I don't believe I would ever allow A access to my house.

I have an 85 pound Shepard in my home, so I'm guessing I could use this service once.
I'll try it as long as the packaging will fit a full compliment of body parts.

We have a big plastic container we put on the porch when we're going to be out of town for a few days. We make sure to put a big note on the lid telling them to put packages in it. They've been pretty good about it so far. Before we did the note, they didn't put anything in it.
We have a large note on it and they will set boxes on top of it never in it .

Back
Top Bottom